eGo 1000mAh charging time with USB charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiffRocko

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
I keep reading about super fast charging times with the USB eGo charger, but my batteries are taking forever to charge, upwards of 5-7 hours, and it seems they're lasting less with each charge too. I just got them a few days ago so they've only been through three or four charge cycles each.

The only thing I can think I may be doing differently from others is charging directly off a USB port. I bought everything in pieces instead of getting a starter kit, and I haven't picked up a wall adapter yet.

Have others experienced this with the megas? Did I just get a couple of bum batteries? Am I doing something terribly wrong?

Moshmarr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2010
Minneapolis
That is strange, given how new they are, it does make me think of bad batteries offhand, but it could be a faulty usb charger as well. It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong.

Try charging one of the megaego batts in a regular 510 usb charger if you have one, it will work, but take even longer. If they hold a charge better than with your ego charger, that may be the problem. I have the same batteries, charge them only on usb, and they never take more than 4 hours, in my experience. Somethin's up, for sure. At least they're pretty new, so you can exchange them, worst case scenario.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
5 - 7 hours (average that to 6 hours) is charging at 250mAh. Check the specs (output current) on your charger and see what it says.

All 3 of my universal USB chargers say an output current of 0.15A (150mAh). That's going to take a long time to charge a 1000mAh battery.

All I know is that this is what I'm supposed to have...

eGo Fast Charger Cable

... and it does not charge a fully drained battery in 3 hours. More like 6.

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I have one that looks just like that and it says the output is 0.2A (200mAh). If yours is the same it will take a bit over 5 hours to charge a 1000mAh battery.

As I said, look on the charger and see what the output current is. To charge in 2 hours like the site says the output will have to be 0.5A (500mAh) or more.

The USB port you have the charger plugged into can make a difference, too. If the USB port won't supply what the charger needs it will only supply what it's capable of, and that varies between computers.

If you're using an AC Adapter/Charger, make sure it's output is rated at 500mAh or more.

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I checked the Charger I have. It say that the output is 420mh.

Of course, stickers can be printed for about .003 cents a piece. I have a multi meter but am not sure if it will check things that small. It isn't a very good meter.
That should charge the battery in about 2-1/2 to 3 hours assuming a fully discharged battery.

Checking current is a bit more complex than checking voltage. You'll have to make a "jig" so you can put the DMM in series with the battery and charger. Not an easy thing to do with all the specialized connectors e-cigs use without buying a couple of DIY connectors.

Just "assume" the label is correct for now.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Good Deal....

I think on my next order I'm going to pick up another charger as a back up. I'll be curiuos to see if they both take the same amount of time.

You know that they have even Bigger eGo batteries now?

TORNADO E-NIC- MEGA 1000mAh Manual Batteries.

Comes in both Manual AND Automatic. if you get 12 hours out of a reg eGo you should get about 18 out of one of these Monsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread