Mini-pipe, Second Impression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Ok... it's day two. The honeymoon isn't over, but the mother-in-law is tagging along.

I really like the mini-pipe. But I really want to love it more.

I have no issues with it's vapor, throat hit, form, or functionality. I don't think the shortcomings are part of the pipe itself.

It's got more to do with the batteries. reviews I saw prior to purchasing were making claims like "screwdriver contender if not killer" and "six to eight hours on a battery." If the Screwdriver performs like this, I want to cancel my order now... but I don't think it does.

On a completely charged battery, I managed 4-5 hours. Hey, that's pretty good, right? Better than a 901... but hell, about the same as my pen. And here's the kicker: It takes longer than that to recharge the spare battery. Without fail, the battery in my pipe is dead before the one in my charger is green. The answer, you might say, is to have two spare batteries... but I say 'only if you have two chargers.' You pretty much would need to keep three in rotation.

Where can you get this type of charger? Probably in the same mythical place that you can buy extra batteries. Better yet, is there a speed charger available for this type of battery?

My last gripe (for now): I'm not sure if all reviews claim this, but one popular reviewer (who has lately become suspect) stated in his review that there is no cutoff on these... and that you could drag forever. He must have some pretty pathetic lung power. Maybe it's all the time I spent in hospitals sucking on one of those lung capacity thingies, but I reach cutoff every single time around 6 seconds, or just when I'm getting a good lung full. (I was going to put a comment here that was filled with innuendo about stopping just sort of satisfaction, but decided against it. Use your imagination.) It's not a deal breaker, but it was a disappointment.

Overall, it's still number one until I get my e-cigar and Screwdriver delivered. But then, it has to be. It seems that all three of my 901 atomizers all of a sudden don't work (and are being warranty replaced) and conversely, my pen-style batteries decided to go on strike (also being warranty replaced)... so unless I can MacGuyver a way into using an 801 atomizer on a 901 battery, I'm screwed into sucking on partial mini-pipe batteries until a solution comes along.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

ted26

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2008
uk england
I use this charger with a metal spacer as they dont fit properly (2 hrs charge time), when taking a drag just hold off slightly to reset the timer and then drag again while shes still red hot :p

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1251

And battery life depends on how much you vape and all i have found is that they hold recharge well unlike the penstyle, mine are as good as the day i got em (3 weeks).

4 hours is pretty good in this game.

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK
so unless I can MacGuyver a way into using an 801 atomizer on a 901 battery, I'm screwed into sucking on partial mini-pipe batteries until a solution comes along.

drum roll...tadaaa

11.jpg

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
I use this charger with a metal spacer as they dont fit properly (2 hrs charge time), when taking a drag just hold off slightly to reset the timer and then drag again while shes still red hot :p

DealExtreme: $12.46 UltraFire 3.6/3.7V Battery Charger

And battery life depends on how much you vape and all i have found is that they hold recharge well unlike the penstyle, mine are as good as the day i got em (3 weeks).

4 hours is pretty good in this game.

Thanks! Looks good, what are you using for a spacer?

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
I brought another battery charger and four batteries..you really do need to have the ability to charge more than one battery at the same time otherwise you can easily end up with no batteries charged...I think the mini pipe is great but I still have issues with atomizers not producing ton's of vapour for for very long for me....and all I can say is that I must be doing 'something' different to all the people who have atomizers that last for months ....but I have yet to work out what exactly it is.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Pete are you overfilling your carts? I have noticed that the pipe vapes like crazy when you got the right amount of liquid. If you drip or over fill the cart...it chokes the atomizer. It seems to me the atomizer on this run much cooler that other 801 atomizers. So when filling I use a needle....fill the cart all the way up...then any liquid on top that is extra I soak away with a tissue. The way I fill it...the end result looks like a factory pre-filled cart.

Walrus....you really need an extra charger. I go through 5-6 batteries a day. I always have one in the chamber and one spare one on me at all times. I thought I vaped heavy but you hit the cut off every time...wow that is hard core. What Ted said about how to smoke it... is the way to go.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Hey edo... I have no problems at all for a few days with a 'new' atomizer but for some reason after that the performance drops dramatically and I keep trying every method I read about or can think of to get them to work like new again but so far nothing has really succeeded. At the moment I feel baffled how so many people seem to manage to get months out of an atomizer.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Oh...sorry Pete...misunderstood your post. If by a few days you mean 7-10 days...I have the same problem... mine work great for a week or so then they start to die off. So now I am rotating them and letting them drain over night. I am hoping that makes a difference. I have also resurrected some atomizers using the coke method.
I don't think you can make these things last much longer than a month. They run pretty cool....probably that makes for the great vape and taste....but it causes them to build crud on the atomizer wire.

franklyspeaking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Arlington, Texas
www.pharceapp.com
Went through two epipes both were DOA. Returned them and got more 901s. Just figured it was a sign from the ecig gods... I hope you have better luck. Have you tried looking at DealExtreme for backup batts and chargers?
DealExtreme: Search for charger (200 products in 36 categories)
I started looking through the results of the search and it gave me tired head so I just posted the link....

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Pete...do you have this problem with other ecigs or just the lady pipe? I have pilot which i don;t use anymore....the atomizers on those seem to last much longer but the vape is never as good as the minipipe.

Franklyspeaking....my new lady pipe was DOA as well. Then I noticed the pipe atomizer fit so tight on the switch....that there was no air intake. I made notches on the atomizer band and I have been smoking on them ever since......with no problem.

franklyspeaking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Arlington, Texas
www.pharceapp.com
Franklyspeaking....my new lady pipe was DOA as well. Then I noticed the pipe atomizer fit so tight on the switch....that there was no air intake. I made notches on the atomizer band and I have been smoking on them ever since......with no problem.

Hmm. That makes sense. Well maybe I shouldn't have been so quick to shake my fist towards the heavens and shout "Why! Why hast thou forsaken my E-Pipe!". I should have just gotten a file. Maybe I will give them a third shot then.... :)

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Franklyspeaking....when my pipe arrived...instead of trying the original atomizer...I used an 801 atomizers on it first and it worked fine ...I put on the original atomizer and it wouldn't work. So, I was lucky I used the 801 atomizer on it first or else I would have thought the unit was bad. Then I figured out what was the problem...little to no airflow.

Kitabz

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
UK
Thanks! Looks good, what are you using for a spacer?

Might be better with this one since it'll work with your screwdriver batteries too:
DealExtreme: $5.16 Digital CR123A Battery AC Charger
And might as well order some of these while you're at it:
DealExtreme: $6.92 SpiderFire LC-16340 3.6V 880mAh Rechargeable Lithium Batteries (4-Pack)

Not wishing to get dragged into the whole Parked argument, but it was the comment about the battery life (being ~equal to the SD) that made me very doubtful about that whole review. That's all I'm going to say about it.

Last edited:

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
I did have had the same problem with atomizers on the evo ...I have wondered if it could be the juice but I have stuck to janty juice for a little while now and still the atomizers soon loose their power. I can't see how I could possibly be vaping in a way that could be causing it..I use the 'average' amount of juice a day so I am not vaping excessively. It's frustrating when most people seem to report atomizers working for well over a month and still pumping out masses of vapour and that isn't my experience at all.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Pete...I sincerely believe I killed my first couple of atomizers very fast because I was just using them non stop without rotating them and letting them drain. I really am hoping that by rotating them....I will get a week or so more out of each atomizer. I just don't think these atomizers will last longer, on average, than a couple of weeks per atomizer. I just don't see vaping for three months on one of these.

Now if you have been rotating them and you don't vape like a fiend...like me.......maybe it is the carts. I have some carts that are very heavily packed and some are very lightly packed. The heavily packed carts are the janty carts that I have....the material can be taken out with tweezers. The lightly packed carts...the material is glued to the bottom of the cart. SO you can't take the material out. I find with the Janty carts the atomizer dries out much quicker. Let me know if this makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread