Newbie question about Nicotine levels? And how do you smoke these things anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

balance

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Yesterday; I visited a local bricks and mortar shop and purchased a starter kit. It's an eGo-T 650 with a CE4 atomizer (I think? Could that be right?)

Anyway, the speedy gal at the counter asked me what I usually smoked, which is Marlboro Light 100s. She gave me a taste of MLB 12, then asked how much I smoked. I'm pretty much a PAD to 1.5 PAD, and told her so. She said I should get the MLB 18, so of course, I went with it.

OMG!!! I cannot stand the taste of this stuff! One hit and my heart races!

I'm thinking I need a lower level of nicotine? I''m used to that 5-10 minute cigarette break thing, and maybe it's just supposed to be one hit and done?

Any advice greatly appreciated! I would love, love, love to be able to "smoke" in my house, but I can't take this taste and hit. (Cough, cough)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Yesterday; I visited a local bricks and mortar shop and purchased a starter kit. It's an eGo-T 650 with a CE4 atomizer (I think? Could that be right?)

Anyway, the speedy gal at the counter asked me what I usually smoked, which is Marlboro Light 100s. She gave me a taste of MLB 12, then asked how much I smoked. I'm pretty much a PAD to 1.5 PAD, and told her so. She said I should get the MLB 18, so of course, I went with it.

OMG!!! I cannot stand the taste of this stuff! One hit and my heart races!

I'm thinking I need a lower level of nicotine? I''m used to that 5-10 minute cigarette break thing, and maybe it's just supposed to be one hit and done?

Any advice greatly appreciated! I would love, love, love to be able to "smoke" in my house, but I can't take this taste and hit. (Cough, cough)

Yeah, the idjits always tell pk a day smokers to start at 18mg, and that's way too much for some of us -- even 12mg was too strong for me, but then I smoked ultra-lights for 20+ yrs before vaping. I'd say 12mg is probably just what you need.

As for how to smoke them... you don't, you vape them. :D Seriously, most of us were in that serial-smoker category, since most people don't want that stink in their house anymore, but with vaping, it does tend to be an "all the time" kind of thing, ESPECIALLY when you're first quitting the cigarettes -- chain vaping is not at all uncommon. If you think you're going to be puffing pretty much constantly while the quitting is still a new thing -- first three months or so -- then 12mg might even be too high, as it was for me -- you did say "lights" so it's entirely possible that 12mg might be too much if you're really vaping constantly. But only way to know for sure is to try it.

That "smoking" indoors thing was what got me interested, back in January when I first got here, and even in February when I first started vaping; after trying and failing to quit many times, I had no expectation that e-cigs could do more than just let me cut down on smoking, especially on cold nights when hanging out on the porch was really not very pleasant. But it really does make such a good substitute, quitting is entirely possible. But, when you first start, no, vaping really doesn't taste very good to a palate that's accustomed to cigarette smoke; for those with a real insistence on taste, it can take a while to get accustomed, gradually easing the smoking as you vape more and more -- that slow kind of easing smoking out as you ease vaping in, is the way I did it, and the more you vape, the worse the cigarettes will taste, until putting them down really isn't a big thing at all.

Welcome to ECF, and a whole new world! :thumb:
Andria

AtherisDubs

Jul 10, 2014
United States
It all depends on your personal tolerance to nicotine what level you will need. I was never a heavy smoker, and I started with 6mg. If your heart is racing from one hit, your nicotine strength is probably too high. I know a lot of people who just switched from smoking prefer a taste similar to tobacco, but there is a wide range of different flavors that exist for e-liquids. Most stores have a samples for all of their flavors, it sounds like the place you went to did. I would suggest trying non-tobacco flavors too.

keonee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
USA
Welcome balance to ECF. I would try 9 or 12 Nic. There are some really great flavors out there other then tobacco. If you decide to buy from an online vendor start with samples. This will help you save some $.

Also you might want to try different PG/VG ratios.....remember the more PG the greater the throat hit....the greater VG more cloud vapor

Good Luck to You...Happy Vaping!!!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The speedy gal at the counter recommended what is typically suggested for a 1 1/2 pack per day smoker. It could be that you will need to drop down a level to 12 mg nicotine in the e-liquid. Not everyone is Mr. Average.

• Most of the nicotine in vapor is absorbed in the mouth & throat, so you actually don't have to inhale the vapor into your lungs to absorb the nicotine. However, nearly all of us want to replicate that "cigarette experience". Try adjusting your inhale technique to a vaping technique:

• Imagine sucking on a straw in a milkshake. Use your cheek muscles. Draw into your mouth slow and gently. Hold it there for a second. This allows for the vapor to cool before inhaling into your lungs, and also allows for maximum absorbtion of the nicotine.

• Inhale a small amount into your lungs. Baby steps -- gradually inhale more into your lungs as time passes on. You likely coughed when you first inhaled your first cigarettes, and your body adapted. You'll adapt to vapor, too.

• Exhale through both your mouth and nose. Your sense of smell assists your sense of taste, and you'll enjoy your vape flavors more with this technique.

• Drink plenty of water. E-liquids and the vapor dehydrates our mucus membranes. You don't want to get dry mouth from vaping.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Reduce your draw intensity.
Remember this is not a Cigarette and you are not smoking it.
Vapor is Denser than cigarette smoke and very moist in comparison. It will hit your throat and longs much differently.

Things to know:
Coil takes a second or so to heat up. No need to instantly start your draw.
Release the switch before ending your draw. Helps to cool coil and reduces moisture(condensation) in the air tube.
You Can purchase a 6mg version of your liquid and reduce mix.
half and half - 18+6=24/2=12mg
You can work other combinations to run higher or lower Nic mg.

Ce4 Tanks are Disposable. As they fail, replace with ce5, which can be cleaned and heads replaced. Read a lot before running out to buy the next greatest thing. Don't just assume you need something. Find out if it is what you need and save in the long run.

Last edited:

balance

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, the idjits always tell pk a day smokers to start at 18mg, and that's way too much for some of us -- even 12mg was too strong for me, but then I smoked ultra-lights for 20+ yrs before vaping. I'd say 12mg is probably just what you need.

As for how to smoke them... you don't, you vape them. :D Seriously, most of us were in that serial-smoker category, since most people don't want that stink in their house anymore, but with vaping, it does tend to be an "all the time" kind of thing, ESPECIALLY when you're first quitting the cigarettes -- chain vaping is not at all uncommon. If you think you're going to be puffing pretty much constantly while the quitting is still a new thing -- first three months or so -- then 12mg might even be too high, as it was for me -- you did say "lights" so it's entirely possible that 12mg might be too much if you're really vaping constantly. But only way to know for sure is to try it.

Andria

Thank you for the great advice, Andria! And thank you for mentioning chain vaping, I think you're right that even 12 might be too much since there are times of the day where I'm used to having a cigarette in my hand for hours (like when I'm working from home.) And thank you for the kind welcome to ECF -- you're the first person to reply to me, and I really appreciate it!

balance

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
The speedy gal at the counter recommended what is typically suggested for a 1 1/2 pack per day smoker. It could be that you will need to drop down a level to 12 mg nicotine in the e-liquid. Not everyone is Mr. Average.

• Most of the nicotine in vapor is absorbed in the mouth & throat, so you actually don't have to inhale the vapor into your lungs to absorb the nicotine. However, nearly all of us want to replicate that "cigarette experience". Try adjusting your inhale technique to a vaping technique:

• Imagine sucking on a straw in a milkshake. Use your cheek muscles. Draw into your mouth slow and gently. Hold it there for a second. This allows for the vapor to cool before inhaling into your lungs, and also allows for maximum absorbtion of the nicotine.

• Inhale a small amount into your lungs. Baby steps -- gradually inhale more into your lungs as time passes on. You likely coughed when you first inhaled your first cigarettes, and your body adapted. You'll adapt to vapor, too.

• Exhale through both your mouth and nose. Your sense of smell assists your sense of taste, and you'll enjoy your vape flavors more with this technique.

• Drink plenty of water. E-liquids and the vapor dehydrates our mucus membranes. You don't want to get dry mouth from vaping.

Thank you for all this information! I wish the gal at the store had been as informative. While I was at the store, not one word about how different the experience of vaping might be from smoking. Of course, there was someone else waiting, so maybe that explains the speediness.

Anyway, this is a great forum! I'm really impressed that so many experienced folks still take time to help the newbies. Thank you.

balance

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Reduce your draw intensity.
Remember this is not a Cigarette and you are not smoking it.
Vapor is Denser than cigarette smoke and very moist in comparison. It will hit your throat and longs much differently.

Things to know:
Coil takes a second or so to heat up. No need to instantly start your draw.
Release the switch before ending your draw. Helps to cool coil and reduces moisture(condensation) in the air tube.
You Can purchase a 6mg version of your liquid and reduce mix.
half and half - 18+6=24/2=12mg
You can work other combinations to run higher or lower Nic mg.

Ce4 Tanks are Disposable. As they fail, replace with ce5, which can be cleaned and heads replaced. Read a lot before running out to buy the next greatest thing. Don't just assume you need something. Find out if it is what you need and save in the long run.

Thank you for this advice. I went back today and picked up a 6mg of vanilla and a 12 of ry4 which I tried at the store. I mixed mostly the 6mg with maybe 1/4 of the 12mg, since I was a tad concerned about that racing heartbeat thing. Also they upgraded me to an iClear 16 VW/VV (?) which the guy said would only require new coils (?) every couple of weeks. I must say the draw was much better, and since they were kind enough to throw it in the bag, I'm a much happier camper.

I'll admit I went to an actual store because I hoped that some of this jargon would be explained, and my experience yesterday was not overly helpful. The amount of reading available is a tad intimidating, and quickly moves into a bunch of initials that I don't always understand which is why is so awesomely nice that you all take time from your day to help a new vaper out. Really, really appreciate the forum, the new members section, and all of the real-life advice you guys have posted.

Thank you.

balance

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Welcome balance to ECF. I would try 9 or 12 Nic. There are some really great flavors out there other then tobacco. If you decide to buy from an online vendor start with samples. This will help you save some $.

Also you might want to try different PG/VG ratios.....remember the more PG the greater the throat hit....the greater VG more cloud vapor

Good Luck to You...Happy Vaping!!!

Thank you for the kind welcome. I've got a question about the PG/VG ratio. My store doesn't post this information, and the labels on my juice list PG first, then VG. Is there a standard ratio between the two? Also, are there any online stores you can recommend?

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Thank you for the great advice, Andria! And thank you for mentioning chain vaping, I think you're right that even 12 might be too much since there are times of the day where I'm used to having a cigarette in my hand for hours (like when I'm working from home.) And thank you for the kind welcome to ECF -- you're the first person to reply to me, and I really appreciate it!

Yeah there were so many talkative people around here today, your post got pushed to the 2nd page of Today's Posts pretty quick! If I hadn't been bored and gone to the 2nd page, I might have missed it entirely! :D But a lot of us do try to help new folks, if we can; we were all newbies once. :blush:

I actually quit cigarettes using a cigalike, an eRoll, at 6mg, because I was gradually whittling down the number I smoked each day, PLUS vaping. But once the cigarettes were gone, I had to go back up a bit; first to 8mg, then 9mg, and now I'm at 10mg for daytime, and drop to maybe 7-ish mg at night, or I get that pounding-heart thing when I'm trying to go to sleep. I was doing ok at 9mg, but vaping a lot, and I've had such problems with dehydration from vaping that I thought it would be better to go up a bit more so that I can put the thing down now and then. :D It seems to be working pretty well, and my hydration is back to pretty well balanced, thanks to coconut water along with all the regular water. Dehydration really can become a serious problem in a very short time -- I had "cankles" before I had been vaping for 3 months, thanks to my electrolytes being all out of whack from the dehydration, but the coconut water finally got rid of them.

Anything at all you need to know about vaping, just ask, and I'm sure somebody -- if not a whole gang of somebodies! ;) -- will be able to give you some kind of answer -- no guarantees that it's the RIGHT answer of course, some of this stuff seems to have a LOT of possible answers! :blink:

Andria

balance

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA

Thanks much to all who sent links. This one on inhalation technique was especially helpful. Despite my initial thoughts that I would like lots of TH and lots of nicotine, I'm actually much happier now without inhaling as deeply and using a mostly 6mg level. Not sure what the PG/VG levels are, but it seems to be working ok for me. No racing heart, only 6 cigs today -- and when it was too busy at work to take a stroll to the smoking area outside, I vaped a couple of hits in my office. Got me through a rough afternoon.

Readlly, really appreciated this!

SunshinePete

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire, England

That "smoking" indoors thing was what got me interested, back in January when I first got here, and even in February when I first started vaping; after trying and failing to quit many times, I had no expectation that e-cigs could do more than just let me cut down on smoking, especially on cold nights when hanging out on the porch was really not very pleasant. But it really does make such a good substitute, quitting is entirely possible. But, when you first start, no, vaping really doesn't taste very good to a palate that's accustomed to cigarette smoke; for those with a real insistence on taste, it can take a while to get accustomed, gradually easing the smoking as you vape more and more -- that slow kind of easing smoking out as you ease vaping in, is the way I did it, and the more you vape, the worse the cigarettes will taste, until putting them down really isn't a big thing at all.

Welcome to ECF, and a whole new world! :thumb:
Andria

Andria, that's some of the best advice to a new vaper I've ever read, and not a word about hardware. It's about replacing a smoking habit, not having the latest gizmo, and you've not lost sight of that.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Andria, that's some of the best advice to a new vaper I've ever read, and not a word about hardware. It's about replacing a smoking habit, not having the latest gizmo, and you've not lost sight of that.

THIS ^^^ the latest gizmo is completely unnecessary. I use 2 year old tanks and coils, old top-coil technology, along with some really old stuff 4 year old tech from when I started vaping. Making what you have bought work properly is less expensive and more rewarding than the newest gizmo.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Well I love the latest gizmos as much as anyone, and now that I don't have that godawful expense of cigarettes, I can afford a little of the shinyitis. :D But it's always been about replacing smoking for me, and probably always will be -- I smoked for 39 yrs, 3/4ths of my entire life, so I know that kind of habituation isn't going away soon -- IF EVER! And that's what all these ANTZ idjits don't seem to get, with all their 'well why don't you just quit?' crapola -- why don't THEY just die and stop bothering those of us human enough to have foibles like addictions! ;)

Seriously though... over the time I've been vaping, I've gone from "it MUST taste EXACTLY like Virginia Slims" to actually enjoying some of the sweet flavors; but I still have my trusty "Virginia" in both my kayfuns, as my regular, go-to, ADV -- that is my actual substitute for smoking, and the resemblance, once you get used to the taste of vapor vs. cigarettes, is really incredible. I suppose that preference might change, the longer I'm a vaper and the farther I get from actually smoking those nasty things, but for now, and the indefinite future, I'm still a "Virginia girl." Even if I was born in GA! :D

Andria

dkettle

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2014
Fall River MA
I have been smoking non-filters almost all my life so I can not comment on your heart-racing as we bot have very different levels of nicotine tolerance BUT, one of the mistakes I made when I first started vaping was not letting the wicks soak between drags which almost made me cough my lungs out. I have the iClear30 and turning it upside down every once in a while helps a lot with that "hit".

There is no standard ratio between pg/vg. It is all preference. You can have 100% pg or 100% vg or anything in between. PG is an alcohol, and may contribute to dry mouth, VG is vegetable oil hence sweet, I found my happy place at 50-50% with plenty liquids and couple mouthwashes. You just have to find your happy place.

As far as hardware goes, there is plenty of suppliers on this forum where you can get very decent prices and good customer service. As far as juices go, try to find a B&M vape shop where they would let you try before you buy or offer sample bottles until you find that happy place because it sucks to wait 5-6 days for something to ship, and when you open it, you hate it.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
VG is vegetable oil hence sweet

It is NOT an oil; it is an alcohol as PG is. Chemically speaking, PG is a double-alcohol; VG is a triple-alcohol.

And no, if anyone is wondering, neither of them compromise sobriety in the way that ethyl alcohol does -- they do not lead to intoxication, insanity, blackouts, or any other of the troublesome aspects of alcoholism.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread