Researching help

Status
Not open for further replies.

josma

Dec 26, 2015
Hi all I just joined to try to research and learn more about e cigs and vaping for hubby. He wants to find a really good one that will help him quit smoking. He doesn't want to continue using it just wants to use it as a tool to help him step down gradually to quit. I started searching around and found out I should do some serious in depth research. So I found your forum so hoping to learn all I can. I'll be lurking around on here for awhile . I'd really Appreciate suggestions on the best places to look on here that will help me understand from the ground up about all the different aspects and how to choose the right one. I never dreamed there was so very many different things to consider. Hubby just wanted to go down to a local place and buy one. I told him to give me a little time to reseach first just to be sure about it all and so glad I did. Anyway look forward to posting with everyone. And again really Appreciate it if you all can point me in the right direction to get started and I will try not to start posting until I have a better grasp on what I am talking about. Thanks everyone be seeing you all around!

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum @josma. Glad to have you here!:)

If you are interested in learning more about e-cigarettes (and all the parts and pieces) below are some blog posts by ECF member @Baditude that I highly recommend for someone new to vaping.
Here are a few more links from New Members Information <= Link covers many topics. Here are two of them:
Nicotine

A "general guideline" for nicotine concentration in e-liquid to the number of cigarettes smoked per day. If you are subohming (resistance under 1.0Ω) cut these nicotine levels by at least 50%.

06 mg = 10 cigarettes or less
12 mg = 20 cigarettes
18 mg = 30 cigarettes
24 mg = 40 cigarettes

eLiquid/Juice

PG = Propylene Glycol - the "flavor carrier" of e-liquid. A secondary source of "throat hit", but not as strong as the nicotine concentration. Some people have a sensitivity or even an allergy to PG. It's very thin.

VG = Vegetable Glycerin - the "vapor maker" of e-liquid. Used as a sweeter in many food sources, and also as a skin emollient. It's very thick. Often labeled just "Glycerine"

PG and VG are often used together in different ratios in e-liquid. For example, a 50/50 PG/VG ratio. Many juice vendors offer a range of different ratios as far as PG/VG.

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
Hi and welcome.

How long has your husband been smoking, how much, and what brand? (Menthol or not)

Vaping isn't a magical thing where people just switch over (at least for a lot, some do). It takes time and effort. If he doesn't want to quit, he never will. It took me almost a year of a combination of vaping, chantix, gum, and the patch to quit. Lol.

Good idea coming here first, rather than a local store! For something simple and easier to use, I'd suggest something like this:

Aspire Premium Starter Kit

(I'm sure there are cheaper places out there, this is the first that popped up for me on google)

It's considered a "beginner device", but a lot of people have used something similar to quit, and kept vaping it for years. I'd also recommend picking up a 2nd battery, so he's never waiting to charge it (unless he forgets to charge both!)

Good luck and happy hunting! I'm sure someone will be here soon to suggest something completely different. Lol.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Hi all I just joined to try to research and learn more about e cigs and vaping for hubby. He wants to find a really good one that will help him quit smoking. He doesn't want to continue using it just wants to use it as a tool to help him step down gradually to quit. I started searching around and found out I should do some serious in depth research. So I found your forum so hoping to learn all I can. I'll be lurking around on here for awhile . I'd really Appreciate suggestions on the best places to look on here that will help me understand from the ground up about all the different aspects and how to choose the right one. I never dreamed there was so very many different things to consider. Hubby just wanted to go down to a local place and buy one. I told him to give me a little time to reseach first just to be sure about it all and so glad I did. Anyway look forward to posting with everyone. And again really Appreciate it if you all can point me in the right direction to get started and I will try not to start posting until I have a better grasp on what I am talking about. Thanks everyone be seeing you all around!

I would recommend a mod with external battery. He can be vaping on one battery while another is being charged.

Here is my recommended list.

IPV D2
eVic VTC MINI
Kanger Subox
Koopor Mini
Istick60tc.

Nothing worse than having the craving to vape but you can't because the battery is dead. With these swap out the battery and vape.

Some come with tanks. Some do not.

If he is coming off cigarettes he may be expecting the mouth to lung inhale. It may be worth your while to get a Nautilus Mini tank because it is a good tank and will emulate the draw he is used to.

Every vapers vaping style changes over time. He may want a tank that can deliver a full lung hit.

It mah be a good idea to get the Subox Mini with Nautilus Mini. Start him off with the Nautilus. When be is ready for more airflow step into the Kanger Subtank Mini.

You will need two or more 18650 batteries with battery charger. I like Samsung25r batteries. Sony, LG, etc makes good batteries. Mooch a member of ECF is a battery expert check his posts and blogs.

Lastly buy his gear online and save a lot of money.

Bubsmash

Nov 22, 2015
Firstly I will say all of this info everyone above me has stated is golden and right on target. Myself I was smoking for years as well as chewing for years I tried the gum the mints the patch you name it I tried it to quit. One thing that has been mentioned already that is key to the sucess of a change over to vaping is He has to want to stop himself or it will not work.
Myself when I started vaping I started with some Kanger Evod 2's you can buy these and like others have mentioned already one can always be charged.
It has been about two months now since I touched a stinky cig and well over three years since I have put any chewing tabaco into my mouth. Sadly I as well as my girlfriend found our Kanger Evod 2's just were not doing it for us as we had such bad cravings that we found we were sucking away on the things more than we were putting them down. In due to this the charging the batteries needed at that point could not keep up to our cravvings.
Off we went back to the vaping store this time to spend BIG money on a full out set up for both my girlfriend and I. We left with two Sigelei 150 Watt temp control devices but those need a tank sold seperately. I had to buy two Sense Herakles tanks where the liquid that is burned goes into. I had to buy four 18650 batteries and I would suggest Samsung or LGs stay away from anything Efest when it comes to batteries there chargers are fine but there batteries are very hit and miss.
Lastly I had to buy a charger for us to charge the batteries. In all I spent allot of money that day but it has been very worth it for us as we started with an e liquid that has 12mg of nicotene in it and we are down to a 6mg but we are droping to 0mg tomorrow.
Though technically we quit this way we now like to vape on occasion as the flavors are now with what have really drawn us in and we probably wont stop as we like it now too much.
We bought these good devices to get a good strong throat and lung hit and it has worked very well for us. We also bought them because we were getting sick of charging little devices all the time. Now that we have these we can go for about 3 days before we have to charge them.
When you start looking for a device keep this in mind when looking at pricing as the more you spend on the device the more battery life in general you will get. You may also get a tempature control to control how hot the vapour is. I hope this helps you more on understanding with what is involved and good luck.

josma

Dec 26, 2015
Wow Thanks guys I Really Appreciate all the input you guys have given me. And I just wanted to say that it is hubby's idea to try this to stop smoking I am just trying to do some research to help set him up with the best set up we can to help him succeed in doing it. I am going to read over all the links and info here and will probably be back shortly with questions. Thank you all again so Very much.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Wow Thanks guys I Really Appreciate all the input you guys have given me. And I just wanted to say that it is hubby's idea to try this to stop smoking I am just trying to do some research to help set him up with the best set up we can to help him succeed in doing it. I am going to read over all the links and info here and will probably be back shortly with questions. Thank you all again so Very much.

Here is something go tell your hubby.

I started at 18 mg nicotine 20 months ago and DIYing my ejuice I slowly reduced my nicotine. About 5 hours ago I went 0mg nicotine

I tried EVERYTHING but Chantix and the stop smoking computer sold on infomercial.

I tried the gum, patches, cold turkey, and even hypnosis. NOTHING worked before vaping.

josma

Dec 26, 2015
Hi all hubby has informed me that he would rather go down to a local shop and purchase stuff so that he can actually see the different types of everything and see what all is available in person. And have the people to talk to in person. So I'd like to find out how we figure out whats a good reputable local shop to go to. How do we find out which ones would be the best in our area. He seems very serious about this so I want to encourage him as much as I can and I don't want to drag our feet to long on this. Want to strike while the irons hot so not sure I have a lot of time to do the researching I really wanted to do.
I asked him today what he smokes and how much etc. I know hes been smoking since he was 18 years old and is now 54 years old. He smokes Marlboro Menthol light 1 pack which he said is 20 a day! Seems like a lot to me but then I don't know anything about smoking except I don't like the smell . I know he has smoked different types through the years but this is whats smoked for a while now I think. Anyway I would really Appreciate any input on how to look for the best shop around us for him to get started. We are in the Panhandle of Florida area. Panama City area if anyone here knows of a good reputable shop in this area. Would be willing to drive an hour to 2 or so if we could find a really good shop. Anyway I really Appreciate any input on this. I had thought he wouldn't mind ordering on line but I guess it does make sense to go in person and actually see and get a feel for everything. And he'd get to take it home and start right away. Plus if we can find a good shop he feels they could answer all his questions and help him pick everything out. So would Appreciate all the help and suggestions you all can give me. Still plan to keep reading stuff but I need to get this into faster motion so would really love to have ya'lls input. He wants to try to go this weekend so any and all the suggestion you all can give me will be Greatly Appreciated. Thank you !

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Hi all hubby has informed me that he would rather go down to a local shop and purchase stuff so that he can actually see the different types of everything and see what all is available in person. And have the people to talk to in person. So I'd like to find out how we figure out whats a good reputable local shop to go to. How do we find out which ones would be the best in our area. He seems very serious about this so I want to encourage him as much as I can and I don't want to drag our feet to long on this. Want to strike while the irons hot so not sure I have a lot of time to do the researching I really wanted to do.
I asked him today what he smokes and how much etc. I know hes been smoking since he was 18 years old and is now 54 years old. He smokes Marlboro Menthol light 1 pack which he said is 20 a day! Seems like a lot to me but then I don't know anything about smoking except I don't like the smell . I know he has smoked different types through the years but this is whats smoked for a while now I think. Anyway I would really Appreciate any input on how to look for the best shop around us for him to get started. We are in the Panhandle of Florida area. Panama City area if anyone here knows of a good reputable shop in this area. Would be willing to drive an hour to 2 or so if we could find a really good shop. Anyway I really Appreciate any input on this. I had thought he wouldn't mind ordering on line but I guess it does make sense to go in person and actually see and get a feel for everything. And he'd get to take it home and start right away. Plus if we can find a good shop he feels they could answer all his questions and help him pick everything out. So would Appreciate all the help and suggestions you all can give me. Still plan to keep reading stuff but I need to get this into faster motion so would really love to have ya'lls input. He wants to try to go this weekend so any and all the suggestion you all can give me will be Greatly Appreciated. Thank you !

You get the mod and tank at a B&M you will spend a lot more money than you have to. Before I got the Istick40tc I thought about buying the Istick 50. I could have gotten one online for $39-44 if memory serves. I went into the vape shop because Bill ( One of the people I got off the Stinkies) I was putting a starter kit together and needed a bottle of ejuice. The vape shop had the Istick 50 in the case for $99.

I found the istick40tc on Amazon $34.95 and grabbed it. A brand new mod with the same warranty, and if it didn't work there was Amazon's return policy. A no lose situation.

There is nothing wrong with making a profit but they can get stuff wholesale and charge more than twice what I can get the same thing online at retail.

Back to Bill. He wanted to try an eCig and at the same B&M they quoted him a price of $40 for an EVOD starter kit. On eBay I found the same thing in a blister pack for $12. I had a plug for an old phone I lost, and I bought him a $6 bottle of ejuice so instead of paying $40 plus tax he had the same kit. A way to charge the eCig from an outlet instead of plugging the USB into a computer, and his first bottle of ejuice and his total cost was $18.

I understand that B&Ms have overhead with rent, utilities, and employees but to charge 4 times as much as they paid is steep to me. I could stand 100% markups but not 400%.

But this choice is yours and not mine.

AnnaF

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2013
www.legendgadget.com
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

e-cigarette.com

Moved On
Jan 1, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1