Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
EDIT: I now see that this news was already posted and there have been no comments as yet. I guess it's sorta like a tree falling in the forest: If it happens in Kansas nobody notices or cares. I feel deflated, discouraged, demoralized and distraught. We're seriously outgunned and outnumbered. The ANTZ and their useful idiots are winning. vaping and vapers are to be treated just like smoking and smokers.

The precautionary principle runs amok, once again. But why did they fail to consider the risks of second-hand exposure to elephants? After all, that hasn't been fully researched.
Overland Park, KS, is a suburb of Kansas City, with a population approaching 200,000. It's rather conservative. I live in KC and had no idea this had been proposed. CASAA: no alert, eh? I wonder if anyone even spoke out against this.
Seriously: hotel rooms?? How can they enforce that? I have no particular need to patronize bars and restaurants in Overland Park so they've lost my business. I fear that KC, MO may be next.

"Electronic cigarettes have been added to Overland Park’s smoking ban.
At its meeting Monday evening, the city council voted to amend its smoking ordinance to include the personal vaporizers. The ordinance, which was originally passed nearly a decade ago, prohibits indoor smoking in places such as bars, restaurants and hotel rooms.
Not all council members were keen on the change, however.
Councilman Paul Lyons was the only one who voted against the amendment. He said changing the ordinance seemed premature since the health risks associated with second-hand exposure to e-cigarettes are currently unknown.
elephant.JPG
An elephant was featured in a Hindu ceremony in Florida last year. The Overland Park city council approved a permit for an elephant to be featured in a wedding at the Overland Park Marriott next month. | Bruce Lipsky/AP

“This impacts an individual’s rights and we shouldn’t take away that right until we have evidence that this is a public health issue that affects everyone around them,” he said.
Councilmen Terry Goodman and Richard Collins disagreed.
“While research is not one hundred percent conclusive, it does raise some doubts in my mind, so I think we should err on the side of caution,” Collins said, referring to the risks of second-hand exposure.
Goodman told the council he thought it was better to be safe than sorry until more research was conducted.
“If five years from now, they find these devices are totally harmless, we can deregulate them,” he said.
He also pointed out that several cities, as well as countries, already have included e-cigarettes in their smoking bans."

Overland Park adds e-cigs to smoking ban, approves elephant for wedding | The Kansas City Star

Read more here: Overland Park adds e-cigs to smoking ban, approves elephant for wedding | The Kansas City Star

Last edited:

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
The precautionary principle: never try anything for the first time. :facepalm:

That's, however, not what's at play here, or with any other vaping bans. They may phrase it as "err on the side of caution" but truly all the evidence indicates that "the side of caution" actually is on the side of vaping. Vaping bans are enacted purely out of malicious ignorance and corrupt stupidity on the part of local officials, instigated by the greed of ANTZ.

I am pleasantly surprised that there was at least one voice of dissent on this council. These things tended to pass unanimously elsewhere.

Lisa Belle

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
Sylvania, OH
www.lisabelle-artist.com
“This impacts an individual’s rights and we shouldn’t take away that right until we have evidence that this is a public health issue that affects everyone around them,” he said.
Councilmen Terry Goodman and Richard Collins disagreed.
“While research is not one hundred percent conclusive, it does raise some doubts in my mind, so I think we should err on the side of caution,” Collins said, referring to the risks of second-hand exposure.
Goodman told the council he thought it was better to be safe than sorry until more research was conducted.
“If five years from now, they find these devices are totally harmless, we can deregulate them,” he said.
He also pointed out that several cities, as well as countries, already have included e-cigarettes in their smoking bans."

Well in 5 years, he doesn't go on to say... the truth, that after so many older smokers have choked themselves off to BUFFALO We can always De-regulate ...... We should all VOTE ... with much hope that they the all powerful ones... "we" being spoken of.... in such a coc-sure air of confidence with such a constant tone, that they will be long voted out, their very own reputations earned as idiots weilding unhealthy swords of stupidity, ignorance and just plain corruption, they should NOT EVER AGAIN have any say, at all, one way or a tuther on any... upcoming future... defacto unbans or regulations that pertain to anything where the health of the public is detrimentally concerned!:vapor:

VOTE THEM OUT!

Last edited:

Lisa Belle

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
Sylvania, OH
www.lisabelle-artist.com
Strike while the RANT IS HOT! CASAA.ORG .... in case you aren't aware IS MADE UP OF YOU's AND MEs and is not or is unable to respond or organize each and every town council's proposal bans on E-Cigarette, i.e., taxations, outdoor indoor usage regulations etc., that is impossible, WE ARE CASAA, there are hundreds of thousands of municipalities all across the USA, being bribed by evil corrupt pharma backed MSA dollars fed to, politiicans with regamortis greed in their hands on smoker's tax monies that smoking generates.... WE ARE CASAA.... means we all are CASAA, get it? All members of CASAA, are individuals donating time, energy and resources non-gratta, with busy hectic lives and many responsibilities to juggle, just like everyone elses, the fact that any bans are at all addressed or responded to falls back on the community of vapers, and vendors that care enough to take an active participatory role in showing up, face to face at council meetings, doing the research to find arguments that support vaping, presenting them in a respectful and timely manner, being consistant and not giving up in deafeatism, and the last one is the hardest one to master, in the face of such money, power scrutiny as never before seen, bazaar.. when it is afterall just people who are doing something better for themselves by vaping, who actually improve their own and their loves ones lives by switching to a less harmful alternative, it is unbelievable the amount of hatred, lies and bans being introduced so virulentlessly. Sorry, about this outcome. Hope you do stay politically active and do as I screamed above VOTE THEM OUT!

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Here's a list of the cities and towns comprising the Kansas City metro. I only have contacts in a few of them.

In order to be effective, we need a way to find out what's going on behind the scenes in advance of when these ordinances are formally proposed. Somebody needs to get to the politicians well before there's a public hearing. Public hearings are usually just for show. The votes are already lined up.

Anchor city[edit]
Kansas City, Missouri (Major airport: Kansas City International Airport) Pop: 464,310 (2012)
100,000 or more inhabitants[edit]
Overland Park, Kansas Pop: 178,919
Kansas City, Kansas Pop: 147,268
Olathe, Kansas Pop: 130,045
Independence, Missouri Pop: 117,270
50,000 to 100,000 inhabitants[edit]
Lee's Summit, Missouri Pop: 92,468
Shawnee, Kansas Pop: 63,622
Blue Springs, Missouri Pop: 53,014
10,000 to 50,000 inhabitants[edit]
Lenexa, Kansas Pop: 49,398
Leavenworth, Kansas Pop: 35,816
Leawood, Kansas Pop: 32,539
Liberty, Missouri Pop: 29,811
Raytown, Missouri Pop: 29,513
Gladstone, Missouri Pop: 25,931
Grandview, Missouri Pop: 24,601
Belton, Missouri Pop: 23,244
Prairie Village, Kansas Pop: 21,769
Gardner, Kansas Pop: 20,318
Raymore, Missouri Pop: 19,550
Grain Valley, Missouri Pop: 13,030
Ottawa, Kansas Pop: 12,575
Lansing, Kansas Pop: 11,591
Excelsior Springs, Missouri Pop: 11,288
Merriam, Kansas Pop: 11,174
Harrisonville, Missouri Pop: 10,008

1,000 to 10,000 inhabitants[edit]
Mission, Kansas Pop: 9,467
Kearney, Missouri Pop: 8,846
Smithville, Missouri Pop: 8,768
Pleasant Hill, Missouri Pop: 8,179
Oak Grove, Missouri Pop: 7,852
Bonner Springs, Kansas Pop: 7,419
Roeland Park, Kansas Pop: 6,816
De Soto, Kansas Pop: 6,412
Parkville, Missouri Pop: 5,777
Richmond, Missouri Pop: 5,681
Spring Hill, Kansas Pop: 5,612
Paola, Kansas Pop: 5,550
Greenwood, Missouri Pop: 5,306
Odessa, Missouri Pop: 5,242
Tonganoxie, Kansas Pop: 5,108
Peculiar, Missouri Pop: 4,794
Basehor, Kansas Pop: 4,787
Platte City, Missouri Pop: 4,783
Higginsville, Missouri Pop: 4,748
Lexington, Missouri Pop: 4,667
Osawatomie, Kansas Pop: 4,388
Edwardsville, Kansas Pop: 4,377
North Kansas City, Missouri Pop: 4,287
Louisburg, Kansas Pop: 4,282
Fairway, Kansas Pop: 3,939
Mission Hills, Kansas Pop: 3,564
Sugar Creek, Missouri Pop: 3,341
Buckner, Missouri Pop: 3,072
Pleasant Valley, Missouri Pop: 3,015
Riverside, Missouri Pop: 3,011
Lawson, Missouri Pop: 2,431
Plattsburg, Missouri Pop: 2,290
Lake Lotawana, Missouri Pop: 1,953
Wellsville, Kansas Pop: 1,845
Weatherby Lake, Missouri Pop: 1,775
Edgerton, Kansas Pop: 1,699
Garden City, Missouri Pop: 1,639
Westwood, Kansas Pop: 1,521
Claycomo, Missouri Pop: 1,455
Lone Jack, Missouri Pop: 1,065
fewer than 1,000 inhabitants[edit]
Lake Waukomis, Missouri Pop: 891
Pomona, Kansas Pop: 822
Orrick, Missouri Pop: 821
Wellington, Missouri Pop: 801
Hardin, Missouri Pop: 660
Glenaire, Missouri Pop: 558
Richmond, Kansas Pop: 463
Avondale, Missouri Pop: 447
Williamsburg, Kansas Pop: 395
Platte Woods, Missouri Pop: 394
Oakview, Missouri Pop: 384
Linwood, Kansas Pop: 381
Westwood Hills, Kansas Pop: 362
Sibley, Missouri Pop: 359
Clearview City, Kansas Pop: 337
Northmoor, Missouri Pop: 328
Princeton, Kansas Pop: 276
Missouri City, Missouri Pop: 274
Houston Lake, Missouri Pop: 241
Lane, Kansas Pop: 225
Napoleon, Missouri Pop: 220
Oakwood Park, Missouri Pop: 193
Oakwood, Missouri Pop: 192
Birmingham, Missouri Pop: 187
Rantoul, Kansas Pop: 184
Mission Woods, Kansas Pop: 181
Oaks, Missouri Pop: 132
Levasy, Missouri Pop: 83
Unity Village, Missouri Pop: 77
Randolph, Missouri Pop: 53
River Bend, Missouri Pop: 10

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
I have sent the following e-mail:

Dear Councilman Goodman:

I see that you've voted to ban the public use of electronic cigarettes pending further testing. So, as a former cigarette smoker and current e-cigarette user, I am looking forward the return of the good old days when I was ostracized to remote and uncomfortable smoking areas, forced to huddle outdoors in the freezing rain and stifling heat, inhaling second hand smoke, and generally treated like a leper and a public menace. Indeed, everyone said to just quit smoking and I would be welcome back in polite society. But I guess that's not good enough and nothing has changed.

The vapor exhaled by e-cigarette vapors has been extensively tested. Here is a link to about 15 studies, none of which found that there is anything to fear from second-hand vapor: Lab Reports: ecigarettes

Which ones did you read before voting on this measure?

In any case, I would like to draw you attention to a truly major threat to public health: hot showers. When you take a hot shower you inhale water vapor containing the following harmful substances, all of which have been detected in measurable quantities in the KC metropolitan water supply:

cyanide
nitrates
atrazine
antimony
barium
chromium
selenium
coliform bacteria
trihalomethanes
chloramine
haloacetic acids
ammonia
magnesium

I trust this serious matter will receive the same level of urgent attention which you afforded to the threat posed by electronic cigarette emissions.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I was alerted to this ban by my daughter, I went around posting on several local articles in the comments section yesterday. Came back today to find NONE of my posts. I'm beyond frustrated by this, it appears they don't want the research linked for people to know about.

That's interesting. It speaks to larger forces at work than just the local legislators, don't you think? Hmmm...

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Strike while the RANT IS HOT! CASAA.ORG .... in case you aren't aware IS MADE UP OF YOU's AND MEs and is not or is unable to respond or organize each and every town council's proposal bans on E-Cigarette, i.e., taxations, outdoor indoor usage regulations etc., that is impossible, WE ARE CASAA, there are hundreds of thousands of municipalities all across the USA, being bribed by evil corrupt pharma backed MSA dollars fed to, politiicans with regamortis greed in their hands on smoker's tax monies that smoking generates.... WE ARE CASAA.... means we all are CASAA, get it? All members of CASAA, are individuals donating time, energy and resources non-gratta, with busy hectic lives and many responsibilities to juggle, just like everyone elses, the fact that any bans are at all addressed or responded to falls back on the community of vapers, and vendors that care enough to take an active participatory role in showing up, face to face at council meetings, doing the research to find arguments that support vaping, presenting them in a respectful and timely manner, being consistant and not giving up in deafeatism, and the last one is the hardest one to master, in the face of such money, power scrutiny as never before seen, bazaar.. when it is afterall just people who are doing something better for themselves by vaping, who actually improve their own and their loves ones lives by switching to a less harmful alternative, it is unbelievable the amount of hatred, lies and bans being introduced so virulentlessly. Sorry, about this outcome. Hope you do stay politically active and do as I screamed above VOTE THEM OUT!
Really good post there Lisa.

I'd put a smiley face here, but I just can't.
It's nothing to smile about.
:(

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I have sent the following e-mail:

Dear Councilman Goodman:

I see that you've voted to ban the public use of electronic cigarettes pending further testing. So, as a former cigarette smoker and current e-cigarette user, I am looking forward the return of the good old days when I was ostracized to remote and uncomfortable smoking areas, forced to huddle outdoors in the freezing rain and stifling heat, inhaling second hand smoke, and generally treated like a leper and a public menace. Indeed, everyone said to just quit smoking and I would be welcome back in polite society. But I guess that's not good enough and nothing has changed.

The vapor exhaled by e-cigarette vapors has been extensively tested. Here is a link to about 15 studies, none of which found that there is anything to fear from second-hand vapor: Lab Reports: ecigarettes

Which ones did you read before voting on this measure?

In any case, I would like to draw you attention to a truly major threat to public health: hot showers. When you take a hot shower you inhale water vapor containing the following harmful substances, all of which have been detected in measurable quantities in the KC metropolitan water supply:

cyanide
nitrates
atrazine
antimony
barium
chromium
selenium
coliform bacteria
trihalomethanes
chloramine
haloacetic acids
ammonia
magnesium

I trust this serious matter will receive the same level of urgent attention which you afforded to the threat posed by electronic cigarette emissions.
Awesome!! You rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread