new to forum, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am new here...
Been visiting this site to try to answer my own questions regarding issues im having with my new dripper atomizers i just bought. ive been vaping since january, havent smoked a cigarette since. ive always used kangertech atomizers and most recently my setup has been the new kangertech aerotank mega with a k100 clone mod. its been sufficient enough but constantly has this little issue of leaking juice from the airflow hole.
Ive thought for a while now that switching to dripping would be a fun and exciting hobby that would give me the vapor output that i want aswell as the feeling of satisfaction. and yes, there is a lot of ego connected to dripping and blowing fat clouds for me personally. lol.
so now i have my own dripper and big fat mod to go with it and i just keep running in to problem after problem and when ive gone to the vape shop to ask questions i just get sold more equipment. i cant keep spending more money, and the part of me that doesnt want to give up, wants to buckle down and figure this technique out so that i dont feel like i just wasted all my hard earned money.

currently my issue is that my atomizer keeps burning the [Moderated] out of my throat. the coils were burning unevenly and there were 'hot legs' on the coils. now that ive seperated the coils a little bit making them looser they all seem to be burning correctly but still burn my throat.
another lovely issue is that the whole thing will catch fire if i burn it for too long while watching for coil abnormalities.

i have a ton of questions and just want my investment to be worthwhile.
please keep in mind that all the terms ive used so far is pretty much the extent of my vocab for vaping. so try to keep it simple for me.
thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using the juice I bought with my atomizer, idk the VG/pg levels but it is 6 mg. The first time i had the burning happen i was using a different kind of juice and started using this new kind and that fixed the problem but now the same thing is happening with this juice and a new build. when it did catch on fire one of the times the cotton was saturated with juice.... so idk if dry-ness was the issue. Thanks for your quick responses!

scratchtheweasel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2014
Pocono PA
Hi XG, welcome to ECF. You are entering the forums like a lot of folks have - bewildered, slightly broke, and looking for help. This was me at least. :)

I have had several of the problems you listed. My Aerotanks have (and still do) give me some headaches and I've had my dripper catch fire a few times. These things are not exactly normal, but it's a lot like riding a bike - you are not cruising down mountain paths and popping wheelies when you start out.

Some specific feedback on your issues:

Aerotank leaking: This could be any number of things from factory defects to use issues. Some things you can potentially try are verifying your are using genuine Kangertech atomizer heads - specifically the new version that has the ohm rating printed on the atomizer head. You could try using a higher VG to PG ratio so that the juice is thicker and may leak through less. Be careful with going too high on the VG though since you can have wicking issues with juice that's too thick. Regular cleaning may also stave off the leaking. If you are going to buy a new Aerotank consider using a vendor that will provide a warranty and deal with Kangertech in the event of defective parts. Some B&M's won't do this for you, some will.

Aerotank + k100: I have both of these and I can tell you they are not going to work well together. Actually now that I'm thinking about it this could be related to your leaking issue. The k100 is a mech mod and it cannot bump up the voltage enough to properly heat a dual coil tank. The result is almost always flooding of the atomizer head chamber (meaning you pull more liquid into the atomizer head than you can vaporize). This excess has to go somewhere and gravity says go down. I have not have flooding so severe that resulted in juice coming out of the air intake hole, but it seems like a plausible explanation for your issue. Regardless of the leaking though this is probably not going to be an enjoyable vape since the coils are just not going to get hot enough. One option you can try if you like this setup is switching to the newer 0.8 sub-ohm Kangertech atomizer heads, or a 1.5 ohm atomizer head if the sub-ohm heads are giving you a dry hit (the 0.8's can have wicking issues - the opposite of what you may be getting with heads you are using now).

Atomizer Head for Kanger Tanks - Dual Coil V2 - 0.8ohm

Atomizer Head for Kanger Tanks - Dual Coil V2

Regarding your dripper catching fire - others on the forum can probably give you better advice on this, but it is likely related to just burning it without juice on there. If you're trying to burn off the coil to clean it up it's best to combine this with re-wicking with fresh cotton. For what it's worth I've been slowly learning about dripping and mechs for a couple of months now, and I still feel like I've got 0.001% figured out. It takes time to learn the ins and outs. You really need to do your research on this to do it safely. For instance you don't mention the type of battery or the resistance of the coil you are using on your dripper. Using the wrong battery with a low resistance coil can be very dangerous - you need to be careful.

Last but not least, I think it's important to have a safe and comfortable device + backup. It can be very rewarding to dive deeper into more advanced vaping, but for a lot of us priority #1 is not smoking cigarettes anymore. I know if I don't have 2 reliable batteries and relatively hassle free tanks to use with them that I'm at risk. So my suggestion for everyone is to have a couple of lower cost devices like a Vision Spinner II, or an MVP 2.0 (not as cheap, but more versatile). Once you've got a comfortable daily vape it will relieve some of the stress around learning the more advanced techniques.

Good luck - vape on.

ughmassa

Aug 6, 2014
stayton or usa
This is a working dual twisted 28 gauge wicked properly and saturated. If you do not have enough juice it will taste burnt or possibly catch fire. This is approximately 10 drops into my atty

Attachments

• IMG412.jpg
    IMG412.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 15
Hi all. Wow, so much input this is crazy. So the resistance is the ohm reading right? I just figured out my ohm reader and got a reading of 0.2. The atomizer I'm using is called tobeco and it is made to work with my mod which is a hades clone. The battery I'm using is 3.7 volts but its 3500 mAh so its really big that's what I meant by "big fat" mod. As far as pictures I know thats provably vital to getting better answers but I can't figure out how to attach an image, or view attached images like the one a user just attached. I am using mobile, so that might be why. Thanks

ughmassa

Aug 6, 2014
stayton or usa
.2 ohms is very low and probably why you're having problems. One of the only batteries that can handle that low of resistance is a Sony vtc5. (I'm assuming you're using a mechanical mod and not regulated) I'm guessing you've gone a bit in the deep end and your putting yourself at risk of being injured. You must know the amp limits of your batteries and build coils within that range. This is a tired conversation on these forums. There's plenty of info on here. If you'd like to blow up have fun going as you please. But id really encourage you to read up on what you're doing and build a coil of higher resistance.

Thank you for your help, all of the builds I've had so far have been done by other people, the last one I had built, the build I have now that read 0.2 was done by the dude at the smoke shop on the atomizer that he sold me. I'm definitely not into the idea of blowing myself up and I want to learn how to be safe and have a good build. I wanna learn how to do it correctly and safely before I start to build myself.

Flyfisher

Jul 9, 2014
Germany
ok 0.2 ohms is a bit aggressive if you are just starting out try something a bit milder at first something around 0.6 to 0.8 ohm. next what battery do you have exactly and what is the amperage rating if it is not 30 amp battery you are really asking for serious safety problems. Battery safety is and should be the first thing that any shop should talk to you about. I work in a shop and i will not sell a battery to someone with a mech mod that doesnt have a 30 amp rating or higher. That being said pictures will help alot with your problem so we can see whats going on but my guess is the same as the others toomuch cotton or too little cotton along with too little liquid.

scratchtheweasel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2014
Pocono PA
0.2 is too low for novice use - no offense intended, it's just not safe. I was lighting mine up at 0.4, and have not gone below 0.5 since.

Bad's blog on batteries is a very good first stop for you:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-9-battery-basics-mods-imr-protected-icr.html

I would not suggest using your mech mod and dripper until you have read this and purchased an appropriate battery. Like ughmassa said you need a 30 amp high drain battery for a resistance that low, and you won't find those in a 3500 mah battery. You are quite likely in a dangerous setup there.

ughmassa

Aug 6, 2014
stayton or usa
Unless he sold you a Sony vtc5 he is putting you at risk. Check out rip trippers YouTube on how to build a coil. He has lots of them. Its how I learned and I can build a great coil after some practice. Learn what kind of a battery you have and the amp limits. Learn ohms law so you can figure out the resistance you want. And stick within those parameters

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Hi all. Wow, so much input this is crazy. So the resistance is the ohm reading right? I just figured out my ohm reader and got a reading of 0.2. The atomizer I'm using is called tobeco and it is made to work with my mod which is a hades clone. The battery I'm using is 3.7 volts but its 3500 mAh so its really big that's what I meant by "big fat" mod. As far as pictures I know thats provably vital to getting better answers but I can't figure out how to attach an image, or view attached images like the one a user just attached. I am using mobile, so that might be why. Thanks

That will go through a lot of juice very quickly. {cough}

Maybe you need to figure out what you're actual settings are. 3.7*3.7/0.2 = ummm, no.

Last edited:

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
That is definately not going to be a battery to use in a mech at .2 what is the name of the battery? I can tell you at 3500mah it is not going to be a high amp battery. You are likely getting throat hit from not enough juice, or the fact that youre running a really low sub ohm build and probably do not have the proper airflow setup for that. But please go buy some good batteries first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread