Possible Ban of e-cig in India.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronchinoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Bangalore / India
There seems to be a growing mood in the country to Ban E-cig.
These decisions are being taken by fat corrupt uneducated ministers. Dancing to the drum of BT.

Their view point is why allow e-cig. You want to stop smoking go see a doctor. And the doctor will prescribe a drug which will cure you.

The drug they are promoting is Bupron-XL from Sun, Bupropion Hydrochloride - Bupdep to Zyban | DrugsUpdate India

How do you combat this kind of logic. ?.

Newportlocal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2013
Orange County,Calif.
Wellbutrin was given to psych patients as an antidepressant. It was observed that the patients who smoked reduced their smoking from it. They started marketing it as Zyban. In the US the patent had expired originally on Wellbutrin which carried a seizure risk. Then they marketed SR and XL which were safer only after the original patent expired. Over time patents expire and drugs become less profitable with generic versions available. They probably look for new markets. Looks like they found one in India. Even more ironic the generic they are promoting was proven even less effective. FDA Pulls Generic Antidepressant for Ineffectiveness - Forbes Chantix is actually better as a stop smoking drug. The idea that people should see a doctor instead of using an ecig should be applied to tobacco if that is their stance. Agree it is fallacious reasoning.

ronchinoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Bangalore / India
The big news over here is there are no studies to prove that e-cig is safe. Or that e-cig helps people stop smoking.
Is there any one link on this site which has nothing but links to serious studies that prove they work to help people stop and that it is safe.
Would like to share that info with the rest of my country.
Have over 1000 friends on FB and over 45,000 members on my forum.

Im looking for hard data, and concise list of studies.
As well as any info against the use of other drugs to stop smoking.

Have searched but all the info seems to be split up all over the place. Will keep looking.

cocuZZa00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
New Jersey
There seems to be a growing mood in the country to Ban E-cig.
These decisions are being taken by fat corrupt uneducated ministers. Dancing to the drum of BT.

Their view point is why allow e-cig. You want to stop smoking go see a doctor. And the doctor will prescribe a drug which will cure you.

The drug they are promoting is Bupron-XL from Sun, Bupropion Hydrochloride - Bupdep to Zyban | DrugsUpdate India

How do you combat this kind of logic. ?.

Well you are not only addicted to the nicotine when it comes to smoking cigs. The biggest reason these meds don't work is because they don't cure the oral fixation. or the fact that every time you have a cup of coffee, get into your car, etc. you HAVE to smoke a cig with it or you feel something is missing... I dunno, just a thought.

ronchinoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Bangalore / India
Im going to compile a list of articles into one place. After Scrounging this forum and other forums online.
After we have a few hundred I plan to e-mail the Heath Ministry and the PM. Asking them to think twice before making any changes.
Funny thing is the existing rules from way back in 2008 are pretty forward thinking and support e-cig.

But stupid people keep doing stupid .... and e-cig get in the news for all the wrong reasons. Last fiasco was over Air India selling e-cig on its flights. Then somebody complained to the Health Ministry and the .... hit the fan.

Are people stupid. If it says no smoking dont smoke. Why force your vape fumes on others. Nothing good ever comes off it.

ronchinoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Bangalore / India
Here is the article.
E-cigarettes set to be banned in India soon | Deccan Chronicle

My request that people please post a comment asking at least the newspaper to investigate the facts and to do a proper article.

Nishi I already run way to many forums. We have a movement going to submit a letter to the PMO office on the Indian e-cig forum at RDD.
Im not even sure what the process is to setup a forum here. Honestly I think our numbers are small.

I think this is a loosing battle. We don't stand a chance against BT. Anybody who reads the article can see how bad the scene is.
Our only hope is the approach the PM. For which we need to setup an online petition. Ill post the link for it as soon as I can.

In the mean time please do what you can do. Via your media contacts, or political contacts.

ronchinoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Bangalore / India
What is this American Study they are referring to ?.
I can find to links or information.

My take on this its only a matter of time till this is banned world wide. With WHO now jumping in with their experts.

Thank you Salemgold that was one of the best links I have come across.
I need help hunting down this all new American Study. Referred to in the article.

ronchinoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Bangalore / India

Nishi

Aug 4, 2014
Mumbai, India
BT is ready to foray into ecigs:
ITC is ready to foray into electronic cigarettes business - Economic Times

//ndia's largest cigarette maker, ITC, is ready to foray into electronic cigarettes and has engaged with the government to come out with a policy framework to launch them, chairman YC Deveshwar said.

ITC has already developed its ecigarette portfolio. Deveshwar said he expects the new government would look favourably into the e-cigarette space. "We are ready with e-cigarettes. However, some people want to ban it in India," Deveshwar said on Wednesday, adding that by the time it is established that e-cigarettes are less harmful than cigarettes, foreign brands will swamp the market and Indian companies will lose out.//

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Oh, my, lord... Your health minister is a total quack! Did they end up banning sex ed and condoms. Just curious.

I'm so sorry this is happening in your country. India has a huge amount of smoking doesn't it?

ETA: just looked up numbers for India, and they weren't as high as I'd been thinking.

Last edited:

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida

ronchinoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Bangalore / India
Thanks for the support guys.
I have some inside info from ITC. (BT over here).
With the amount of money they have pumped into e-cig there is no way the ban will happen.
And even it happens it will only be for a short period.

What will happen for sure is that import of e-cig related stuff will be shut down. So that only ITC can rule the market.
This is one Genie they cant put back into the bottle.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread