retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
We'll be updating the forum software in the very near future and one of the things you'll notice that's new is a new feature that allows you to set up two factor authentication for your ECF account.

Now... Before we get into the "how", we need to make something perfectly clear. Once you establish 2FA, we're out of the loop if you lock yourself out of your account for any reason. It'll be all on you to take the necessary steps to regain access to your account.

Once we upgrade, you can access the Two-Step Verification settings by mousing over your ID at the top right of the page. You'll see the option in the right column.

pulldown.png

When you click on Two-Step Verification, you'll come to a password page. You will need to provide your current ECF password in order to access the Two-Step Verification options.

Once you've entered your password, you'll be presented with the following:

2fa1.png

You can now select how you want to verify logins. You can do so by using your mobile device, or email account.

For a more detailed explanation for setting this up, read the first post here: XF 1.5 - Two-Step Verification and Security Improvements | XenForo Community

Again, once you set this up, we'll be unable to unlock accounts for you. So make sure this is something you want to activate, and ensure you have your fallback codes security stored away.

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Off topic

Brkdnc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2015
Mad City, WI. USA
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Off topic

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
With today's upgrade to the forum software, this is now active.

It's recommended that you use Google's authenticator or Authy (I use Authy) if you're going to implement this on your account.

Again, this isn't required. However, if you do implement this and lock yourself out, there's nothing we can do to recover your account.

You will be given an opportunity to copy some backup codes in the event you lose your phone. I HIGHLY recommend you copy these codes and save them somewhere safe on your computer.

Reactions: tiburonfirst

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
And to make it perfectly clear, you do not have to use the Two Step Verification. You can choose to use it or not.

:)
Soo..since I don't think I have any "need" for a two step verification thingy...since I only use my at home laptop to come here...then I just leave things as they are? Don't do anything? Right?

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
As a reminder, if you activate this on your account, we cannot undo it. I cannot stress enough the importance of making a copy of the backup codes that are provided when you activate this feature on your account.

And if you do mess things up to where you can't get back in, creating a second account is not permitted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread