What do you say when some1 tells you that vaping doesn't help you quit smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

rzil

May 6, 2014
Israel
I just give them the face , and say "Well I'm not smoking for over 6 months because of it"

really-pl-ffffff-3.jpeg

zahzoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2013
AR, USA
www.myretrolounge.com
Depends on who's speaking to me... If it's a stranger offering unsolicited commentary I'll usually just smile and thank them for their input, move on and not waste my time engaging them.

If it's someone I know... I'll hand them my Personal Vaporizer (PV) and say "Check it out". Then point out the components. This is the battery... this is the atomizer... that liquid contains nicotine, PG/VG & flavoring. I only use glass clearomizers so the ejuice is quite visible.

I point out that there is no tobacco. Also no fire. I have them push the button a few seconds and give it a smell... I generally use a coffee flavor I DIY and it smells like starbucks.

At that point I ask them... how is any of this like smoking a cigarette?

The typical response once they've had the tactile experience of holding it in their hand and explained what the components are... most will admit it's nothing like a cigarette... But you are still addicted to nicotine and using it. I just respond yep... point out that nicotine does not cause cancer... breathing smoke from burning tobacco does. Then very confidently mention "That's my choice and I'm healthier and sticking to it."

If they press the matter I advise them that harassing ex-smokers is very dangerous to big mouthed busy-bodies... ;)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
+1 to zahzoo ! :thumbs:

About 3 weeks after my last cigarette thanks to vaping, I told my co-workers that I had successfully stopped smoking. Great, they said. How'd you do it? I said that I was now vaping. Electronic cigarettes.

I worked in a hospital with surgeons and nurses. They said its great that I was no longer smoking, but those ecigarettes still have nicotine in them, right? I said yes, that is my addiction. The ecigs give me my nicotine in a much healthier way. No tobacco, tar, or smoke which is what causes cancer and COPD. Its not harmful to others around me and it doesn't stink like tobacco smoke does.

The nicotine patches, gum, lozenges, prescription drugs, and hypnosis (twice) didn't help me quit before. Ecigs did. Not only does ecigs provide the nicotine, but it replicates the hand-to-mouth habit which is a vital behavioral component in smoking, as well as the inhalation/exhalation of a substance. That's why those traditional nicotine substitutes didn't help me quit.

"But nicotine is still harmful!"

Oh really? Show me the study that proves that nicotine is any more harmful than caffeine. They are very similar drugs chemically. Caffeine is in coffee, tea, soft drinks, chocolate, and hundreds of other foods that you likely are not even aware of that you consume on a daily basis. I'm consuming far less nicotine than that pot full of coffee or 2 liter of Mountain Dew that you drink from all day. In fact, recent studies are showing that nicotine may be helpful in delaying conditions such as Alzheimers and Parkinsons.

They either fell silent or changed the subject. Case closed.

That was over 2 1/2 years ago. I've not had a cigarette since. Never wanted one. I've weaned myself down from 18mg nicotine down to either 6 mg or zero. I still enjoy my vape and flavors, even if there is no or very little nicotine in it. I have vaping to thank for saving my life. I feel much better since I have quit smoking. I'm no longer spending over $150 a month on cigarettes, maybe $30 a month on occassional premade e-liquid and making my own DIY flavors. You can't put a price on good health.

I'm no longer holding that pistol full of cigarettes (see avatar) to my head and committing slow suicide.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I just tell them that it enabled ME to quit smoking, and STAY quit, whereas nothing else ever had.

If they give me the "you're still smoking" BS, I just ask them where the cigarette is; it's certainly not in my hand. What's in my hand is a VAPORizer, there is no smoke, also no tobacco or fire, ergo, I'm not smoking.

If they continue to argue after that, I just figure they're an idiot and walk away. If they're ugly or abusive in their arguments, I'll even TELL them they're an idiot, before I walk away.

Andria

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I have been studying all aspects of vaping for many years now.
And I am fully prepared for anything thrown at me.

If anyone made such a comment to me, they had better be prepared for a long and drawn out debate that I will surely win.

And if they still just don't get it, they will at the very least know they had best not say such a thing out loud where I can hear it.
Because when all else fails, I am not above berating such people for their ignorance in the same manner they are attempting to berate me for their false beliefs.

Unfortunately, I've never had the pleasure of such an encounter face-to-face.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
I simply tell them that I could NOT stop smoking by ....

1. Going Cold Turkey
2. Nicotine Patches
3. Snus
4. Nicotine Gum

But, I haven't had a cigarette now for more than 6 months after I started to vape nicotine juice

They can read it anyway they want to.

Oh, and when they ask me if vaping is safe ... I just tell them I had a chronic cough all the time when I smoked cigarettes. I would cough my lungs out every morning!

Now I hardly ever cough at all .... They can figure it out from there!

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
You Can't quit smoking unless you Want to. Really Want to.

So if a person Doesn't Want to quit smoking and then tries Vaping, they Probably are Not going to quit.

Also, a person's chances of Quitting goes up if they Start with a Decent Set-Up. And are Lucky to find an e-Liquid that they like Right Out of the Gate.

Picking up an el-Cheap-O Brand Disposable at the Gas Station might Turn Off a Smoker to Vaping.

XBarbarian

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2014
Largo, FL
in general.. Im learning to not really engage too much. As was mentioned above, when the statement is made to me, matter of factly, it infers a closed mind to begin with.

I generally just say to them, well, I'm much happier and feeling considerably more healthy since I put down the cigarettes and started vaping.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
You Can't quit smoking unless you Want to. Really Want to.

So if a person Doesn't Want to quit smoking and then tries Vaping, they Probably are Not going to quit.

Also -- and I know this may not be true for all of us, but it was for me -- even wanting to really badly won't be enough, if the person doesn't actually MAKE THE EFFORT. E-cigs aren't a magic wand that makes cigarettes mysteriously vanish, and there *is* effort required, for a lot of people. You can read all the personal stories you want of how once someone tried vaping, they never smoked again -- for most of us, that's not the case; and for a smaller sub-set, there was serious effort required.

And even after the quit... e-cigs just make it *easier* but they don't completely remove however many years' or decades' worth of habit that has accumulated. There may be cravings; there may be urges to go outside and *do something*... but if you really want to quit, and you really make the effort... then e-cigs DO make it MUCH easier to quit than anything else that's ever been invented.

Andria

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Also -- and I know this may not be true for all of us, but it was for me -- even wanting to really badly won't be enough, if the person doesn't actually MAKE THE EFFORT. E-cigs aren't a magic wand that makes cigarettes mysteriously vanish, and there *is* effort required, for a lot of people. You can read all the personal stories you want of how once someone tried vaping, they never smoked again -- for most of us, that's not the case; and for a smaller sub-set, there was serious effort required,
I'm sorry Andria, but I'm going to have to disagree...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/polls/276317-how-easy-switching-tobacco-alternative.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/polls/80124-how-long-did-take-you-stop-smoking.html

For most of us, it was actually fairly easy.
But in no way does that mean that this is true for everyone.

And it in no way diminishes the efforts of those who had to work a bit harder.
And does not in any way convey upon such people any lack of willpower or desire.

I think it's mostly a matter of how fast you find what works for you.
And even then there can be many other contributing factors beyond just "really wanting to quit".

It's just that I've seen a couple of posts lately saying how those that quit easily are in the minority, which does not appear to be the case.
Or even worse, that those that quit easily are lying or not telling the whole story.

I can't let that pass without commenting.
:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread