Ban in Wales UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky1384

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Sheffield, UK
As I live in England I've heard this mentioned a few times in the local press. Unfortunately it is how our government act when we 'undermine the law'. It's embarrassing for them that we are apparently making a mockery of them in huge numbers by continuing to 'smoke' indoors using what they see as simply a loophole that leaves them with egg on their face. It's only because it's so popular now and uninformed anti-smokers are complaining, that they feel the need to put their foot down.

A typical example of the scaremongering here happened only a few days ago. The newspapers were raging about an elderly woman whos e-cigarette exploded and ignited her oxygen supply in hospital, causing severe burns. This was all over the front pages. The next day in a MUCH smaller section was the revelation that she had been trying to light it using a cigarette lighter :facepalm: The week before on the front pages was a worker in a pub who was injured by an ecig battery explosion. Barely a mention of the guy who was charging it in a very silly manner. It is this kind of reporting that is causing so many headaches for us here.

SouthBay

Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
St Brélade, Jersey
As I live in England I've heard this mentioned a few times in the local press. Unfortunately it is how our government act when we 'undermine the law'. It's embarrassing for them that we are apparently making a mockery of them in huge numbers by continuing to 'smoke' indoors using what they see as simply a loophole that leaves them with egg on their face. It's only because it's so popular now and uninformed anti-smokers are complaining, that they feel the need to put their foot down.

A typical example of the scaremongering here happened only a few days ago. The newspapers were raging about an elderly woman whos e-cigarette exploded and ignited her oxygen supply in hospital, causing severe burns. This was all over the front pages. The next day in a MUCH smaller section was the revelation that she had been trying to light it using a cigarette lighter :facepalm: The week before on the front pages was a worker in a pub who was injured by an ecig battery explosion. Barely a mention of the guy who was charging it in a very silly manner. It is this kind of reporting that is causing so many headaches for us here.

It seems ecigs are getting a lot of bad media, when the cause always seems to be stupidity rather than a fault with the device. I mean the one below where the puppy chewed a nicotine refill could have been avoided, yet they brand refill as 'dangerous' when somebody was stupid enough to leave it in reach of the puppy.

www. bbc .co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-27142760
BBC News - Leicester woman's 'shock' as 'e-cig explodes' in car

www. bbc .co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-26231522
BBC News - 'Dangerous' e-cigarette nicotine capsule kills puppy

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucky1384

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Sheffield, UK
To be fair, the puppy one sounds as though the owner made a genuine mistake and obviously regrets it. The dangerous stuff is all typical media fare (in that they will describe anything as dangerous just to add a little excitement). The woman's reaction is over the top to me, saying she will only use disposables now. She just needs educating about Ecigs :D

Sometimes I have to remind myself that the vast majority of ecig users do not belong to a forum, they don't research much and there's a lot of stuff out there that they have never seen or don't know how to use. They would scoff at the price of a Provari and give you a blank stare when you ask about lithium battery safety. It's just unfortunate that the tiny fraction of a % of people who get on the wrong side of a battery or nicotine is a reporters dream and is what causes scaremongering and ultimately government action amidst the outcry from the general public.

The most irritating thing to me is that the government picks and chooses what it feels like banning or restricting. The most obvious case of that is the farce that followed the Dunblane massacre. Because they failed to spot a psychopath when doing their background checks for a firearms license, they feel the need to completely ban all handguns except .22's. Then they take those too. THEN completely ignore the obvious fact that they have taken only certain weapons from law abiding normal people, but the criminals must gave forgotten to hand theirs in and the crime rate rockets up.
They also must have missed their own loopholes describing a handgun as less than 24" total length and a barrel length smaller than 12". There are many handguns in this country which are perfectly legal, because they have a long barrel and a thin piece of bar extending from the grip!

There are many cases showing their ignorance and stupidity, and it's unfortunate that they may make it very difficult to carry on this amazing, life preserving hobby because they are ignorant of the facts, extremely short sighted and pay too much mind to the media.

Ripshod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2014
Goole, United Kingdom
This doesn't make one bit of difference to me.

I'm of the mind that I don't mind going to a 'smokers' area cos at the end of the day 99% of us were smokers and the more we hang with them the more they'll see our kit and our health, and ask us about vaping. I don't mind the smell either, it's something I'm glad to smell outside of my own home. Not until the smell of cigarettes doesn't affect you can you consider yourself an ex-smoker (my opinion only). Until people learn the difference between smoking and vaping it's they way it was always destined to be.

Anyone in the East Riding will prob be glad to hear I'm opening an internet cafe soon, and at the back will be a (ventilated) vape cafe. Maybe sell some liquids, have a few open for clients to test, maybe even a few tanks/cartos and of course free advice. The sooner peeps see these high-street kits as starters and there's a load more options the better.

There will always be people who don't see the difference!!

*edit*

Sites like Gizmodo don't help by publishing the results of testing without giving details of where to find the details of the testing procedures or even detailed results. Of course carcinogens are released when you drip a fluid on a glowing coil, even glycerine burns at the right temperature.

Last edited:

adamfoul

Verified Member
Jul 9, 2013
Stoke-On-Trent, England
I wouldn't be happy with having to go back in to the smoking areas. At work, I am not allowed to vape indoors, but we have some benches outside where we are allowed to. Only problem is the is no shelter, so when it rains heavily I go to the smoking shelter, and since I quit I can't stand the smell. It's a shame, because most of the other vapers still use the smoking area, and I enjoy having a chat with them, but the smoke is just too much for me.

BEARDEDAl53

Jun 21, 2014
Llanidloes,Wales,UK
A number of things you can do to resist the proposed e-cig ban(for use in Public places) are summarised here

1) sign up to the Thunderclap https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/12762-stop-wales-from-banning-ecigs?locale=en 391 people already have .Anyone from Any Country can sign this

2) Sign the petition https://www.assemblywales.org/epetition-list-of-signatories.htm?pet_id=1023 currently signed by 563 ..again ANYONE from ANYWHERE can sign this

3 If you are Welsh reply + comment on the White Paper proposals

What its all about https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q1BNTHi7YYk

3 Items from Monday

ITV Wales programme on proposed Ban + 2 excellent blogs ( The first one contains a link to the ITV programme)

Wales This Week, Smoke Without Fire? | bekivapes

http://jester-midnightmusings.blogspot.co.uk/

The poll referred to in the programme - further enquiries revealed this

"SAMPLE- 1035 Welsh adults.
The Welsh Government is proposing to extend the ban on smoking in enclosed public places to include e-cigarettes, which do not contain tobacco. They are marketed as an aid to giving up cigarettes but there are also fears that they encourage people to take up smoking.
Do you think that e-cigarettes...
Encourage smoking - 15%
Help to reduce smoking - 42%
Both - 19%
Neither - 9%
Don't know - 15%
Do you think that the ban on smoking in enclosed public places should be extended to include e-cigarettes?
Should - 52%
Should Not - 37%
Don't know - 11%
Do you think that the ban on cigarette advertising should be extended to include e-cigarettes?
Should - 52%
Should Not - 34%
Don't know - 14%"

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
I've just got back from a short break in Wales (Cardiff) and whilst there i saw a total of 2 people using a vapouriser.
Every pub i went into (a lot !) allowed vaping (except Wetherspoons). I didn't see a single person vaping in a pub or bar.
Maybe the take up is low enough for the Government to push through this ridiculous ban without causing too much fuss.
As for anyone saying that vaping should be regulated the same as smoking i say to you grow some balls. Would you be happy if fried onions had to be eaten outside because someone objected to the smell. Would you consent to drinking your coffee or tea in an area where there are known carcinogens because someone objected to the steam ?..... I didn't start vaping so i could breath in cigarette smoke and smell of ashtrays.

SPACKlick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2014
Durham, UK
I'm studying in UK and I heard that e-cigs are treated like any other cigarettes. It's not allowed to smoke indoors. Other than this, I do not know. :)
You heard wrong. There are a few national businesses which have banned it indoors such as Wetherspoons chain of pubs. Otherwise it's very much legal to vape anywhere there isn't a clearly displayed sign or request from owner/staff etc.

seminolewind

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Corydon Indiana
To be fair, the puppy one sounds as though the owner made a genuine mistake and obviously regrets it. The dangerous stuff is all typical media fare (in that they will describe anything as dangerous just to add a little excitement). The woman's reaction is over the top to me, saying she will only use disposables now. She just needs educating about Ecigs :D

Sometimes I have to remind myself that the vast majority of ecig users do not belong to a forum, they don't research much and there's a lot of stuff out there that they have never seen or don't know how to use. They would scoff at the price of a Provari and give you a blank stare when you ask about lithium battery safety. It's just unfortunate that the tiny fraction of a % of people who get on the wrong side of a battery or nicotine is a reporters dream and is what causes scaremongering and ultimately government action amidst the outcry from the general public.

The most irritating thing to me is that the government picks and chooses what it feels like banning or restricting. The most obvious case of that is the farce that followed the Dunblane massacre. Because they failed to spot a psychopath when doing their background checks for a firearms license, they feel the need to completely ban all handguns except .22's. Then they take those too. THEN completely ignore the obvious fact that they have taken only certain weapons from law abiding normal people, but the criminals must gave forgotten to hand theirs in and the crime rate rockets up.
They also must have missed their own loopholes describing a handgun as less than 24" total length and a barrel length smaller than 12". There are many handguns in this country which are perfectly legal, because they have a long barrel and a thin piece of bar extending from the grip!

There are many cases showing their ignorance and stupidity, and it's unfortunate that they may make it very difficult to carry on this amazing, life preserving hobby because they are ignorant of the facts, extremely short sighted and pay too much mind to the media.

That's why I think we should flaunt what we have. I see more and more people walking around with an Ego, holding it, waiving it when they talk., but not vaping it. You get more decent questions that way and at least these people get an honest answer.

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2009
The State of Confusion
This is happening everywhere!

Not just the U.K. but the U.S. as well!

I work for a global company and they have classified e-cigs with their no smoking policies.

The office I work in has banned e cigs in the building and has stated we must vape in the designated smoking areas.

I was in Houston, Texas on business for a few weeks, and the hotel I stayed in was vape friendly!

Lets face it, there is a whole lot of ignorance world wide!

BP, BT, BG do not want to see e cigs unregulated and or not taxed, etc.
(Big Pharma, Big Tobacco, Big Government).

No matter where we live, it is our responsibilities to vote on these issues when given the opportunity, and elect the people that we feel will honestly represent their constituents best interests, not the BIG affiliates so to speak.

It's everywhere! Telling us what's good for us, what's bad for us, when to sleep, when to eat, next they'll be telling us when to wipe our rear end!

It used to be "wake up America", or "wake up U.K." etc., it has now gotten to be "Wake Up World"! :facepalm:

Jay2

Nov 24, 2014
England
As I live in England I've heard this mentioned a few times in the local press.

Yep. Also just consider if every life-threatening incident involving tobacco and lighters were front page news? And every similar incident involving misuse of electrical goods? The e-cig incidents would completely fade into obscurity.

There couldn't be a clearer bias in the press. And why? Oh, the usual reason, no doubt. The press is big-business, and heavily dependant on advertising from other big businesses. So now we have to ask ourselves: why doesn't Big Business like e-cigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread