AWT 40A 2600mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...only 20A/2500mAh, might be a 25R2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Tested at 10A-25A constant current. This cell was purchased from RTDVapor and donated for testing. To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Disclaimer
    The conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have selected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Bottom Line
    In my opinion, this is only a 20A continuous discharge current (CDR) cell but it performs about as well as the Samsung 25R. I recommend not using it above 20A though as it runs at a very high temperature at 25A. It might be a Samsung blue 25R (25R2) cell.

Test Results
    image.jpg

Comments
    • At 10A it reached above 2350mAh. This is not good performance for a 2600mAh-rated cell but it's average for a 2500mAh cell.
    • At 15A the maximum temperature reached 66°C. This is too low for a cell operating at its CDR.
    • At 20A the maximum temperature reached 79°C. This is average for a cell operating at its CDR. Its capacity at 20A down to 3.2V almost equals the Samsung 25R, which is very good.
    • At 25A the temperature rose to 96°C, close to my safety limit of 100°C. This is clearly not a 40A cell.
    • No discharges were done at 30A, 35A, or 40A because the cell temperature would have risen above my safety limit of 100°C, significantly increasing the chance of the cell venting or worse.
    • Five additional cycles at 20A showed no signs of damage. Because of this and the maximum temperature of 79°C, I am setting a CDR of 20A for this cell.
    • The markings on the bottom of the cell are very similar to the blue wrap Samsung 25R (25R2). The 25R2 is the only cell I have tested that has these markings. The tooling marks on the can match the 25R2 too.
    • The AWT cell's performance is similar, but a bit lower, than the 25R2. The AWT has a bit lower capacity and runs a few degrees hotter. In my opinion this could be a rewrapped 25R2 though. Perhaps a different grade cell? Just conjecture though.
    • To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out the links in my signature.

Superkyle1721

Verified Member
    Aug 20, 2014
    Starkville
    It amazes my that companies such as this and efest get away with inflating numbers that people use to base their builds off of. I realize that you should do your own homework but I'm sure many don't and that raises a very big concern with me. Sorry for the rant great great article by the way. Big thumbs up from me.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    It amazes my that companies such as this and efest get away with inflating numbers that people use to base their builds off of. I realize that you should do your own homework but I'm sure many don't and that raises a very big concern with me. Sorry for the rant great great article by the way. Big thumbs up from me.

Thanks!

[edited]
    @Superkyle1721, I messed up in replying to you! I thought I was in different thread.
    I totally agree, it's criminal what they're doing!

Last edited:

pnyc

ECF Veteran
    May 14, 2014
    xXx
    I believe you have confused between AWT and AW. AWT is not the same as AW. In fact, the first faked AW batteries I have bought was shipped with AWT boxes which makes me believe AWT was actually a fake AW seller or as least when they first started their business. The AWT name was simply to confuse buyers with AW.

AW Batteries - Authorised Dealers

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I believe you have confused between AWT and AW. AWT is not the same as AW. In fact, the first faked AW batteries I have bought was shipped with AWT boxes which makes me believe AWT was actually a fake AW seller or as least when they first started their business. The AWT name was simply to confuse buyers with AW.

AW Batteries - Authorised Dealers

Thanks, I had gotten my threads confused and thought I was posting in my AW 2200mAh testing thread. :)
    I have edited my earlier post.

Reactions: thetrucker

Froth

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 1, 2014
    Chipotle.
    AWT has a history of using Samsung 25R cells under the wrapper, I've removed close to a dozen AWT battery wrappers and every single one had the three digit stamping on the negative side like Samsung prefers to use. I very much agree with your conclusion, this is likely a Samsung 25R but what grade is entirely unknown to me, my big hangup with re-wrappers is that I fear they are using factory seconds or "B" quality cells to save money.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread