Well, my mechanical mod went BOOM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nisstyre

Dec 2, 2014
Toronto, ON, CA
Before getting into this story I want to make it clear that I am well aware of the dangers involved in using Mechanical Mods. I always do my best to vape as safely as possible, but hey. Sometimes .... happens.

My set up in this case was a Stingray X with a Dark Horse rda, Sony VTC 5 battary, duel 24 gauge kanthal twisted coils .2 ohm.

I was out a few days ago running errands, and like every other day I brought my mod out with me to vape on. Well all was going well until while I was on the street car on my way home I started feeling my leg getting hot right under where my mod was in my jacket pocket. I stood up and pulled the stop request button on the street car as I reached into my pocket to get my mod out, well the mod was so hot I couldn't touch it, and my pocket started smoking. By this point the street car had stopped for me to get off. I ran off, turned my pocket inside out and saw my MOD was POURING out smoke, for everywhere, the venting holes, and the top of the rda. Luckily the street I was on wasn't very busy and I had time to kick the thing down an ally. I stood watching for a few minutes because I didn't want anyone walking by to approach the ally way and get hurt when POP!!!!!!! The whole thing blows apart. Luckily no one was hurt. I went back to my local vape shop and explained what happened to the owner of the shop, and he hooked me up with a new set up for free. Now I am using a IPV V2 60 watt box mod, and have a new Dark Horse RDA on it. Still not too sure what happened as the battery was working fine, and the whole set up was working for over two months without a problem. Anyways, just wanted to share that little story with everyone.

TorontoOntario

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2014
Canada
Damn man we live in the same city, I could have been on that street car. What gives, you claim to practice safe procedures but at the same time state "hey things happen." Sorry this crap makes me frustrated as anything and I am furious after reading about a vented battery and a mech mod literally exploding. Come on man, are you even sure that your VTC5s were real. Where and when did you get them? What vape shop do you frequent I know some great ones in Toronto that wouldn't sell a newb a mech even for a milly (not saying your a newb, but damn man...come on)

cocacola31173

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
United States
Personally I think if you attempt builds like these...even though you know what you are doing...that it should be left at home where you can handle it without worrying that other people could get hurt.

At least you took it safely away. ...Not like that coward at the Vape meet that Pbusardo was at and just dropped it and ran.

TorontoOntario

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2014
Canada
Sounds like you know what your doing Kevin. I don't think mechs should even get as much as warm, am I wrong here. I am not claiming to know a ton about mechs I am a regulated guy and an x provari user but my girl friend ....ing loves them, has been using them for years and years and she always says essentially if the mech is getting even warm its a bad thing...but she could very easily be wrong to...wouldn't be the first time ahaha.

Niten13

Verified Member
Nov 18, 2014
Tigard, OR, USA
Sounds like you know what your doing Kevin. I don't think mechs should even get as much as warm, am I wrong here. I am not claiming to know a ton about mechs I am a regulated guy and an x provari user but my girl friend ....ing loves them, has been using them for years and years and she always says essentially if the mech is getting even warm its a bad thing...but she could very easily be wrong to...wouldn't be the first time ahaha.

I do and don't agree, I have a mech and am fairly warm blooded so my mech always got warmer with temp coming from my hand.. Of course then I alwasys popped her open and felt the battery that was cool to the touch. Yes people who use mechanical mods need to always be on top of their battery and the health of the battery to prevent this from happening. Had this guy been completely ignorant he would not have even noticed it..
Good thing he is safe and kept this from turning into a bad headline, and he did the smart thing and went to a Regulated mod that he can put in his pocket..

Nisstyre

Dec 2, 2014
Toronto, ON, CA
The body ruptured, and yes things do happen, this was a thing that happened. Sorry if my light tone offends some. Next time I almost blow my leg off I will keep the tone somber, but if it helps I was shaking like a leaf afterwards and apparently took on a wonderful shade of green for the next few hours according to my wife. Either way, keeping my mechanical mods at home hence forth. I feel much more comfortable walking around with a regulated device on me. The mod had a lock switch which was fully engaged, the battery is...was authentic. The vape shop that I go to is great, and I don't blame them for this happening.

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
How old was the VTC5? If it was a recent purchase it was likely a counterfeit cell and there is no telling what it really was.

edit: nevermind, I posted before your last comment regarding the authenticity of the battery. You verified it was a genuine battery or your vape shop told you it was a genuine battery?

TorontoOntario

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2014
Canada
See, I didn't know I just know my girl has been using mechs her whole career, she's actually what got me to become a more "high end" vaper if you will. I do know though at least (like you said) the battery should always be cool to touch however maybe the outside of the mech will get a bit warm but never "hot."
I don't claim to be an expert on mechs I am actually not even remotely close to that lol. I like my regulated high wattage boxes, I don't see the need for a mech now n days but to each there own, if you use a 650mah ego and 510 atty I am happy for you lol.

PLEASE DO NOT RIDE THE STREETCAR WITH YOUR MECH ANYMORE. Now everytime I get on the damn street car I have to worry about exploding mechs lol.

Ok well I have been vapeing for three years and I have probally been to 95% of shops in the GTA, never seen a VTC5 only 4s at one of them. Name the shop and I shall tell you if its good because sorry a lot of them aren't. I personally saw three days ago a shop selling fake VTC5s. They looked so bootleg it was unreal and he kicked me out when I was trying to snap some photos of the batteries to blast said shop on ecf. It doesn't help me that you were shaking like a leaf, couldn't care less. The fact that you had a mech actually explode really worrys me, the fact that I could have been on that street car with my nephew worrys me more. Just use a regulated device if you don't care to learn the ins and outs of batterys and so forth.

Last edited:

caferacer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2015
Los Angeles
And had the street car not stopped in time? But hey .... happens right?

Having said that what kind of vape shop gives out free mechs for blowing one up? Sounds kind of fishy to me at the very least.

Sounds like good customer service to me...

Glad to hear you're OK, OP. Definitely a scary situation. Do you have any photos of your faulty mech?

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
Sounds like good customer service to me...

Glad to hear you're OK, OP. Definitely a scary situation. Do you have any photos of your faulty mech?

Mmmmkay, go into any vape shop and buy a mech, then ask if they will replace it if you vent a battery in it and it explodes. Please do video their reaction it will be funny. :thumb:

Kevin littell

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Covington Ga

First off, Mechs have no safety built into them so its up to the operator.

The ONLY heat that should be felt at all should be coming from the topper not the MOD.

Stingrays usually have a spring loaded top pin.....they short and corrode. Not good.

I only buy Mech's with a solid top pin and a lock ring. I love my Nemesis' Caravellas and will buy a Ragnorak this payday.

Common factors on all of these mods is a solid adjustable top pin. No springs. I personally don't like direct connect top caps...Most of my toppers are the Finest Chinese Machining the lowest bidder will provide.

I inspect my batteries every time I change them as well as wipe down the threads and clean the top and bottom pin. It takes 5 minutes.

Had that mod gone critical in his pocket he would have been happy to only have third degree burns on his LEG.

Alittle maintenance goes a long way.

Heat is a valid troubleshooting aid and a good reason to pull a battery out of a mod and stop use till the source is found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread