Not open for further replies.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
You'll need to redo your bookmarks. While it's easy enough to set the redirects back to the original thread, the way actual posts are tracked with the new software makes it impossible to redirect back to a specific post.

oh no! I was afraid this was going to be the final outcome. :mad: I don't think there's a feasible way to 'recreate them' since all the book marks just go to the 1st post of the thread. No way of knowing what page yet alone what post they're supposed to go to.

There goes the hundreds of annotated/searchable book marks I've collected in a document over the last few years.

I guess there's no way to decipher a post# from the 'old' saved link to a particular post. This is 'supposed' to go to post#52 of the thread. (for some of my bookmarked posts, I annotated w/ the post# so luckily I know where it should be going)

Plain:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/542055-mike-n-tibs-dna-mods-6.html#post12622017
Active:
Mike n Tibs DNA Mods! | E-Cigarette Forum

but it redirects to this - 1st post of the thread

Plain:
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/mike-n-tibs-dna-mods.542055/
Active:

Edit: Thanks for the answer at least I know not to wait for it to work again.

Reactions: Debadoo

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
oh no! I was afraid this was going to be the final outcome. :mad: I don't think there's a feasible way to 'recreate them' since all the book marks just go to the 1st post of the thread. No way of knowing what page yet alone what post they're supposed to go to.

There goes the hundreds of annotated/searchable book marks I've collected in a document over the last few years.

I guess there's no way to decipher a post# from the 'old' saved link to a particular post. This is 'supposed' to go to post#52 of the thread. (for some of my bookmarked posts, I annotated w/ the post# so luckily I know where it should be going)

Plain:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/542055-mike-n-tibs-dna-mods-6.html#post12622017
Active:

but it redirects to this - 1st post of the thread

Plain:
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/mike-n-tibs-dna-mods.542055/
Active:

Edit: Thanks for the answer at least I know not to wait for it to work again.

So, this is the post you were looking for?
Mike n Tibs DNA Mods! | Page 3 | E-Cigarette Forum

Pretty useless if you are looking for tens or hundreds of posts, but I found that post in about 20 or 30 seconds from the old link you gave. You've got the old page number in the link. Page 6 in the old link means page 3 now. (20 posts per page.) That gets you pretty close.

Last edited:

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
So, this is the post you were looking for?
Mike n Tibs DNA Mods! | Page 3 | E-Cigarette Forum

Pretty useless if you are looking for tens or hundreds of posts, but I found that post in about 20 or 30 seconds from the old link you gave. You've got the old page number in the link. Page 6 in the old link means page 3 now. (20 posts per page.) That gets you pretty close.

Thats helpful to get to the 'desired' page. But I wonder if the page# in the old link is related to the posts per page setting in the old ECF when the bookmark was created? And if I hadn't saved the post# w/ the bookmark it would still be cumbersome to find the post in question. Hey - it is what it is - thanks for offering your tip.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I feel your pain Mike......with this and another issue. Wish I'd gone through everything ahead of time to save stuff better, but it was believed it would all transfer. I know I shouldn't have trusted it, cuz things happen, but still holding out hope that a fix can be found for the other stuff that was lost, that's super important!!

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
We've lost some stories and writings from members who have passed with a social forum as well, and were assured that these would carry over because I asked specifically about that. These are things that are devastating to lose, and really hope that an extra mile or so can be walked to see about getting these back.

.................... ;) originally posted in forum issues aka problems

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I know you've been talking with someone else about this. But we had a mature vapers forum that had writings from folks that have since passed on. My understanding is that we were pretty much assured, that these would transfer, that they wouldn't be lost. I know that no one can foresee every single thing that can happen, but they've got to still be out there in cyber space somewhere. We can take this to pm if you'd like, but I know someone who I think you've talked to that is very knowledgeable about how these things work, you know I'm not, but he's certain he could get them back if he had access. Even if it meant doing each thing one by one. These writings mean a lot to us. yeah we should have tried to find some other way to save them, but I was assured they wouldn't be lost, and that y'all understood how important they were and that it was super important to y'all too that all posts would be transferred

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Even if it can't be imported, can it be seen?? Copy and paste and send it to us. I know that is a lot to do, and granted, I shouldn't have trusted, but I asked specifically about this before hand. I know it's there, is there any way to grant someone else some sort of view only access, to copy and paste it at least?

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Really not trying to be a pain, but you said top of page 10 that what was on ECF now (before migration) would be on the new ECF when it went live. I know you believed that, and I believed you. I know you can't necessarily make exceptions, and can't probably do it for all, and we're willing to do the work if there is any way we can, but if there is any way possible at all, I don't want to lose this stuff, and I'm just not willing to give up yet. Persistence has paid off before, perhaps it could with this.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Really not trying to be a pain, but you said top of page 10 that what was on ECF now (before migration) would be on the new ECF when it went live. I know you believed that, and I believed you. I know you can't necessarily make exceptions, and can't probably do it for all, and we're willing to do the work if there is any way we can, but if there is any way possible at all, I don't want to lose this stuff, and I'm just not willing to give up yet. Persistence has paid off before, perhaps it could with this.

OH NO! Just realized what you're talking about being missing Deb. I didn't realize those were gone. That's truly sad to have lost those. Dang-it-all!

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
OH NO! Just realized what you're talking about being missing Deb. I didn't realize those were gone. That's truly sad to have lost those. Dang-it-all!
Still really really hoping something can be done. It might be in vain, but a girl can hope, not ready to give up completely yet. It means too much to us!

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas

And at the time, while we had every reason to believe the information would import correctly, it just isn't the case. Sorry.

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Might want to look and see if some of what you are looking for is here.
Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine
Hope it helps.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.

I know I shouldn't have trusted it, cuz things happen, but still holding out hope that a fix can be found for the other stuff that was lost

About 10 years ago 4 youngins broke into my "dream house" to burglarize it. Then they came up with the idea that if they'd start a fire they could "hide their tracks".

Since the house was rather isolated...by the time the Fire Department got there it had completely burned to the ground (with everything in it).

I DID get "over it". (I mean...that was the only option I could think of.)

I found the "ratio" to be about 1:9. Out of every 10 "things" I had lost...1 was "irreplaceable" and would really be missed...9 were wanted (but not needed) and easily replaced (if I even wanted to).

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
About 10 years ago 4 youngins broke into my "dream house" to burglarize it. Then they came up with the idea that if they'd start a fire they could "hide their tracks".

Since the house was rather isolated...by the time the Fire Department got there it had completely burned to the ground (with everything in it).

I DID get "over it". (I mean...that was the only option I could think of.)

I found the "ratio" to be about 1:9. Out of every 10 "things" I had lost...1 was "irreplaceable" and would really be missed...9 were wanted (but not needed) and easily replaced (if I even wanted to).
How do you know they were 4? Did the guys got caught?

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

Reactions: gerrymi

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
It's no longer an issue for this thread, but I am so sorry that happened to you, and yeah, I've lost either everything or nearly everything a few times, you do get over it, cuz you have no choice. But it is the sentimental stuff that hurts the worst, and that's what we're most concerned about. Writings from dear friends who have passed on. Thanks though, you're correct and that's always a good reminder.

Reactions: gerrymi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread