How many drops equal one cigarette

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiff

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2009
Arizona
There are so many variables that go into this. Viscosity of liquid and the size of each drop are two of many to consider. Since you absorb less nicotine from vaping, it will take longer to absorb the same amount as you would a cigarette. For example, if you take 5 drags off a cig, and 5 puffs off an e-cig, you will not have absorbed the same amount of nicotine.

jabba3

May 21, 2010
pA
I think i read that thread. It said something like nicotine levels were lower in vapors even when vaping 24mg cartos, so not as much is absorbed. I have a buzz right now but i have taken about 10 puffs in the last few mins. But i dont want to use a higher dosage than 36mg out of fear of skin or lip contamination. Im pretty sure 36mg is toxic if it got absorbed all at once no?

jabba3

May 21, 2010
pA
i could be 100% wrong, but I think part of the reason that the 1:1 ratio doesn't "feel" right to us vaping is because of a lack of all the other cig additives.

Yeah, we still get nicotine by vaping (thought it may be less per puff than through an analog cig); we're also missing out on the other junk.

Im also a snus user, and that nicotine u defintely feel in the bloodstream, the vaping takes i think 2-1 ratio compared to cigs if you want equal nicotine. 36mg is probaly closer to 1-1 if you do some long pulling.

Im also a snus user, and that nicotine u defintely feel in the bloodstream, the vaping takes i think 2-1 ratio compared to cigs if you want equal nicotine. 36mg is probaly closer to 1-1 if you do some long pulling.

That's a fair assessment, and probably quite true.

I'm thinking in terms of my cig smoking, vs vaping (tonights my first time ever), chew, dip, snus and snuff (nasal snuff)......I <3 Tobacco!

...but I think there is something unique to cigs that other nicotine sources don't seem to provide all the time.

sanfordf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2010
Northern San Diego county
Remember, a tobacco cigarette is the most efficient device that millions of dollars and modern chemistry can produce to deliver nicotine. From personal experience, it seems to take me, using my own DIY 25 mg/ml juice, about 20 - 30 vapes or about 6 - 9 drops, depending on how deep, long, slow I draw, to equal the level of nicotine satisfaction as about 1 .... (about 7 - 10 drags). Some times I feel the need for more, I vape more. The same thing I did when I burned butts. I smoked Camel Hard Packs. Pack a day, for 25 years.

What some info in other areas of ECF have stated is that burning gets the (1 mg) nic into you quicker but vaping builds it up slower to the same (1 mg) level. Vaping is less efficient in the short run, but in the long run you achieve (through self adjustment) what feels right to you. I use and agree that SNUS adds the missing alkaloids that are missing from vaping.

There are people that vape 48 mg/ml and still feel they are missing out. But that's extreme in my estimation. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Just curious. Im using 36mg flavorless nicotine and it seems it doesnt quite do the trick unless im sucking on it for awhile. I will usually put in about 8 drops 3 times per day.

It depends on 3 things. How strong the e-Juice is. What Cigarette you are comparing it to. And what size if the drop.

A pack of cigarettes nicotine amount is for 20 cigarettes. So if you smoke a strong cigarette, say American Sprites Blue, the have 26mg per pack. So one cigarette has 1.3 mg of nicotine.

e-Juice’s nicotine rating is based on 1 milliliter (ml) of fluid. 1ml of water contains 20 drops. So for 36mg e-Juice, 1 drop is 1.8 mg of nicotine.

Notice I said 20 drops per ml. of Water. Pure VG base e-Juice is much thicker than water. It has a higher surface tension than water. So 1 drop of VG based e-Juice will contain more volume than 1 drop of water. PG based e-Juices appear to have about the same viscosity as water so 20 drops of PG based e-Juice will equal 1 ml.

To keep things simple, let’s say that you are using PG based e-Juice. You said that you are vaping 24 drops of 36mg e-Juice a day. That would equal to 43.2mg of nicotine per day.

But here is where the rub comes in. Even if you are taking in more nicotine per day than with analogs, it doesn’t mean that “it does the trick” for you. Analogs have a cornucopia of other chemical compounds that you take it when you take a hit of a analog. There is as an extreme Oxygen depravation for the time that the analog smoke is in your lungs.

I found that my analog addiction was not just a nicotine addiction. It was an addiction to the nicotine and the other chemical compound that are produced by burning tobacco, paper and God knows what ever they put in analogs.

I would suggest that you don’t vape any higher than 36mg. I would also suggest that you move to a lower nicotine level such as 28mg. I think what you will find is that your craving for analogs will diminish within 2 week of quitting Completely. Then you can move down to lower nicotine levels once again.

I don’t feel for many people that e-Cigs are a direct replacement for analogs. For those people, like myself, there is going to be some withdrawl and some pain during the first 2 weeks. The good thing is that the cravings do lessen and if you can go 30 days with out a single analog, you are 85% of the way to quitting for good.

jabba3

May 21, 2010
pA
It depends on 3 things. How strong the e-Juice is. What Cigarette you are comparing it to. And what size if the drop.

A pack of cigarettes nicotine amount is for 20 cigarettes. So if you smoke a strong cigarette, say American Sprites Blue, the have 26mg per pack. So one cigarette has 1.3 mg of nicotine.

e-Juice’s nicotine rating is based on 1 milliliter (ml) of fluid. 1ml of water contains 20 drops. So for 36mg e-Juice, 1 drop is 1.8 mg of nicotine.

Notice I said 20 drops per ml. of Water. Pure VG base e-Juice is much thicker than water. It has a higher surface tension than water. So 1 drop of VG based e-Juice will contain more volume than 1 drop of water. PG based e-Juices appear to have about the same viscosity as water so 20 drops of PG based e-Juice will equal 1 ml.

To keep things simple, let’s say that you are using PG based e-Juice. You said that you are vaping 24 drops of 36mg e-Juice a day. That would equal to 43.2mg of nicotine per day.

But here is where the rub comes in. Even if you are taking in more nicotine per day than with analogs, it doesn’t mean that “it does the trick” for you. Analogs have a cornucopia of other chemical compounds that you take it when you take a hit of a analog. There is as an extreme Oxygen depravation for the time that the analog smoke is in your lungs.

I found that my analog addiction was not just a nicotine addiction. It was an addiction to the nicotine and the other chemical compound that are produced by burning tobacco, paper and God knows what ever they put in analogs.

I would suggest that you don’t vape any higher than 36mg. I would also suggest that you move to a lower nicotine level such as 28mg. I think what you will find is that your craving for analogs will diminish within 2 week of quitting Completely. Then you can move down to lower nicotine levels once again.

I don’t feel for many people that e-Cigs are a direct replacement for analogs. For those people, like myself, there is going to be some withdrawl and some pain during the first 2 weeks. The good thing is that the cravings do lessen and if you can go 30 days with out a single analog, you are 85% of the way to quitting for good.

I haven't had a cigarette in months, i just like the nicotine hit, but have realized over time the negative side effects of smoking. And the price. Im curious why you think i should downgrade from 36mg nicotine. Thank you for the information about ML sizes i was unaware how much i was dripping.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... Im curious why you think i should downgrade from 36mg nicotine. Thank you for the information about ML sizes i was unaware how much i was dripping.

Because I feel, in the long run, it would be healthier to vape Lower levels of Nicotine verses High levels of nicotine.

I went from 36mg to 28mg to 24mg to now, I vape mainly 18mg or sometimes 12mg. I don't seem to get any less "hit" with 18mg then I did 6 weeks ago doing 36mg. But I do think that ingesting 1/2 of the nicotine isn't going to hurt me. It is also cheaper.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
I dont compare them to cigarettes as they really aren't imo comparable. The only similarity is that they both contain nicotine, which we inhale.
I have what I want when I want it, and feel happy that I'm no longer taking in all that carbon monoxide and tar (among other things). In the evenings, at my PC, I chain vape :)
I smoked ultra lights, a pack a day, for 20 years (and I went from reg strength to ultralights, first 10 years I was on reg cigs) and am happy on 12mg, and 0 nic as well at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread