Samsung Green 25R (25R5) 20A 2500mAh 18650 Bench Retest Results...a great 20A battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Disclaimer
    The conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have elected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Bottom Line
    In my opinion, this is a fantastic 20A continuous discharge current (CDR) cell with good capacity for its rating.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.jpg

Pulsed-Current Test Results
    These tests are done to show the performance of the cell at higher pulsed current levels. If you are running your mod at these levels be aware that you risk overheating, and possibly venting, the battery if there is a malfunction or accidental pressing of your mechanical mod's button.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Comments
    • At 10A it reached about 2375mAh. This is fantastic performance for a 2500mAh-rated cell at 10A. I am giving this cell a capacity rating of 2500mAh.
    • At 15A the maximum temperature reached 62°C. This is way below the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR.
    • At 20A the maximum temperature reached 76°C. This is about the average for a cell operating at its CDR.
    • At 25A the temperature rose to 90°C. This is too hot a temperature for a cell operating at its CDR.
    • At 30A the temperature rose to 101°C. This just exceeds my 100°C safety limit and is way too hot for a cell to operate at.
    • Five additional cycles at 20A showed absolutely no signs of damage to the cell. I am setting a CDR of 20A for this cell. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current causes damage to the cell, I would expect good cycle life from this cell at 20A.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/list-of-battery-tests.7436/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...des-picking-a-safe-battery-to-vape-with.7447/

Last edited by a moderator:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I’ve always used 25r, but your thoughts on the HG2 had me wanting to try a pair.

Can you long story short this for me and tell me which you’d prefer on a parallel unregulated box running builds that push about 15a? Thanks.

HG2's, without a doubt.

mamabear15

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 28, 2015
    USA
    Hey another question if I can. Idk if this is quite appropriate, to blatantly ask you to tell me what to buy, but anyways...within the next few weeks I wanna replace my lil blue 25Rs I asked you about. What would you suggest as a replacement? I keep looking at vtc4s but I've heard they don't last as long between charges, and I already run around with 2 of the 4pack cases every time I go to work, lol. I've also considered trying the new green 25Rs... For a 0.3(what I still miss)-0.4 (currently hanging out at, not quite doing it for me but worth it at the moment) normal run on a mech, what would you recommend as the BEST??

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hey another question if I can. Idk if this is quite appropriate, to blatantly ask you to tell me what to buy, but anyways...within the next few weeks I wanna replace my lil blue 25Rs I asked you about. What would you suggest as a replacement? I keep looking at vtc4s but I've heard they don't last as long between charges, and I already run around with 2 of the 4pack cases every time I go to work, lol. I've also considered trying the new green 25Rs... For a 0.3(what I still miss)-0.4 (currently hanging out at, not quite doing it for me but worth it at the moment) normal run on a mech, what would you recommend as the BEST??

You don't need the VTC4's high current handling capability, or even the 25R's. I recommend the 3000mAh LG HG2. It's the highest capacity battery you can get for handling over 10A (up to 20A or so). They should last noticably longer than your 25R's before needing to be recharged.

There's the 3000mAh Samsung 30Q too. But the HG2 is being used more and is getting a great reputation.

Last edited:

mamabear15

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 28, 2015
    USA
    You don't need the VTC4's high current handling capability, or even the 25R's. I recommend the 3000mAh LG HG2. It's the highest capacity battery you can get for handling over 10A (up ton 0A or so). They should last noticably longer than your 25R's before needing to be recharged.

There's the 3000mAh Samsung 30Q too. But the HG2 is being used more and is getting a great reputation.
    Thank'ee sir!! :)

Reactions: Mooch
    Great
    Tested at 10A-30A constant current and 30A-70A pulsed. These cells were purchased by me and used only for testing thanks to the incredible donations many of you made. To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Disclaimer
    The conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have elected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

View attachment 497861 View attachment 497862 View attachment 497863 View attachment 497864

Bottom Line
    In my opinion, this is a fantastic 20A continuous discharge current (CDR) cell with good capacity for its rating. I recommend not using it above 30A. I have included 30A-70A pulsed discharges but I haven't set pass/fail standards for pulse testing yet.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    View attachment 497865

Pulsed-Current Test Results
    These tests are done to show the performance of the cell at higher pulsed current levels. If you are running your mod at these levels be aware that you risk overheating, and possibly venting, the battery if there is a malfunction or accidental pressing of your mechanical mod's button.
    View attachment 497866 View attachment 497867

Comments
    • At 10A it reached about 2375mAh. This is fantastic performance for a 2500mAh-rated cell at 10A. I am giving this cell a capacity rating of 2500mAh.
    • At 15A the maximum temperature reached 62°C. This is way below the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR.
    • At 20A the maximum temperature reached 76°C. This is about the average for a cell operating at its CDR.
    • At 25A the temperature rose to 90°C. This is too hot a temperature for a cell operating at its CDR.
    • At 30A the temperature rose to 101°C. This just exceeds my 100°C safety limit and is way too hot for a cell to operate at.
    • Five additional cycles at 20A showed absolutely no signs of damage to the cell. I am setting a CDR of 20A for this cell. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current causes damage to the cell, I would expect good cycle life from this cell at 20A.
    • Pulsed-current discharges were done at 30A-70A, 5sec on/30sec off, down to 2.5V. One chart shows the entire discharge at each level. The other chart is zoomed in to show the first 5 minutes to make it easier to see the voltage sag at different current levels.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Safety Grades -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum

As always, great post Mooch. Unfortunately, I dont completely understand what these test results mean, without having to do the ohms law math, to find out what Amp I vape at. Hahaha, U kind of have to dumb it down for people like me. Great Post regardless, but all I know is like to vape ranging from 0.3 -0.5 ohms at 50-70w.

My question is which batteries do you recommend for the Reaulex rx200 with uses 3 18650s in series, vaping from .3-.5ohms at 50-70w. I use 25rs but got a feeling the He2s may last longer. Also which batteries for the noisy cricket, a series box mod at .89 ohms.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    Great

As always, great post Mooch. Unfortunately, I dont completely understand what these test results mean, without having to do the ohms law math, to find out what Amp I vape at. Hahaha, U kind of have to dumb it down for people like me. Great Post regardless, but all I know is like to vape ranging from 0.3 -0.5 ohms at 50-70w.

My question is which batteries do you recommend for the Reaulex rx200 with uses 3 18650s in series, vaping from .3-.5ohms at 50-70w. I use 25rs but got a feeling the He2s may last longer. Also which batteries for the noisy cricket, a series box mod at .89 ohms.
    Not Mooch but for both those applications the HG2's should work fine and give longer run time per charge.

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    Great

With vw devices (a category that tc falls within) you don't need to account for the resistance of the coil when calculating amp draw, only the watts and the cutoff voltage of the batteries. So in your example, with the Reuleaux:

70w / 9.6v (three batteries in series, and the device stops firing when the batteries are at 3.2v a piece) = 7.3 amps

Add 10% to account for circuit drain (that's an exaggerated number, but better safe than sorry) = 8 amps

You would be safe with 10 amp batteries. However, I'd recommend the Samsung 30q or LG hg2. Both are 3000 mAh and let you safely run up to 180w if you would want to.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Great

Umm...yea...what @Robert Cromwell and @KenD said. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread