Orbtronic SX30 30A 2100mAh Flat-Top 18650 Bench Test Results...just a 20A cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Tested at 10A-30A constant current. Cells were graciously donated for testing by someone who prefers to remain anonymous. To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Dropbox - orbtronic sx30 flat-top 30a 2100mah 18650 wrap.jpeg

Dropbox - orbtronic sx30 flat-top 30a 2100mah 18650 can.jpeg

Dropbox - orbtronic sx30 flat-top 30a 2100mah 18650 top.jpeg

Dropbox - orbtronic sx30 flat-top 30a 2100mah 18650 bottom.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This is a 20A continuous discharge current (CDR) cell that is damaged when discharged at Orbtronic's rating of 30A.

Test Results
    Dropbox - orbtronic sx30 flat-top 30a 2100mah 18650 constant-current tests.bmp

Comments
    • This is the flat-top version of the button-top SX30 I tested earlier.
    • At 20A the cell had a moderate maximum temperature of 77°C.
    • At 30A the cell reached a max temperature of 100°C, my safety limit. This is way over the temperature any cell should ever be operated at. This is clearly not a 30A cell.
    • After just five additional cycles at 30A there was visible "voltage sag" in the discharge curve and a loss in capacity indicating that damage was being done. A second 10A discharge also shows the loss of capacity and voltage sag that resulted from that damage.
    • This flat-top version of the SX30 cell had slightly higher voltages and slightly longer runtimes than the button-top version, but not by much. I was pleasantly surprised though as I thought the extra resistance from the added-on button-top (through the four spot-welded points) would result in a larger voltage drop. It didn't, the two versions are close enough in performance to not worry. It's only a so-so 20A cell though.
    • Even at 25A, in my opinion, there will be a short cycle life for this cell. The maximum temperature of 89°C is quite high for a cell.
    • Due to the moderate max temperature I think you will get decent cycle life from this cell at 20A.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 28, 2014
    The 3Oh!3, Colorado
    www.youtube.com
    I had a look at your charts Mooch and it definitely looks like it's simply not a VTC4.

Another myth shattered :thumb:

I sent him some of the xtar VTC4 button tops and they performed terribly! Looking to see some Flat Top tests to compare.

@Mooch Once again some very valuable contributions made to this forum. Thank you for your service!

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I had a look at your charts Mooch and it definitely looks like it's simply not a VTC4.

Another myth shattered :thumb:

Absolutely....compare the tops...

VTC4
    image.jpg

SX30
    image.jpg

Reactions: Ryedan
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread