What does this mean as far as ordering? (Minnesota Ecig Taxes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It says you must pay a 95 percent tax on all "tobacco products" including e liquids if you get over 50 a month. But local b&ms are selling them for the same price as they are online, etc. Do I have to pay this or something? Seems ridiculous.
E-cigarettes

Perhaps they have not begun enforcing it yet? When did they decide that e-cigarettes met the definition of a tobacco product? There may be a 90 day or so lag time for everyone to fall in line.

It looks like your vendor will be primarily responsible for the taxes, but if your vendor does not pay (because they are out of state or not compliant with the law), then you are responsible. Whether you will actually have to pay the taxes depends on how they choose to enforce it.

In my state we are supposed to report all out-of-state purchases on our tax returns (ha ha!). However, internet tobacco product sales in my state are simply banned, so I have no idea how another state would enforce that (although in my state e-cigs are not considered tobacco products, yet...).

You might wanna take a trip to you local B&M and ask them about it, they may have a more clear answer for you.

northhar

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2011
CanTheBan
After reading the link.. may I suggest an option which seems legal.. (not a lawyer and my dealing with tax authorities in my country is they always work so they win.)
Buy only 0 nic ejuice it is nontaxable.. order some unflavored nic 36mg or greater and add it to the juice.. even if you pay tax on the unflavored you would be ahead.

mac63

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2014
After reading the link.. may I suggest an option which seems legal.. (not a lawyer and my dealing with tax authorities in my country is they always work so they win.)
Buy only 0 nic ejuice it is nontaxable.. order some unflavored nic 36mg or greater and add it to the juice.. even if you pay tax on the unflavored you would be ahead.

Would have to also get some flavor extracts to bring the mix back up to full taste.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
as i read it they are talking ciga-likes here. pre-filled cartridges.
" For example, the Tobacco Tax on an e-cigarette starter kit is calculated on the total cost unless the nicotine cartridges are sold separately and then the tax would only be on the nicotine cartridge value. Similarly, a disposable e-cigarette may have the tax calculated on its nicotine cartridge value if the cartridge is replaceable."
this is why a 5 pack is 20-25 dollars a shot. its also why B&M's are springing up all over the place. people are quickly switching to advanced options.
regards
mike

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
as i read it they are talking ciga-likes here. pre-filled cartridges.
" For example, the Tobacco Tax on an e-cigarette starter kit is calculated on the total cost unless the nicotine cartridges are sold separately and then the tax would only be on the nicotine cartridge value. Similarly, a disposable e-cigarette may have the tax calculated on its nicotine cartridge value if the cartridge is replaceable."
this is why a 5 pack is 20-25 dollars a shot. its also why B&M's are springing up all over the place. people are quickly switching to advanced options.
regards
mike

This reads to me like a statute written by a bunch of ignorant rubes who think disposables and first-generation cigalikes are the only vaping products that exist. Because you have to live it when the people enacting public health policy can't be bothered to do 10 minutes of research before they start legislating.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
This reads to me like a statute written by a bunch of ignorant rubes who think disposables and first-generation cigalikes are the only vaping products that exist. Because you have to live it when the people enacting public health policy can't be bothered to do 10 minutes of research before they start legislating.
this was done pretty much before PV's where available locally.
cant remember for sure, some where in the 2007-9 time frame.
i my self wasn't aware of e-cigs in general till 2013.
regards
mike

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I'm from Minnesota and talked to my b&m they said it's all e-liquid that's why they have their juice made in Wisconsin so the tax isn't applied to keep prices down.

your B&M is wrong.its for pre-filled cartridges only.
i am not even sure they are collecting the tax as
the price difference between the over the counter
and online is not that much.
i far as i know internet sales are not being enforced
for cartridges bought on the internet.however they
have been going after internet cigarette buyers as
there is no tax stamp on the packs.
there is no stamp requirement on the cartridges.
i can get locally 10 ml,18mg nic at 5.99 two for one.
pay regular state sales tax is all.
the law was written when only cigalikes were available.
regards
mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread