UGH. Newborn already dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...I just got my Big Chuck on Monday (today is Thursday...well, late Thursday night), and it had been working PERFECTLY. All of a sudden...nothing. Switched batteries, nothing. Switched attys, nothing. Turned the switch a teeny bit...nothing. Shook it a little...nothing. (You get the drift.)

I waited so long for this, and was so thrilled about it, and for it to already be dead really sucks. It's not putting out any vapor, not firing at all, it's just dead. And now, having to go back to my 501 (while waiting to hear back from Jeff) sucks too. (At least I have the 501 to go back to, though.)

I don't get it. We checked the battery voltage, they're fine. The atomizers are working on my 510 batteries. I'm just really disappointed that I JUST got it and already ordered cartomizers and drip tips (which should be here any day now) and it's already broken/messed up.

I don't mean to be a Negative Nancy, but seriously...ugh. I don't know how long it might take Jeff to get back to me, whether I should go ahead and send it back, or what. And if I have to send it in, then I have no idea how long it'll take to get it back again...and then what if it happens again? :-xI'm a little aggravated, sorry.

Suggestions? Tips? I already did the using a sharp object to lift up the little ring on one of my attys, and all that did was mess the atty up so now it doesn't work on anything either.

If nothing else, could someone PM me Jeff's address and how I need to go about sending it back in? I read that you have to send $7 for return shipping, which is fine (I guess), but do I do that through Amazon or with a check, or what?

Xanax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
East Coast
Just wanted to share with you that mine did the same thing. A week into having mine it stopped working. I got it working again but it still misfires a lot blah. I wish Jeff would put a better switch on these beautiful solid mods. It's kind of weird to me that he uses such a fragile finnicky switch on such a tough durable almost unbreakable mod... I haven't sent mine in and I don't think it's time to yet but I'll send you his address. He still hasn't replied to my email asking him what his address is (been a week or so) but another member sent it to me so I'll pass it along to you along with instructions. Hope you get this worked out. If anyone finds a good switch mod to put on my chuck let me know!! I reeeeally wanna put a diff switch on!

notsoogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
The REAL Washington
Boy that sucks Vivid! I haven't had any problems w/ mine and I've had it for about 5 months now. I know...........just what you wanted to hear.......NOT! I don't know Jeff's address but someone will come on and PM it to you I'm sure. I wish I had some suggestions for you. I know BDR said something about turning the switch too and it working for him.......at least, I think it was him.
Hang in there girl. When you do get it back in good working order I'm sure it will perform well for a long time.

Oops!! See?? They all beat me to it!! ;)

And the weirdness continues...this morning (after letting it sit upright all night) I decided to take a chance and put an atty and cart back on. It fired and put off a tiny amount of vapor (but so much better than with the 501 I've been sucking like a Hoover since my Chuck died, lol) and then quit again. I just don't get it.

Still no email back from Jeff, but I did mail him at 11PM last night and it's only 8AM now, so I didn't expect one yet.

*sigh* Unless Jeff emails me with some miracle fix it technique I guess I'm going to head to the P.O. later to send it back...I've already spent so much money on it that another $7 won't kill me. I'm just a bit PO'ed that I spent so much and waited so long on a mod that quit working within 4 days. I love it when it works, don't get me wrong, but I agree with Xanax. Even if mine's not a switch problem, something's apparently not quite right with something on some of them. I got a Chuck because I thought it was going to be EASIER than dealing with 510's. I've dropped those on everything from concrete to asphalt to brick and have only messed one of them up. I've treated this thing like a baby and it's already broken. If I hadn't already been off analogs for almost six months I'd probably be tempted to going back to smoking, lol! (No way that's happening, though...even if I have to charge 501 batteries every hour. :p)

(Oh, and notsoogood--that's awesome! I wish I would've been able to say the same thing.)

Last edited:

Ladycats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2008
Western North Carolina
Vivid, take a paper towel/Q tip and wipe all your connections down, atty, adapter, your Chuck where it all connects ..... it's possible you've just flooded it, I did that when I got my first one (lol now have 3 ). I personally don't recommend turning or twisting the top, or the switch, but that's just me :)

Vivid, take a paper towel/Q tip and wipe all your connections down, atty, adapter, your Chuck where it all connects ..... it's possible you've just flooded it, I did that when I got my first one (lol now have 3 ). I personally don't recommend turning or twisting the top, or the switch, but that's just me :)

*nods* Thank you, Ladycats. That was actually my first move after switching attys, but I just did it again. Still nothing.

Last night my 3.7 V battery was registering at 3 V, but when I put it on the charger the light was still green. I just stuck it and my 3 V batteries (which registered at 2V each last night) back on the chargers to see if making sure they're at full working capacity will make any difference.

In the meantime, I'm staring my Chuck down and *willing* it to start working. I may even give it a pep talk if necessary. I also plan on praying to Cheekus, Patron Saint of Chucks, and sending out positive, healing vibes to the Chuck. Surely none of those things can hurt, right? ;-)

Ladycats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2008
Western North Carolina
*nods* Thank you, Ladycats. That was actually my first move after switching attys, but I just did it again. Still nothing.

Last night my 3.7 V battery was registering at 3 V, but when I put it on the charger the light was still green. I just stuck it and my 3 V batteries (which registered at 2V each last night) back on the chargers to see if making sure they're at full working capacity will make any difference.

In the meantime, I'm staring my Chuck down and *willing* it to start working. I may even give it a pep talk if necessary. I also plan on praying to Cheekus, Patron Saint of Chucks, and sending out positive, healing vibes to the Chuck. Surely none of those things can hurt, right? ;-)

LOL you go girl !!! Sounds like a plan to me !!!

Houdini

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Las Vegas
I'm assuming you have a multimeter since you checked the voltage on the batteries. Have you tested the Chuck with the multimeter? Hold the leads on the center and outer area of the atty connector and push the button on the Chuck. See what happens. This is just to make sure it's a problem with the Chuck or if it's just a problem with the atty making contact.

HOORAY!!!!!

I don't know whether it was the pep talk or the fact that I literally *willed* it to work, but after I popped the batteries off the charger and put the 3.7 in, it started working again. I feel a little stupid (but the batteries SHOULD have worked last night with the voltage they were putting out, so I don't know) but so grateful. Apologies to Jeff and my preeeeciousssss Chuck (heh) for my doubts, and thanks to everyone for responding.

Houdini, I don't have a multimeter, but my husband (an electrician) does. He's the one who checked the battery output. He wanted to check the Chuck, but I was like, "NO! What if you break it? What if that thing messes it up?"

Aaaanyway, something I did apparently worked, so it's shaping up to be a great Friday afternoon at my place! :D Thanks again, guys!

quakereject

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2009
Arizona
HOORAY!!!!!

I don't know whether it was the pep talk or the fact that I literally *willed* it to work, but after I popped the batteries off the charger and put the 3.7 in, it started working again. I feel a little stupid (but the batteries SHOULD have worked last night with the voltage they were putting out, so I don't know) but so grateful. Apologies to Jeff and my preeeeciousssss Chuck (heh) for my doubts, and thanks to everyone for responding.

Houdini, I don't have a multimeter, but my husband (an electrician) does. He's the one who checked the battery output. He wanted to check the Chuck, but I was like, "NO! What if you break it? What if that thing messes it up?"

Aaaanyway, something I did apparently worked, so it's shaping up to be a great Friday afternoon at my place! :D Thanks again, guys!

You may have just forgotten to give it the newborn .... spank. Now that it's been properly christened, it will work!

AmyB66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
In A Padded Cell
I've gone through the same things with mine and yeah, weird but after about a day, they just go right back to working. I often wonder if the battery slips a tad and the little end of the batt hits the little metal thing inside (sorry, I can't do battery speak for crap)

These days if it tends to misfire, I take the batts out, change them for new, give my spring a gentle wiggle/pull-nothing mind you that bends or mishaps them-and give it another whirl. Some days, yeah I just give it a rest. Thankfully I have chuck back up.

BiffRocko

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
It's possible that the spring on the battery cap got a bit compressed, and wasn't pushing the positive battery connection onto the terminal in the top of the tube. Perhaps in fiddling with it you stretched it out just enough for it to start making contact again. If it happens again, you might try stretching the spring out a bit and see if that helps.

jeffakamax

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2009
USA
www.ThagBuilt.com
OK.... first off.
The most common issue when they are ew is he connector. I plug the connector when I powder coar them but it only takes a few specs of powder on the connector to make it not contace. It's usually clear coat too so it's not easy to see. 90% of te time simply cleaning the connector will remedy it. I tes them all before they leave, but everyone's atty is diferent. Once the atty gets screwed on/off a few times they usually wear off any residual powder.

Secondly, I return ALL e-mails. If I don't respond that means I didn't get it. I have 4 "main" addresses I check throughout the day. Unfortunately 2 of them I have had for over 20 years and get spam like you have never seen. Monday monrings I will have 1800+ e-mails. The spam filter gets most, but sometimes CHUCK e-mails find their way in there. I always search for "chuck" before deleting them but thats not to say that a few have slipped by. If I don't respond... PM me here.

I'm glad your newborn is back to CHUCKing! Take care everyone!

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM

Assuming that your meter is accurate, this was your problem. A fully charged 3.7 V battery reads 4.2V. As you use it this drops quickly to 3.7 where it levels off. When its almost done it begins to drop off rapidly from 3.4 V. At 3 volts, essentially nothing will happen because as soon as you press the button (place it under load) it drops down much more.

It could be the charger. Dirty contacts or poor contact with the battery will cause a premature green light on the charger. So, if you put the battery you have just used all day in the charger and its green, something isn't making proper contact. Or the charger is bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread