Eizfan 40A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...only a 15A battery, probably a 30Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Tested at 10A-40A constant current and 60A pulsed. These cells were graciously donated by Zigian at Reddit's /r/electronic_cigarette sub and used only for testing. To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Disclaimer
    The conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have elected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Bottom Line
    In my opinion, this is a 15A continuous discharge current (CDR) cell with average capacity for its rating. Its top cap, can, tooling marks and performance are essentially identical to the Samsung 30Q.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.jpg

60A Pulsed-Current Test Results
    These pulsed-current tests are only done to show the performance of the cell at its pulse or maximum discharge rating. Do not set your coils or power levels to draw this much current!
    image.jpg

Comments
    • At 10A it reached about 2750mAh. This is about average performance for a 3000mAh-rated cell.
    • At 15A the maximum temperature reached 69°C. This is too low for a cell operating at its CDR.
    • At 20A the maximum temperature reached 81°C. This is a bit above the average temperature for a cell operating at its CDR but the same as the HG2 and 30Q.
    • At 25A the temperature rose to 95°C. This is way too high to set 25A as the CDR.
    • Discharges at 30A and 35A were not done as it would have resulted in the cell temperature exceeding my 100°C safety limit.
    • A discharge at 40A was done to show the performance of the cell at Eizfan's continuous current rating for this cell. The voltage dropped quickly to 3.3V and the discharge had to be aborted before it had finished due to the cell going over my 100°C safety limit. This is clearly not a 40A cell.
    • A single pulsed-current discharge at 60A (4 secs on/30 secs off) was done to test the cell at Eizfan's pulsed rating. The first pulse dropped the voltage down to about 2.8V. Its temperature rose to 90°C before the voltage eventually dropped to 2.50V. This cell would easily exceed 100°C if taking more frequent draws at 60A.
    • The cell's appearance (top cap, can, and tooling marks) and performance matches the Samsung 30Q but it's impossible to know what grade the Eizfan cell might be.
    To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Safety Grades -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

Froth

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 1, 2014
    Chipotle.
    Holy crap that's some serious voltage sag on the 60A pulse. Excellent stuff as always! Personally I'm curious to know how a company such as this comes to the conclusion that the battery can sustain a 60A pulse, in my mind I'm picturing something like "Hey it didn't explode the one time we tried it, that must be 100% fine!" Where does all of this battery mislabeling stop? We've already gone past the stage of the somewhat believable fake amperage ratings in the 35A range now it just seems they're going to keep the ratings going even higher as people keep buying them and believing the wrapper. Part of me is curious if they'll ever reach 100A with their entirely fictional testing and rating system.

opticruby

ECF Veteran
    Apr 19, 2015
    UK
    Thanks!

Yea, verrrry weird hearing your name in a vlog. :)
    We're talking about testing some cells he has.

I had it playing in the background when i heard him mention ecf then mooch and it instanly caught my attention. Your becoming famous mooch.

I do like grimmgreen's vlogs, he seems like a good bloke.

Did he mention which cells?

Reactions: Mooch

beckdg

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 1, 2013
    TN
    Holy crap that's some serious voltage sag on the 60A pulse. Excellent stuff as always! Personally I'm curious to know how a company such as this comes to the conclusion that the battery can sustain a 60A pulse, in my mind I'm picturing something like "Hey it didn't explode the one time we tried it, that must be 100% fine!" Where does all of this battery mislabeling stop? We've already gone past the stage of the somewhat believable fake amperage ratings in the 35A range now it just seems they're going to keep the ratings going even higher as people keep buying them and believing the wrapper. Part of me is curious if they'll ever reach 100A with their entirely fictional testing and rating system.
    LOL

They're trying to catch up with LiPo's.

@Mooch... just for GP's... Once you've got a good handful of LiPo samples done and a blast shield, you should do a couple M.axA.mps packs.

Brandon has a FIT every time someone posts an honest test result.

All the ones I've seen posted have mysteriously disappeared from teh interwebz altogether.

Tapatyped

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    On a serious note, credit to you, mooch. It really is fantastic what you do for the vaping community testing these cells in your own spare time for us. If it was'nt for you I'd be thinking 15amp cells were 40amp and blowing my hands off.

Thank you for those kind words! It's been pretty cool taking the battery nerd stuff I do all day for clients and turning it into something I can do for the community that has gotten me off the analogs!

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    LOL

They're trying to catch up with LiPo's.

@Mooch... just for GP's... Once you've got a good handful of LiPo samples done and a blast shield, you should do a couple M.axA.mps packs.

Brandon has a FIT every time someone posts an honest test result.

All the ones I've seen posted have mysteriously disappeared from teh interwebz altogether.

Tapatyped

LOL...he was pretty agressive with any comments about those packs a while ago. Haven't seen much of him online lately though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread