Status
Not open for further replies.

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
I dunno, seems to me the shop didn't do the right thing. We all started somewhere but most of us started with either cigalikes or egos. Of course many of us graduated to better mods, either regulated or mechanical, but that was after figuring out what we liked about vaping and what we wanted our progression to be. So to me, starting someone out with a mech and dripper seems a bit advanced for a newbie. Heck, it's a bit advanced for someone like me and I've been vaping for a long time. But I'm not that guy and maybe he's starting where some of us wound up and it will be a good experience for him.

Last edited:

joesquid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Chesapeake, Va
Sounds like this started out as a - this Idiot Shop - Story but the OP changed his mind based on comments about the Users purchase.

Am I even in the same ballpark? :blink:

Nope...you ain't in the ballpark....I have a problem with starting someone out with a mech. Maybe y'all don't agree but I think it is totally irresponsible.

Um, in my honest opinion, I wouldn't have recommended a newbie to a mech mod and RDA. But then again, it's a free country and it's buyer beware. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I feel like you should do a little research and know what you're getting into rather than trusting some random person trying to sell you something. Yeah, got trust issues issues among other issues...

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
I think it all depends on
1) the customer
2) Instruction and support given

I mean... what exactly is the step between a protank setup and an RDA?
A variable w/v mod IF you are going to sell a new user a RDA/RTA. Still not a good idea for a new user.:2c:

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Turns out the person in question had the vape shop make his coil setup. They made two 0.58 ohm coils which turns out to be less than 0.3 ohms overall. He's using a battery with a 20 amp continuous discharge rating, which is in the grey area of margin of safety. I warned the guy that just a loose post screw or a ohm reader being off +/- 0.15 ohms could be significant. Did what I could.

Definitely not the setup I'd recommend to a novice vaper as their very first ecig.

Last edited:

Blackboar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Upper Marlboro, MD
It definitely depends on the customer. If the customer is knowledgeable about ohm's law, battery safety, and rebuilding coils; then why not? If a shop sells to the needs of the customer, then it's doing the right thing. In fact, I think it is irresponsible for a someone to have a one product fits all attitude and points all newbies to Evods and Ego batteries.

Now the other end of the spectrum, where someone steers someone who is not knowledgeable and ready for mech mods and rebuildables, that is also wrong.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I didn't even see the post where he said what he got or was running. I just congratulated him on trying to quit.

I think most vapers on here do speak up if they see something that has the potential to be dangerous. I've seen multiple threads where several members have tried to steer someone in the right direction.

Still, I missed this. If I'd have noticed what he bought I would have said something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread