Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I've been wanting to start a thread specifically for talk of RDAs (flavor-chasing, cloud-makers or whatever). We can talk about trends (both good and bad), what we'd like to see and what we no longer want to see. What works for you and what doesn't. We can debate, but it has to remain respectful becasue we will not always agree.

Also, I want this to be a general thread for posts of new RDAs that others may not know about. If you just want to post a pic with some specs and where to find it, that is cool. If you got a new atty that you want to show off, that's cool too. Want to review an atty? Go for it. Questions? Ask.

A few things for this thread:
  • This thread is not for clones (no judgement, I just don't want to talk about them -- too many variables.)
  • High-end, low-end or middle-of-the-road RDAs. It doesn't matter. Just as long as they're original-manufacturer RDAs (and preferably new-ish or new).
  • No arguing over who stole what or what is a too much like another atty.
  • When it's appropriate, please provide links to what you are talking about.
  • In general, let's keep it amicable.

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Lately been enjoying the Stumpy with a twisted center coil, idea stolen from SXDrifter

Like the Marquis, Manta, Derringer, Vector. Have several of each for different juice. The Vector is low on the totem-pole, with the spit in the face air design.

I got a Manta v2, but what I love about The Stumpy's two-post deck is it seems they're spaced absolutely perfect for myriad coil configurations. I know why the Manta v2 has it's spacing the way it does, but The Stumpy is just so versatile!!!

Reactions: inspects

jhhollier

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2014
Good idea to start this thread. The RTA forum has its own version and it is a great catchall thread though it tends to focus on high end attys. I like that you want this to be more all inclusive.

I'm most looking forward to the new version of the Derringer. There's no info about it that I can find but I'm hoping that Praxis makes some innovations to the design rather than just, say, make it a two post atty while everything remains the same.
I would like to see the three post RDA go bye bye. Two post or split center posts are far better IMO. Two posts give almost free reign to put any build you want into an atty whether it's just a spaced Ni200 coil or a big complicated setup. Split center posts just make things easier.

Top airflow is also very nice because it practically eliminates leaking. There's always the concern that the flavor may suffer but some folks don't mind.

Also, please stop putting out attys with no form of AFC or a poor implementation of an AFC (Flawless I'm looking at you with how you designed the Production). I generally run my attys wide open but I like to have the option to close the airflow down if I want to.

In general, finding ways to make Ni200 builds easier to put in an atty and making them as stable as possible. The resurgence of the two post RDA is helping and hopefully more companies use the rounded bottom screws to go a step further.

Oh and make more green RDAs!

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Good idea to start this thread. The RTA forum has its own version and it is a great catchall thread though it tends to focus on high end attys. I like that you want this to be more all inclusive.

I'm most looking forward to the new version of the Derringer. There's no info about it that I can find but I'm hoping that Praxis makes some innovations to the design rather than just, say, make it a two post atty while everything remains the same.
I would like to see the three post RDA go bye bye. Two post or split center posts are far better IMO. Two posts give almost free reign to put any build you want into an atty whether it's just a spaced Ni200 coil or a big complicated setup. Split center posts just make things easier.

Top airflow is also very nice because it practically eliminates leaking. There's always the concern that the flavor may suffer but some folks don't mind.

Also, please stop putting out attys with no form of AFC or a poor implementation of an AFC (Flawless I'm looking at you with how you designed the Production). I generally run my attys wide open but I like to have the option to close the airflow down if I want to.

In general, finding ways to make Ni200 builds easier to put in an atty and making them as stable as possible. The resurgence of the two post RDA is helping and hopefully more companies use the rounded bottom screws to go a step further.

Oh and make more green RDAs!

For sure. I no longer want to see a three-post design. They're easier to make which is why we see them so much, but its' time for them to go buh-bye!

Oh, and stop making these damned atties with no option to use our own drip tip! (Without seeking out some alternative from another mfr). I wish this trend would end!!! At the very least, if they are going to do that, please give us another top-cap option to buy -- but I don't like having to spend extra $$ just to use my drip tip).

jhhollier

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2014
Yeah, it's easy for me to ask Praxis to innovate but not having an ideas of my own. I'd definitely like them to go two post with it but not sure what else I want to see. Some sort of a concave design to the inside of the top Cap? Deeper juice well, I agree there.

Oh another pet peeve (though I may be in the minority: bottom airflow. I know it supposedly equals more/better flavor but it just seems like a pain to me. Maybe find a way to seal off the airflow from juice getting in? Not sure if that's even possible. That's why I never bought a Kennedy and rarely use my MutX V4. You have to be way too careful to really enjoy vaping it. I do use my Magma but for some reason I've never had issues with leaking. The MutX V4 and Freakshow? Big time.

jhhollier

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2014
Oh yeah definitely agree with the hating of being forced to use a top Cap with a proprietary drip tip or chuff top. The Hastur was perfect - use the chuff top or pop in an adapter and use your own drip tip. Same for the MutX V3, El Cabron and I'm sure others I'm forgetting. And speaking of drip tips, if you're going to charge me $100+ for an atty include a drip tip! Yes, I have my own tips but come on. I'd probably buy a Petri for $99 if I got one of those nice friction fit drip tips but I'm not dropping $99 and then another $25 for their drip tip.

Reactions: inspects

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Yeah, it's easy for me to ask Praxis to innovate but not having an ideas of my own. I'd definitely like them to go two post with it but not sure what else I want to see. Some sort of a concave design to the inside of the top Cap? Deeper juice well, I agree there.

Oh another pet peeve (though I may be in the minority: bottom airflow. I know it supposedly equals more/better flavor but it just seems like a pain to me. Maybe find a way to seal off the airflow from juice getting in? Not sure if that's even possible. That's why I never bought a Kennedy and rarely use my MutX V4. You have to be way too careful to really enjoy vaping it. I do use my Magma but for some reason I've never had issues with leaking. The MutX V4 and Freakshow? Big time.

Totally! My opinion here: if they are going to make a bottom-fed airflow design, don't make it so it will leak. A shallow deck and a bottom-fed airflow? Goofy! And honestly, the notion that is the best way to get flavor is like so 2014! LOL

Anyway....

On to some bad news, but kinda good for our wallet: Precisionmachining.com, a.k.a.,
URQUIDEZJ (the maker of the Nahualon), is going out of business. He is liquidating his drip tips for six dollars a pop! (just bought 3 and going to buy more). But for this thread, I wanted to point out that his latest atty, The GOTA Dripper, is now on sale for only $80!!!!!!!!!! That is beyond good for a high-end manufacturer. There are approximately 107 left (and just a few days ago there were like 150). Once these are gone, they will be gone for good. I will be getting mine soon and I am watching the stock like a hawk.

3tbtkkem.jpg

22mm
303 SS
2.7mm air duals AFC
2.7mm single AFC
1.2mm single
Single post designs with optional EZ setup insert.(Included)
Adjustable positive pin
Single or Dual Coil
Made in USA
Apollo Drip Tip (Included)
Spare o-rings included
see pics for more details

jcES0Pdl.jpg

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
Totally! My opinion here: if they are going to make a bottom-fed airflow design, don't make it so it will leak. A shallow deck and a bottom-fed airflow? Goofy! And honestly, the notion that is the best way to get flavor is like so 2014! LOL

Anyway....

On to some bad news, but kinda good for our wallet: Precisionmachining.com, a.k.a.,
URQUIDEZJ (the maker of the Nahualon), is going out of business. He is liquidating his drip tips for six dollars a pop! (just bought 3 and going to buy more). But for this thread, I wanted to point out that his latest atty, The GOTA Dripper, is now on sale for only $80!!!!!!!!!! That is beyond good for a high-end manufacturer. There are approximately 107 left (and just a few days ago there were like 150). Once these are gone, they will be gone for good. I will be getting mine soon and I am watching the stock like a hawk.

3tbtkkem.jpg

22mm
303 SS
2.7mm air duals AFC
2.7mm single AFC
1.2mm single
Single post designs with optional EZ setup insert.(Included)
Adjustable positive pin
Single or Dual Coil
Made in USA
Apollo Drip Tip (Included)
Spare o-rings included
see pics for more details

jcES0Pdl.jpg

Interesting, wish they had a picture straight down the base...pos-neg look awful close.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Interesting, wish they had a picture straight down the base...pos-neg look awful close.

Yeah, he wrote about it. It's basically meant for 24 gauge or thinner and no bigger ID than 3mm; or you can use thicker gauge, but the ID would have to be reduced (but the smaller ID is not accommodated with a coiling rod -- that is strictly for the 3 mm ID). I am thinking I would rock that one in single coil mode. If you got to the site you may see some of the schematic drawings that will give you a better picture (so to speak). It is supposed to be a well crafted flavor chaser, though I am sure it's not an anemic vapor.

Last edited:

jhhollier

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2014
Definitely interesting. I can't find too much info on it as far as impressions about the flavor, etc. It's tempting although I hate building vertical coils. I wonder if a horizontal build would work?

I threw a dual twisted 28g build (.45 ohm) in my Tugboat V2 last night. Ridiculous flavor. Not sure why I didn't try it earlier. The flavor was still ridiculous even with the Anarchist X comp Cap

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Definitely interesting. I can't find too much info on it as far as impressions about the flavor, etc. It's tempting although I hate building vertical coils. I wonder if a horizontal build would work?

I threw a dual twisted 28g build (.45 ohm) in my Tugboat V2 last night. Ridiculous flavor. Not sure why I didn't try it earlier. The flavor was still ridiculous even with the Anarchist X comp Cap

I don't know why I don't have a Tugboat but I have a theory as to why I keep passing it up: I hate logos! A minimalist engraving is cool sometimes, but little characters and such turn me off. Don't know why, but when I see stuff like that on RDAs, I don't even consider them. It feels too much like a toy to me or something. I might have to make an exception for the Tugboat though becasue I don't see anyone say anything bad about it, just praise really.

Reactions: Sune42

jhhollier

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2014
I don't know why I don't have a Tugboat but I have a theory as to why I keep passing it up: I hate logos! A minimalist engraving is cool sometimes, but little characters and such turn me off. Don't know why, but when I see stuff like that on RDAs, I don't even consider them. It feels too much like a toy to me or something. I might have to make an exception for the Tugboat though becasue I don't see anyone say anything bad about it, just praise really.
The Tugboat is soooo worth it. The V2 has AFC while the V1 doesn't. The V1 is a two piece design but the two decks are identical. With one of Flawless' Slammed Caps the flavor just explodes IMO. No AFC when using it but I feel it has just the right amount of airflow. Vapor production is nice as well. The Anarchist X Cap has a Mutation X-like set of airholes on both sides but, again, no AFC. It's okay but I prefer the Slammed Cap.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
The Tugboat is soooo worth it. The V2 has AFC while the V1 doesn't. The V1 is a two piece design but the two decks are identical. With one of Flawless' Slammed Caps the flavor just explodes IMO. No AFC when using it but I feel it has just the right amount of airflow. Vapor production is nice as well. The Anarchist X Cap has a Mutation X-like set of airholes on both sides but, again, no AFC. It's okay but I prefer the Slammed Cap.

All right, I'll put it in my queue.

Reactions: jhhollier

jhhollier

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2014
I'm trying not to order that Gota. I just ordered the Le Magister and the two designs seem very similar though the Le Magister is an RTA. I like the clean, simple look of the Gota but like I said I hate using vertical coils and I have a feeling horizontal coils will be a pain to build on it. I'd imagine the flavor would pretty darn good, though.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I'm trying not to order that Gota. I just ordered the Le Magister and the two designs seem very similar though the Le Magister is an RTA. I like the clean, simple look of the Gota but like I said I hate using vertical coils and I have a feeling horizontal coils will be a pain to build on it. I'd imagine the flavor would pretty darn good, though.

Well, building them isn't the problem, it's the wicking. But, when you get it down (which doesn't take long at all), they can be killer. I fell in love with the performance of verticals from the Veritas (all the way back in April of last year) and then with the Origen v2 and then with the 454 Big Block (but I began using horizontal coils with the 454). Some killer attys use verticals (Marquis, anyone? LOL). But the wicking, yeah it takes some getting used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread