Status
Not open for further replies.

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
How do you folks "see" arcing? I've always used Noalox and lately Deoxit Gold but I haven't been religous about it or anything. I've never been able to see any arcing in that tiny slot between the battery and the positive contact but that doesn't mean its not happening. I also have never seen any burned spots on my positive contacts--even the old silver ones that I swapped out and saved for emergencies.
Does that mean that I'm doing it right?

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
If you have the upgraded contacts (gold colored) use Deoxit Gold, if you have the old contacts (silver colored) the Noalox is fine. My guess would be at around .4Ω, once a week would be prudent, but someone that vapes that low a resistance may be able to give you a better idea. I vape at .6Ω, but find that once a month seems just fine with the upgraded contacts. The older contacts will need maintenance more often than the newer ones (and yes, Robert has a parts "kit" you can use to upgrade the contacts yourself if you're "handy" with such things). There's several videos out there on how to do it, like this one, by Superxdrifter.

sjoat

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2011
Earth
A white pen eraser works great on contacts. There is enough abrasion there to remove any residue without damaging your contacts. Do this to your positive contact and the top of your batteries followed by a Q-tip with alcohol . Apply Noalox or Deoxit to your positive contact. I never run my mod without using Noalox or Deoxit and I never have problems. Because I never run my mod without Noalox or Deoxit I have never had to clean my contacts with anything more then a Q-tip with some alcohol.

(howdy)

What kind of alcohol do you use? Or is generally used for cleaning stuff. I'm seeing so many different kinds at this local chemical place - no idea which would be most suited

And by eraser do you mean something like http://i.imgur.com/fJlh4qa.jpg?

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
This type or the one attached to a pencil shaped ink pen
ink eraser.jpg

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
(howdy)

What kind of alcohol do you use? Or is generally used for cleaning stuff. I'm seeing so many different kinds at this local chemical place - no idea which would be most suited

That's exactly the one, they have no abrasive grit in them.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
(howdy)

You want isopropyl alcohol 99% if you can find it but 91% is also fine. Leaves no residue. can find it in a pharmacy area in a grocery store or drug store. Comes in different strengths but grab 99% if you can find it.. I've been cleaning my electronics/contacts with it for decades!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread