Status
Not open for further replies.

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
What would you suggest? My coworker didnt like it at first because she thought it was gross. Then she looked it up online (those bad sites probably) and heard the misinformed thing that it contains a bunch of chemicals ...which is not true.

Then she started going on about how vaping indoors should be illegal.... blah blah blah.
Geez the misinformation is terrible...
So point me to a good study....
And then shell probably get all antsy about the nicotine in the vape. Ah its tough.
All my other coworkers dont care.

Despraci

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2014
Palmyra, PA
This is one of those discussions I avoid, but my choice is that I don't impose my habit on others. I only vape indoors at my house (I work from home), fellow vaper's homes, and friend's homes that given me permission. And it's a choice of being polite and courtesy more then possible second hand vape. I feel grateful that I can vape at some of my client locations, outside of course, where smoking was prohibited anywhere on their grounds when I smoked.

cjvdh

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2014
PA
This is one of those discussions I avoid, but my choice is that I don't impose my habit on others. I only vape indoors at my house (I work from home), fellow vaper's homes, and friend's homes that given me permission. And it's a choice of being polite and courtesy more then possible second hand vape. I feel grateful that I can vape at some of my client locations, outside of course, where smoking was prohibited anywhere on their grounds when I smoked.

I agree with this as well.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
This is all you need to communicate to your concerned coworker:
http://publichealth.drexel.edu/~/media/Files/publichealth/ms08.ashx

In layman's terms, you're forced to live within the same atmosphere as other people, and thus breathe in the same air they breathe out. Since vapor is no more dangerous than exhaled breath (and may in fact be beneficial) there is absolutely no objective reason to prohibit vaping anywhere. Last time I checked we can't use looks to deny service or employment to people, so the fact the vapor "looks" like smoke cannot serve as a basis for that prohibition either.

sedition

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2014
New Zealand
Then she started going on about how vaping indoors should be illegal.... blah blah blah.

Easiest way to counter this is to get a .......-off big stainless steel setup - Kayfun or Russian will work - 26650 mod with 2-3 stacked batteries if possible..

Then throw it at her.

rurwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Leicester, UK

mac63

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2014
She sounds like someone who isn't happy unless they are complaining or fighting against something. They don't care what it is as long as it's something they don't do - their belief is that everyone else should live the same way they do.

Tell that her whining is causing damage to your hearing and she'll have to keep quiet from now on.

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
So these mean... there are some harmful chemicals in second hand vaping... just not many.?
Easiest way to counter this is to get a .......-off big stainless steel setup - Kayfun or Russian will work - 26650 mod with 2-3 stacked batteries if possible..

Then throw it at her.
I loled ....

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
She sounds like someone who isn't happy unless they are complaining or fighting against something. They don't care what it is as long as it's something they don't do - their belief is that everyone else should live the same way they do.

Tell that her whining is causing damage to your hearing and she'll have to keep quiet from now on.

Yup, I so totally agree with this! With people like this, if they can smell your vapor at all, even if it smells really nice, it's an invasion of their space and an imposition upon them they can attack, and they will flat-out make stuff up to do that. For some of them even seeing you vape from a distance is something they will attack. I've run into that!

I've long believed that if someone invented glasses that let you see other people's breath the lawsuits and attacks would multiply exponentially out of control.

I think it's people like these who generate much of the misinformation out there about vaping.

Last edited:

rurwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Leicester, UK
So these mean... there are some harmful chemicals in second hand vaping... just not many.?
Just a literally insignificant amount. For example, there are the same sorts of levels of contaminants in nicotine patches, and then you dilute it a thousand or more times in room air. Also at least one of those studies did not consider the filtering effect of the vaper's lungs; the study used smoking machines. There is no sidestream vapour from an e-cig, so all second-hand vapour has been inhaled and exhaled. That takes most of the nicotine, and who knows what else, out of it.

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
It actually generally makes me angry. It's just 6 years ago I could light up in a bar. Here smoking indoors in some places is okay. So this stuff gets me angry. I personally think vaping should be done anywhere freely. I've also had the same coworker fake cough when I vaped near her outdoors.... get a life.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I've also had the same coworker fake cough when I vaped near her outdoors.... get a life.

Oh yes! I've had people do the fake coughing act around me too, and in places where vaping was allowed. One day I was in my car in a parking lot with my windows down, and a woman pulled into the space next to me, looked over at me vaping, then opened her door, and started up with the fake coughing and dirty looks routine. I ignored her and vaped on.....

Oh, and she was upwind of me. Go figure.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
any one taking any kind of medication has that medication on their breath.
you just cant see it.
the OP's right for every counter he comes up with his co-worker will come up with a more outrageous counter.
this will all end by these two words."the children"
one can't have all those children under foot at work trying to get your vape gear creating a dangerous work
place environment.
:D
mike

PixieSkull

Aug 4, 2014
North Dakota, USA
I'm all for keeping your smells to yourself, whether it's perfume, food, cigarettes, or vapor. Some people are sensitive to scents (myself included) and have a knee-jerk reaction (not me) to any perceived threat. Now, there are some natural extracts that are allergenic to some, but it's extremely rare through vapor. If my cubemate was burning incense or melting wax tarts, I'd freak out because I have a legit allergy to most synthetic scents. Same as if they were eating strong hamburger hotdish since the smell of cooked ground beef makes me gag.

Now, I'm all for vaping in public, but in the case of any thrown scent, I think it's a politeness factor. I'd just start vaping less-flavored or unflavored juice to get my nic fix, because I'd expect others to adjust to my own scent issues. If I ever hear someone fake coughing in my direction, I'll do my best to make them look stupid. "It's just melon-scented vapor" *showing my e-cig mod then inhale and blow another vapor cloud.

I remember my last job I would go outside with the smokers and some would complain about the smell! So I finally just started to sit in my car. I rather anyway instead of standing in all those flying ashes and smoke.

Uh, HWHAT? So, you didn't stink like dirty gutters so they got mad at you? That would piss me off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread