Second Hand Vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
Just curious.How much nic. is leftover in the exhale,and is it dangerous to those around you?I read a post awhile back where someone made a comment about vaping in the car with his kids.I dont vape around my kids,but was wondering if there was enough nic in the exhale to make a non vaper/smoker sick.
Phunky.....While long term testing results for e-cigs is still up in the air we do know that e-cigarette second-hand vapor disperses and diffuses much more quickly than actual smoke and contains no particulates.Any trace nicotine from second hand vapor would be minute as the nicotine itself is absorbed into the body.

Being one of those selfish parents who smoked in their car with kids for years I did keep the window cracked open...and still do when vaping.I certainly feel better now knowing my kids are no longer breathing in second hand smoke.Plus my car doesn't stink!

:)The Wiz!

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
I think this report will ease any concerns you have about vaping around your children.

http://www.healthnz.co.nz/RuyanCartridgeReport30-Oct-08.pdf

5. Safety of Ruyan e-cigarette "smoke" for Bystanders (From page 21):

5. Safety of Ruyan® e-cigarette ‘smoke’ for bystanders.
Method. Analysis of published data on nicotine absorption, and informal comments of
bystanders, and observation of e-cigarette smoking indoors.
Results. Cigarette smoke is a mixture of sidestream smoke and exhaled mainstream
smoke. In constrast, the e-cigarette generates no sidestream smoke from its (artificially
lit) tip. Any exhaled PG mist visibly dissipates to vapor within seconds. Non-smoking
bystanders do not find the mist unpleasant. The mist is odorless, and those close by
quickly realize it does not have the odor of smoke or the irritating quality of tobacco
cigarette smoke.
Comments. Inhaled nicotine in cigarette smoke is over 98% absorbed 6, and so the
exhaled mist of the e-cigarette is composed of propylene glycol, and probably contains
almost no nicotine; and no CO. (see Figure 3.5) Lacking any active ingredient or any
gaseous products of combustion, the PG mist or ‘smoke’ is not harmful to bystanders.
The ‘smoke’ or mist is not tobacco smoke, and not from combustion – no flame is lit –
and is not defined as environmental tobacco smoke.
E-cigarette “smoking” would be
permitted under New Zealand’s Smoke-free Environments Act 1990.33

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Essentially it's the same as disco fog, but at much lower concentrations. That has been studied endlessly for FDA approvals etc and passed - bar staff get high exposure in some entertainment venues and it's passed OK for them.

A while back it was said that if you went to a lung cancer hospital ward, the jobs represented there most were bar staff and taxi / bus drivers. The bar staff aren't there now that smoking is banned. Not sure about the drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread