Cleaning eGo Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

tazzmann

Accessories Supplier
ECF Veteran
I have an eGo and while changing Atty's this morning I noticed that there was some wetness on the center post of the battery. Since I drip, I thought, Ok too much juice once. So I got a q-tip and cleaned the inside.

While doing this, I noticed that I got some black "stuff" off of the threads. I cleaned all this stuff off and put it all back together and actually got better vaper. :vapor:I think this is because the "black stuff" was creating a resistance on the negative side thus the battery was not putting out the same voltage to the atty as it should.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it just tarnish from the brass? Wha'ts up dudes and dudettes!?:pop:

Thanks!

tazz

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I think if you q-tip out the inside of your eGo cone you will find the same "black stuff".

Allthought it could be tarnish from the center post. It is more likely un-vaped juice that has come from your atomizer or cartomizers. It could also be some residual oil that was not removed after the tapping of the connector threads.

I like to swab out ALL my batteries about once every 2 weeks or so. A little rubbing alcohol on a q-tip works wonders.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I always Q-Tip the battery so it stays nice and clean, especially before putting it on the charger. This is the only way I've ever cleaned my eGo batteries too and I've had them for months now.

I agree with the big boss, Ms. Bella..Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol does the trick!! :)
+1

Yup! Folks aren't quite sure what it is, but it is not related to dripping. They just call it black gunk. Yes it will cause interference with the exchange of electrons.

The above mentioned maintenance procedure needs to be carried out weekly on battery mods, where the case is used as the negative pole.

stubear62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2009
Myrtle Beach, SC
I do this every time I go to charge my eGo batt.
I take a Q-tip and go around the inside threads where the atty attaches to. I use a clean, dry q-tip and use it about 3 or 4 times.That is about every 2 days I start with a new one..
I only use the alcohol on the charger threads and the threads of the batt if I had any juice go in there.
The black you see is actually the "dead" electrons that have been deposited to the threads and they can cause either damage, faulty atty problems (less vapor) and may even killthe batt and atty prematurely.
I NEVER use the alcohol on the atty threads at all.
I only squeeze the atty thread between a paper towel and use my finger nail to try to 'push' the paper towel into the atty threads to clean them.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... The black you see is actually the "dead" electrons that have been deposited to the threads and they can cause either damage, faulty atty problems (less vapor) and may even killthe batt and atty prematurely. ...

"Dead" Electrons ??? I didn't know that electrons were even alive let alone could die. I wonder if good electrons go to heaven? And if so, were do agnostic electrons go when they die?

$hua

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
SomeWhereOverTheRainbow, GA
"Dead" Electrons ??? I didn't know that electrons were even alive let alone could die. I wonder if good electrons go to heaven? And if so, were do agnostic electrons go when they die?

The River Styx?

Glad someone asked this question,, i thought i just had dirty batt threads all the time....

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Aaaah yes… Oxidation

The subtle interaction of Oxygen and reactive Metals. Bane to the common man and the source of endless conversation among Metallurgy instructors. When will a civilized world ever rid themselves of this age old scourge?

Although it would be easy to pin the blame for the eGo’s Black Gunk on a Redox reaction, I don’t think that is the culprit. In that, the Oxides that are formed on the surface of a reactive or semi-reactive metal when brought in contact with Oxygen and water have extremely strong bonds to the underlying substrate. These bonds are not easily broken by the mere rubbing of a mild mannered Q-Tip.

No, I think there is a Deeper, more Sinister cause to the appearance of this Black Gunk.

Is it possible that the Vaporization and subsequent Inhalation of e-Juice is not a 100% efficient process? Could there be residual vapor deposited on the battery connector during the vaping cycle? Could such a residue contain cantenated Hydrocarbon chains? And then this residual vapor acquire airborne particulates and then collect on the battery connector and it’s threads?

Possibly. Or there could be a simpler reason such as Witchcraft or Modern Day Alchemy.

But if I am ever on Jeopardy and the answer comes up “Black Gunk on a E-Cig Battery Connector.” I’m going to say. “What is Un-Vaped e-Juice Alex?”.

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
Aaaah yes… Oxidation

The subtle interaction of Oxygen and reactive Metals. Bane to the common man and the source of endless conversation among Metallurgy instructors. When will a civilized world ever rid themselves of this age old scourge?

Although it would be easy to pin the blame for the eGo’s Black Gunk on a Redox reaction, I don’t think that is the culprit. In that, the Oxides that are formed on the surface of a reactive or semi-reactive metal when brought in contact with Oxygen and water have extremely strong bonds to the underlying substrate. These bonds are not easily broken by the mere rubbing of a mild mannered Q-Tip.

No, I think there is a Deeper, more Sinister cause to the appearance of this Black Gunk.

Is it possible that the Vaporization and subsequent Inhalation of e-Juice is not a 100% efficient process? Could there be residual vapor deposited on the battery connector during the vaping cycle? Could such a residue contain cantenated Hydrocarbon chains? And then this residual vapor acquire airborne particulates and then collect on the battery connector and it’s threads?

Possibly. Or there could be a simpler reason such as Witchcraft or Modern Day Alchemy.

But if I am ever on Jeopardy and the answer comes up “Black Gunk on a E-Cig Battery Connector.” I’m going to say. “What is Un-Vaped e-Juice Alex?”.

:shock:

Jesus zoiDman, put down the PV, willya? :lol:

And, my votes for Witchcraft Alex....

tazzmann

Accessories Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aaaah yes… Oxidation

:lol: Nice!

sjohnson

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Brass oxidizes, and the surface will look black. The oxidation wipes off with a tissue due to the mild abrasive nature of paper. If what comes off has a green hue to it, it's an oxide of copper (present in brass) and possibly of zinc, also part of the brass alloy.

If I had juice turning black on my battery threads, I'd be questioning my use of that juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread