Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
Just make the spot big enough to be universal for whatever chip someone wants to use... or just buy the newest model reo later to fit it hehe

It's not just the chip, the new DNA200 will require a 3s Lipo pack, as in 3 cells or possibly 3 very good rated 18650 batteries.

Reactions: ed101z

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
If we're gonna go big, then lets go big.
  • 2020 Reo Grand with Water Cooling chips and electronic boards.
  • 500 watts of power; Holds 5 18650 for a combined 150 amps.
  • Handles the Spider RBA that produces the incredible Spider Leg coils. (Yes, that's 8 coils)

View attachment 464559

:D

You'll need a lot of juice....

Backpack-.jpg

TheBikeGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2014
Dry Ridge, Kentucky, USA
To each his own I guess. I thought the upgraded contacts and 510 pretty much cleared up all the weaknesses the Grand had. I don't sub ohm, so to me the biggest improvement in the contacts was simply the design improvement in the top contact. It never misfires now. The new 510 is just more durable. I vape purely for flavor and self satisfaction, so I see an atomizer over 14 or 15mm as a waste of juice and battery life. I fill the bottle and change the battery in my Grand once everyday when I get up and I can wash it in the sink. I don't really see how you can improve on that.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
To each his own I guess. I thought the upgraded contacts and 510 pretty much cleared up all the weaknesses the Grand had. I don't sub ohm, so to me the biggest improvement in the contacts was simply the design improvement in the top contact. It never misfires now. The new 510 is just more durable. I vape purely for flavor and self satisfaction, so I see an atomizer over 14 or 15mm as a waste of juice and battery life. I fill the bottle and change the battery in my Grand once everyday when I get up and I can wash it in the sink. I don't really see how you can improve on that.

I guess you won't know till you try a larger atty.. the newer crowd will never know how good you have it either.

Most people want the latest and greatest.

Ant nothing wrong with designing a new reo.. the reo was designed around a 510 atty that most don't use anymore while new bottom fed mods are made today with new attys in mind.

TheBikeGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2014
Dry Ridge, Kentucky, USA
From my own personal experience, a bigger volume atty just means you have to put more juice, air and power to get the same flavor as you had with the small atty, because you have more volume to fill. I totally realize if I wanted bigger clouds I would need more volume. Like I said to each his own. I just don't see less durable, less dependable and less efficient as and improvement.

If Rob wants to design a new Reo, cool. I just hate to see him get sucked into biggest, most powerful game. You can never keep up with the Jones' more than a couple of weeks. Someone will always come out with bigger and more powerful.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
I guess you won't know till you try a larger atty.. the newer crowd will never know how good you have it either.

Ant nothing wrong with designing a new reo.. the reo was designed around a 510 atty that most don't use anymore while new bottom fed mods are made today with new attys in mind.

You do realize the bigger, cloud chasing, more power vapors are 10% or less of the vaping market. What you see and hear on ECF is not representative of the total vaping market. The vast majority of vapers don't care about more power, the latest and greatest, or clouds. They just want to vape to not smoke. And they want it as simple and easy as possible.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California

Actually the 1st REO was 306/801 with adapters for 901 and 510 attys. :laugh:

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
From my own personal experience, a bigger volume atty just means you have to put more juice, air and power to get the same flavor as you had with the small atty, because you have more volume to fill. I totally realize if I wanted bigger clouds I would need more volume. Like I said to each his own. I just don't see less durable, less dependable and less efficient as and improvement.

If Rob wants to design a new Reo, cool. I just hate to see him get sucked into biggest, most powerful game. You can never keep up with the Jones' more than a couple of weeks. Someone will always come out with bigger and more powerful.

The I guess a derringer is not a large atty cause I've been using the same build in them as I do with the cyclone.. well the hornet and era was only used in single coil and ran that with 2ohm coil at 5v in the vv reo.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I guess what these guys are saying is that the current reo is fine. Don't change it. Continue selling them till there's no one buying anymore cause everyone else is gawking the new sexy models next door and forget about a chipped reo.. cause the newbies only want cheap.. and if cheap plastic for $25-30 I'd all they will buy then we can't compete with china.

Close the shop after a year and call reo something of the past!

Seriously? Come on guys! Reo I think needs to thrive alot longer then that!

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
I guess what these guys are saying is that the current reo is fine. Don't change it. Continue selling them till there's no one buying anymore cause everyone else is gawking the new sexy models next door and forget about a chipped reo.. cause the newbies only want cheap.. and if cheap plastic for $25-30 I'd all they will buy then we can't compete with china.

Close the shop after a year and call reo something of the past!

Seriously? Come on guys! Reo I think needs to thrive alot longer then that!

And Reo has and will continue to be around a lot longer than that. Rob innovates and changes things constantly and by all indications will continue to do so. He has made it abundantly clear he will not make another regulated device because it created more problems than it solved. He may choose to make a DIY model, but with the quickly changing regulated market even that could prove challenging. Remember he is basically a one man show, so by the time he designs something for the latest chip the next great thing is already hitting the market making old designs obsolete quickly.

But feel free to keep beating this dead horse. lol

TheBikeGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2014
Dry Ridge, Kentucky, USA
If he does design something different, I hope he can add something of his own. I'll admit I didn't really like the look of the catch cup at first, but it grows on you. If he cuts the catch cup flush it will look like just another box mod.

It's all subjective. I had a DNA 30. I liked the consistency of the vape, like using a kick. I played around with the wattage for about a week and usually wound up back on the lowest setting to get the best tasting vape. It just seemed pointless to me. I used it to dry burn coils for a long time before I got rid of it. Granted, I probably should have tried other juice and atomizers, but I was pretty happy with the flavor I was getting with a mech, so I saw no reason to invest more into it. I will probably always use a mech. When I carried the DNA, I carried a mech as backup. I never trusted it. There is very little that can go wrong with a mech that you can't fix with a paper towel.

I will usually drop a coil just going from an ERA to an RM2 to get it to taste the same to me.

Yes, I prefer a manual transmission. I like the control and I don't see the point wasting gas just so I don't have to move my arm.

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
Unicorns and rainbows folks no need for anyone to get red in the face . There is always room for improvement I always tried to improve the mods and I will continue to do so . As far as centering the 510 in a woodvil its set up to line up with the feed system it kinda has to be that way or it would cause problem with the bottle .

The goal has always been to keep the mods as small as possible in the past it seems that is changing because of the 40 pound atomizers .
I will be making a mod that will accommodate these type of atomizers the top of the mod will be flat even though it wont look like a reo anymore kinda bums me out I love the look of the reo design .

I could put out a new mod every three weeks and people would still want more its just the way it is . Ether I keep the dust off my shoes or sink into the abyss .

I can never make everyone happy I accepted that some time ago . If I can make most of them happy I am cool with that . Enjoy the day :)

Great post Rob! I would have never thought that a REO would be my "go to" device but after a few months of use it has. One thing that can't be ignored is how freaking simple this mod is..... If it is dirty, throw it in bath of soapy water and rinse. If it isn't firing well, clean the contact points and you are back up and running. Worried about build up in the juice areas, not with a stainless steel 510 that is simple to adjust. The REO is a home run in my books.

This is coming from an OCD freak that wouldn't buy stuff unless it fit perfectly with no seams or gaps. I now have ZERO problems carrying my SL/LP's with a 22mm atty because it JUST WORKS WELL ;)

My next prized mod is a resin REO and can't wait.

Keep doing what you are doing Rob, with all the high tech craziness of vaping the "KISS" approach is always welcome.

Schlafloser

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Düsseldorf, Germany
in the last 3 1/2 years I tried lots of squonkers from over the world... Mechanical ones.. regulated ones.. wooden, metal and plastic ones. They're all gone. Except for my Reos

It doesnt matter if there is a catchcup or a chip inside... a Reo is a Reo. Ist not only the mod... its the man behind and its the worldwide community that makes this mod so unique

My next one would be a clear Resin Reo... and if you come out with a Reo without CC, a 26650er one or a tube Reo ^^, so what.. i would buy that thing too :)

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
Even IF a DNA board and electronics is introduced to a REO, wouldn’t battery power still pose a problem for many folks? Wouldn’t you notice a decline in power at a certain point? Most chips have an automatic shut off once battery voltage drops to 3.2. Some chips go lower than that. And of course, most new vapers, and experienced alike will vape down to that point of shut off. I did when I used a Vamo device that used VV and VW. The difference at 3.7v was every noticeable as well. It got weaker and weaker until it shut off. You could not build below 1.3 ohms either. Just thought I’d point this experience out.

I did go to Evolv’s website. You can read more about the DNA 25, DNA 30, DNA 40, The KICK, and KICK II. When reading the New Evolv DNA 40 Specifications Datasheet, I noticed something interesting. From what I am reading, it sounds more like a regulation of your vaping style IF you ask me. You folks doing .5 dual coil sub-ohming will most likely have some problems due to a “Temperature Protection” feature…, which is copied & pasted below from the Datasheet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
""Temperature Protection
The DNA 40 is the first power supply for electronic cigarettes to directly measure and limit the temperature of the heating coil during operation. By preventing the coil from becoming too hot regardless of fluid, wicking or airflow, a variety of undesirable situations can be prevented.For example,appropriate temperature settings will prevent the wicking material from charring, which compromise staste and introduces unintended chemicals into the vapor. Appropriate temperature settings will also reduce the breakdown of flavoring and base liquid components, which could impact taste or safety.

Evolv’s Temperature Protection Technology requires a heating coil made from Nickel 200 alloy,rather than Nickel Chromium or Kanthal alloys. Nickel 200 is commercially pure nickel.It is often sold in vapor shops and online as “non-resistance wire.” If the temperature reaches the maximum value, the wattage applied to the atomizer coil is reduced to prevent overheating. Please note that the temperature reading is the average temperature of the atomizer coil, and care should be taken to construct the heating coil so that the temperature is uniform, without hot or cold spots. Ensure that the coil does not short to itself.

Because wattage, not temperature controls vapor volume, large vapor volumes can be produced without unnecessarily high temperatures. Temperature Protection is most helpful if the atomizer begins to dry out, the user pauses during a puff, the beginning or end of the puff, or if the wattage setting is inappropriate for the attached atomizer.

In normal operation, when the device is not firing the maximum temperature setting is displayed on the screen. When the device is firing, the actual average temperature of the coil is displayed on the screen.""

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm figuring there are a lot of limits on the DNA chips, and IF that is what you're wanting..., then by all means -- go ahead and influence a DNA device. You've heard that ole' saying before ...,
"Be careful of what you wish for. You just might get it! And when you do..., you may regret it!"

The Reo Grand is a Mechanical Mod WILD HORSE with NO LIMITS! There IS an Advantage to that. We should be encouraging EVERYONE to get Reo Grand's (and ditch DNA Chips) BECAUSE it is a Mechanical Mod that's Unregulated, and the sky is the limit to whatever your build eventually becomes.

So far, I'm just happy with a single coil on the RM2, yet like the fact that I can take it to bigger atties, and dual coils IF I desire. But I doubt it. After smoking for 30 years, I get plenty of Nicotine, Vapor, and Throat Hit from just a single, 1.2ohm coil using CelluCotton.

If there ever is a day Rob decides to put a "chip" in a Reo Grand again,... then all I ask for is something that tells the Resistance of the atty, and displays the Battery voltage remaining. That's it! That's the only true helpful thing that we would benefit from; but however, I would not want that at the expense of using it as a Mechanical Mod.

Last edited:

Fishcakes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
nj
Honestly guys, i cant think of a way to make the reo grand any better. I love looks, catch cup and all. Makes it stand out so its not confused as just another box.

The damn things work every time i press the button, and the only way its gonna break is if I funk it up. You keep doing what youre doing rob. You dont have such a loyal following for no reason. I owe you alot more than i can ever possibly express. Dont fall for the next best thing craze. Theres a reason people still use old school stuff. BECAUSE IT WORKS. When i thing of a reo, i think of ridgid pipe wrenches, crescent wrenches, and the way craftman tools used to be. Dependable tools that will keep on working long after i will.

The reo grand is a classic. And im damn proud to support a device so dependable and with such an awesome creator.

And please rob, dont forget to take a break once and awhile bro. You deserve it, and a good majority of us arent going anywhere but to you for mods.

Just my :2c:

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Sounds like to keep the reo look rob should be thinking a catch cup like base fit for a 22mm rba. Like a pedistal but rounded so it's a flush fit. Prob won't have to make the mod any bigger but maybe a midge here or there to make it look right.

Too bad you couldn't just make a mod like the shape of

R
E
O

HAHA.. O would be the squank hole. The leg on r would be the trigger.

Joules_Verne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
SW France
Below is an example of a review request that I routinely turn down. This is the first one today. I've already responded with a kind "no thank you"

Now here's bob with the weather :)

and for 25yrs I've been living next door to Alice, Alice?? who the F is Alice?
don't know if that song made it across the pond from Holland in the '90s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread