People hate vapor. But the cops don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

incineradma

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Midwest
www.myspace.com
Man, ever since the first day of having this thing, it has been a blast bothering the heck out of everyone I can think of. And only because it shows them their own ridiculousness in their preconcieved notions--which I think is a good deed if anything is.

Places where lots of old people shop. Or rich people. They will give you the most horrible looks. It's as though they are really reaching to disturb you or make you feel so terribly ashamed that you acTually question the lifestyle you live.. with flaming self-hatred and a hopelessness for redemption. I really feel this is what these women (and sometimes men) are trying to convey to me when they see vapor pour from my lips right there in the middle of the pricey clothing store.

Aside from crude looks, I've run into a few bars to pass out music flyers, you know, bars being the places 'cool' people are most likely found in a place like Nebraska, and I will get people gawking like their jaws are chained to the floor, and then flipping me off as I leave.

So entertaining.

But the funny ones are "I don't think that's legal," "I'll have to ask my manager" (questionable IQ in this instance-- I do offer ample explaination), or my favorite.. "You can't smoke in here... GET OUT!!!!" hahahafkljdflk;djfl.

But the cops are totally cool about it. I sit there vaping away on the hill. They just pass me by. Not even a tall hill. More like the side of the hill. Totally visible. I've done it in gas stations with cops standing around. Not a word.

Hmm.

edit alright, there's some controversy over the meaning of my intentions. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but there is something exciting about walking into a store which you are doing nothing illegal or directly harmful (if you're offended it's your own fault, right? though take that with a grain of salt) and you know you will be surprised by people's impressions. Just as I enjoy walking through the downtown where people are everywhere, and singing (not horribly, mind you, I think I do an alright job). It's something fun to do that most people happen not to feel inclined to do. Maybe I'll inspire someone else to take it up as a hobby.

I should throw out there that the more places you're seen with one the more people will know about it, because someone always asks you. Even if some people aren't nice and just turn their noses up, they might hear about it later and think "oh, that chick musta had one of those, I guess they're getting more popular" instead of "well I haven't seen those they must not be blah blah blah"

Eh.

***edit2 apparently it's also necessary that I clarify I have straight long brown hair and wear jeans and teeshirts. I look absolutely normal as they come. I also act kindly toward people and do offer explanaitions and the people usually just turn their heads and don't want to hear it. I'd appreciate it if everyone stopped attacking the character they have built and called "incineradma" and instead read what i said without making implications. Thank you and way to go completely off topic, everyone.

Last edited:

Lorddrek

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2009
With attitude like that your giving public vaping and E-Cigs in general a bad rap. Of course people are reacting that way. It looks like smoke! So aleady close minded people will think even worse about it if and when it becomes a more common practice.

When you get a little older you might understand it is best to respect and protect your pleasures rather than shove them in another persons face...

Lorddrek

RaverCJ

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2008
Los Angeles
I think I agree with Lorddrek. Not that I want to put you down or anything, incinderadma, I love the in-your-face attitude and probably hate those people who cough when they walk by and see you vaping as much as the next guy.

I just think that the general public needs to be better educated before we start testing the water. If we vapers start shoving it in people's faces, I think we'll be faced with nothing but opposition in the near future.

I vape around non-smokers whenever I visit family in Minnesota as well as friends in California. I just make a point to ask as well as explain to those around me what I'm doing. I've found that people have reacted positively with general curiosity. I've gotta say, as a smoker, it's nice to not have so many people glaring at me all the time anymore.

Like I said, I'm not telling you what to do, incineradma. I can totally understand pleasure out of sticking it to the ignorant people around you. I just think that now isn't the time.

JJames68

Jan 25, 2009
Man, ever since the first day of having this thing, it has been a blast bothering the heck out of everyone I can think of. And only because it shows them their own ridiculousness in their preconcieved notions--which I think is a good deed if anything is.

Places where lots of old people shop. Or rich people. They will give you the most horrible looks. It's as though they are really reaching to disturb you or make you feel so terribly ashamed that you acTually question the lifestyle you live.. with flaming self-hatred and a hopelessness for redemption. I really feel this is what these women (and sometimes men) are trying to convey to me when they see vapor pour from my lips right there in the middle of the pricey clothing store.

Aside from crude looks, I've run into a few bars to pass out music flyers, you know, bars being the places 'cool' people are most likely found in a place like Nebraska, and I will get people gawking like their jaws are chained to the floor, and then flipping me off as I leave.

So entertaining.

But the funny ones are "I don't think that's legal," "I'll have to ask my manager" (questionable IQ in this instance-- I do offer ample explaination), or my favorite.. "You can't smoke in here... GET OUT!!!!" hahahafkljdflk;djfl.

But the cops are totally cool about it. I sit there vaping away on the hill. They just pass me by. Not even a tall hill. More like the side of the hill. Totally visible. I've done it in gas stations with cops standing around. Not a word.

Hmm.

yep, some are as bad as monkeys, they don't even know why it upset them

Motivational Speaker

that is why I go with the black ones now, less hassle

Denni

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2008
UK
denni-schnapp.livejournal.com
Don't vape in gas stations, there are petrol fumes around and your atomiser has a glowing element!

Is it an urban myth or is it true that someone's mobile caught fire once?

Saying all that, I've seen a guy sitting on a fuel drum and puffing away on a kretek at a filling station in Borneo ;) Should've taken a pic.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Don't vape in gas stations, there are petrol fumes around and your atomiser has a glowing element!

Saying all that, I've seen a guy sitting on a fuel drum and puffing away on a kretek at a filling station in Borneo ;) Should've taken a pic.

I think it's only the 'flame' from lighting up a cigarette that is really dangerous around petrol fumes......I have thrown lighted cigarette stubs into puddles of petrol and all it does is put the .... out! .....It certainly hasn't worked like in the movies when everything explodes into flame.....Mind you I sure wouldn't recommend any else trying it.....8-o

OutWest

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Oklahoma USA
www.alternasmokes.com
for analogs and gasoline - it takes an open flame or spark to light gasoline (actually, to ignite the fumes). The glowing end of a cigarette will not ignite gasoline. That being said, sometimes when smoking an analog there will be a spot in the cig paper where there is a clump of gunpowder and it will flare. That WILL ignite gasoline fumes. (for those that smoke, or used to smoke, analogs, you know what i'm referring to - those rare times when smoking and suddenly your ciggy 'farts' and flares)

Diesel fuel is another matter. A lit cigarette will ignite diesel.

As for e-cigs, no idea if it would ignite gasoline or not. I suspect not, but have no desire to be the one to test it ;)

Last edited:

eLiciafay

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2009
Naperville, IL

That's cuz kreteks are deliciousness. I wish that ejuice came in Djarum Black flavor!

nealglover

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
UK - York
for analogs and gasoline - it takes an open flame or spark to light gasoline (actually, to ignite the fumes). The glowing end of a cigarette will not ignite gasoline. That being said, sometimes when smoking an analog there will be a spot in the cig paper where there is a clump of gunpowder and it will flare. That WILL ignite gasoline fumes. (for those that smoke, or used to smoke, analogs, you know what i'm referring to - those rare times when smoking and suddenly your ciggy 'farts' and flares)

Diesel fuel is another matter. A lit cigarette will ignite diesel.

As for e-cigs, no idea if it would ignite gasoline or not. I suspect not, but have no desire to be the one to test it ;)

It's off topic, but there is no way a lit cigarette would ignite diesel. I used to work in a transport yard and there was always pools of diesel on the floor. The pump guys always smoked and just threw there cig butts into the diesel pools to put them out when they were done.

A deisel engine uses very high compression to generate something like 450 degrees F and then a very fine mist of diesel to ignite it. You would struggle to set a bucket on fire with a blowtorch.

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
There were times when smoking was not considered unhealthy at all. But it smelled horribly to those who did not smoke. Some smokers were like the original poster of this thread and found their objections hilarious, low-IQ, etc. We are all reaping the fruit of such beaviour in current smoking bans that are much more than just a protection of non smokers. They are revenge for years when the non-smokers had to endure this.

Now, do you want e-smoking to meet the same fate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread