LG HB4 30A 1500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a fantastic 30A battery, beats HB6 when pulsed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Tested at 10A-35A constant current and 30A-70A pulsed. These cells were graciously donated for testing by Origin vape. Thank you! To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Disclaimer
    The statements, conclusions, and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have elected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

A note regarding current ratings and my testing
    If the cell has only one current rating on it then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuous. Otherwise they would have listed the current rating with two numbers as other companies have done. Or they would have labeled the rating on the wrap as "pulse" or "burst". Battery buyers should not have to hunt down what the number on the wrap means. I will be testing cells at the rating listed on the wrap and pointing out when they fail to meet that listed rating.

Bottom Line
    In my opinion, this is a fantastic performing true 30A continuous discharge current (CDR) cell that runs as cool as the HB6. While its high amp continuous discharge performance is below that of the HB6, it beats the HB6 when pulsed. This is the better cell for vaping at very high current levels.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.jpg

Pulsed-Current Test Results
    These tests are done to show the performance of the cell at higher pulsed current levels. If you are running your mod at these levels be aware that you risk overheating, and possibly venting, the battery if there is a malfunction or accidental pressing of your mechanical mod's button.
    image.jpg image.jpg

HB4 vs HB6 Comparisons
    image.jpg image.jpg

Comments
    • At 10A it reached about 1300mAh. This is a bit above average performance for a 1500mAh-rated cell at 10A and slightly better than the HB6.
    • At 15A, 20A, and 25A the maximum temperature reached 56°C, 65°C, and 72°C. This is below the average temperature of a cell operating at its continuous discharge rating (CDR) and is essentially identical to the HB6.
    • At 30A the maximum temperature reached 78°C. This is equal to the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR and the same as the HB6.
    • At 35A the temperature only rose to 68°C. This is because the voltage dropped so far that the running time was too short to raise the temperature any further.
    • A discharge at 40A was not done as its voltage would have immediately plummeted down to the cutoff. The HB6 is definitely the better performer at high continuous discharge rates,
    • Two more 30A discharges showed no damage to the cell at 30A and from the discharge 35A.
    • I am setting a CDR of 30A for this cell. Its temperature at this level was the same as a Samsung 25R at 20A. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current causes damage to the cell, I would expect decent cycle life from this cell at 30A.
    • I have included pulsed discharges but I haven't set pass/fail standards for pulse testing yet. The discharges were done at 30A-70A, 5sec on/30sec off, down to 2.5V. One chart shows the entire discharge at each level. The other chart is zoomed in to show the first 5 minutes to make it easier to see the voltage sag at different current levels.
    • The HB6 performs (mostly) better when discharged continuously at 30A. But when pulsed the HB4 runs at higher voltages, i.e., has a lower voltage drop, and runs longer than the HB6. The HB4 is the better performing cell for vaping.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Safety Grades -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    This is what IMRbatteries has posted regarding the HG2s:
    "LG is currently not manufacturing this cell and there is a shortage in supply. We are not sure when this item will be restocked after current stock runs out."

LG must be changing things up.
    Hope they replace the HG2 with a comparable battery.

Reactions: vapee

flatwireUK

Unresolved Status
    Dec 27, 2015
    surrey uk
    www.flatwireuk.com
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Interesting! That would explain why some are so close in performance. A little bit of cell sorting here and there and you have the different model numbers. The HB3 is listed as 20A on the LG line sheet though, with the HB2 and HB4 listed as 30A. The HB6 wasn't even on the sheet.

Can you post that spec sheet you mentioned?

Last edited by a moderator:

flatwireUK

Unresolved Status
    Dec 27, 2015
    surrey uk
    www.flatwireuk.com
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

flatwireUK

Unresolved Status
    Dec 27, 2015
    surrey uk