Status
Not open for further replies.

camerajunkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
United States
Hello fellow reonauts!

So finally got a punch set to attempt the fix. Was real gentle, got it to re-thread without the Delrin cover, do I need to countersink the Delrin cover a bit more? The screw seems like in good shape but it's still not catching. I used a 5/32 sized punch. Any tips welcome!!

84b444c36809e484770a118d33963bda.jpg

867c76c164e75b8ec593c494afc1b5d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ENAUD

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Hello Gil many people give up on mechanical mods because they dont realize if the positive contact isn't clean the mod wont perform properly . The contact gets dirty and they feel they have to push the button hard to make the mod work properly . Some people end up bending the contact flat from applying to much pressure on the button . When all that was needed was to remove the oxidation buildup on the positive contact . You dont even have to clean the mod just the tip of the positive contact . So they get rid of there mod no realizing they just sold one of the best devices money can buy
And people like me snag them, clean 'em up and vape like a Sir with them! :lol: :) I just loved this post and wanted to bump it forward Rob :thumbs:

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Hello fellow reonauts!

So finally got a punch set to attempt the fix. Was real gentle, got it to re-thread without the Delrin cover, do I need to countersink the Delrin cover a bit more? The screw seems like in good shape but it's still not catching. I used a 5/32 sized punch. Any tips welcome!!

Are you pushing the delrin block upwards with a little pressure from a thumb while trying to get the screw to engage? You should feel the screw just click into place when everything is lined up right...

camerajunkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
United States
It seems the positive contact is pressing down on the screw which isn't helping things much, I tightened the stainless nipple to try and get more clearance below the positive pin to get the screw to catch. Even though it's catching now a bit, it's still pressing down on the screw of the delrin cover and making it catch at a slight 45 degree angle.

Here's a video I just took for reference

Last edited:

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Hello fellow reonauts!

You need to hit the punch harder . Don't hit it straight down you want to come at it at a angle from the outside of the threaded hole . If your punch is straight up and down it wont do anything you want to force the aluminum inward

camerajunkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
United States
You need to hit the punch harder . Don't hit it straight down you want to come at it at a angle from the outside of the threaded hole . If your punch is straight up and down it wont do anything you want to force the aluminum inward

Thanks for the tip will try it later on today!

**Edit - you guys rock! Been out of this vape since mid November and couldn't afford to send it over to Rob. The angled punch worked, took a couple of tries, but it's fixed.

93929dcdbe15405dabe91fefbaa7b53d.jpg

Last edited:

milandjikic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
Hello, im new with Reo, not new with mech tho. Can anyone briefly explain or post a pic or link me to te pic where is pointed what parts are to be treated with noalox?
On my standard tubes i would go with threads and the switch, but since switch on reo is only pushing a gold plated sheet of metal down to the battery, i dont quite understand where should i apply noalox. Also, i don't have any niple top batteries, so im getting quite some sparks at lower resistance, how to minimize them? I will buy a niple top ones, but it's going to take me some time to get them, my pririty now is a bf with mesh capable setups :)

Reactions: JC Okie

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Hello, im new with Reo, not new with mech tho. Can anyone briefly explain or post a pic or link me to te pic where is pointed what parts are to be treated with noalox?
On my standard tubes i would go with threads and the switch, but since switch on reo is only pushing a gold plated sheet of metal down to the battery, i dont quite understand where should i apply noalox. Also, i don't have any niple top batteries, so im getting quite some sparks at lower resistance, how to minimize them? I will buy a niple top ones, but it's going to take me some time to get them, my pririty now is a bf with mesh capable setups :)
The noalox or deoxit goes on the part of the positive contact that touches your battery . I would put a little on the top of your flat top battery as well if your experiencing heavy sparking .

Every mechanical mod arcs. The only difference is with a REO, you can see it.
If you're not keeping your positive contact and your batteries clean, your mod will eventually start to misfire .

I am not a electrical engineer. These are things I have learned over time. Every time your positive contact breaks connection with your battery, it arcs. This leaves black spots on your battery and on your positive contact. In mild cases you can't even see it. If you're not cleaning your contacts, the black marks build up to a point the positive contact isn't making a good connection with your battery. Picture two plates of glass stacked one on top of the other. Sprinkle sand on top of one plate of glass and try stacking the other on top of it. The plates of glass wont lie flat on each other the sand keeps them from doing this . The sand acts just like the black spots on your battery and positive contact.

A white pen eraser works great on contacts. There is enough abrasion there to remove any residue without damaging your contacts. Do this to your positive contact and the top of your batteries followed by a Q-tip with alcohol . Apply Noalox or Deoxit to your positive contact. I never run my mod without using Noalox or Deoxit and I never have problems. Because I never run my mod without Noalox or Deoxit I have never had to clean my contacts with anything more then a Q-tip with some alcohol.

The Noalox or Deoxit forms a barrier so the arcing isn't leaving residue on your contacts.

The lower in ohms you vape, the more maintenance you will have to do. I run a 1.0 ohm coil; once a month works perfect for me. If you're running a .5 ohm coil, you will need to do it more often.

My favorite is Deoxit Gold with the brush applicator; a little pricey but it will last a life time. You can buy it in smaller tubes as well.
http://www.amazon.com/DeoxITGOLD-Li...e=UTF8&qid=1426258348&sr=8-11&keywords=deoxit

Noalox: if you're on a budget. I also sell it on my site.
Ideal 30-024 Noalox Anti-Oxidant Compound .5 oz. Tube

milandjikic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
The noalox or deoxit goes on the part of the positive contact that touches your battery . I would put a little on the top of your flat top battery as well if your experiencing heavy sparking .

If you're not keeping your positive contact and your batteries clean, your mod will eventually start to misfire .

I am not a electrical engineer. These are things I have learned over time. Every time your positive contact breaks connection with your battery, it arcs. This leaves black spots on your battery and on your positive contact. In mild cases you can't even see it. If you're not cleaning your contacts, the black marks build up to a point the positive contact isn't making a good connection with your battery. Picture two plates of glass stacked one on top of the other. Sprinkle sand on top of one plate of glass and try stacking the other on top of it. The plates of glass wont lie flat on each other the sand keeps them from doing this . The sand acts just like the black spots on your battery and positive contact.

A white pen eraser works great on contacts. There is enough abrasion there to remove any residue without damaging your contacts. Do this to your positive contact and the top of your batteries followed by a Q-tip with alcohol . Apply Noalox or Deoxit to your positive contact. I never run my mod without using Noalox or Deoxit and I never have problems. Because I never run my mod without Noalox or Deoxit I have never had to clean my contacts with anything more then a Q-tip with some alcohol.

The Noalox or Deoxit forms a barrier so the arcing isn't leaving residue on your contacts.

The lower in ohms you vape, the more maintenance you will have to do. I run a 1.0 ohm coil; once a month works perfect for me. If you're running a .5 ohm coil, you will need to do it more often.

My favorite is Deoxit Gold with the brush applicator; a little pricey but it will last a life time. You can buy it in smaller tubes as well.
http://www.amazon.com/DeoxITGOLD-Li...e=UTF8&qid=1426258348&sr=8-11&keywords=deoxit

Thanks for the info :) As ive said, i was using regular mech mods like Nemesis, Silver Fox, Nemi and similars, but i never put any noalox on top of the battery or on top of the contact poins between the battery and mod. What i used to is gently rub all the contct surfaces with a piece of ss mesh and that would do a great job on uncoated sufraces, but since reo's contacts are coated, i dont want to scratch the coating.

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
Thanks for the info :) As ive said, i was using regular mech mods like Nemesis, Silver Fox, Nemi and similars, but i never put any noalox on top of the battery or on top of the contact poins between the battery and mod. What i used to is gently rub all the contct surfaces with a piece of ss mesh and that would do a great job on uncoated sufraces, but since reo's contacts are coated, i dont want to scratch the coating.
Even on in coated contacts the last thing you want to do is use steel wool or sandpaper. It will only make the oxidation worse. The best connection is a polished surface.

Reactions: redeyedancer

milandjikic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
Even on in coated contacts the last thing you want to do is use steel wool or sandpaper. It will only make the oxidation worse. The best connection is a polished surface.
Mesh is not that agressive on the surface, and brass or copper works out great with just slight rubbing. I didn't noticed any oxidation over the regular one, and also didn't notice oxidation happening any faster than usual... But again, i didnt want to try that on a coated surface so i thought better ask and make no mistake :)

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA

Thats gota be the longest post I've seen you write in the 5+ years I've been reading here! Haha nice one.

Reactions: Robinowitz

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
I'm getting ready to replace my firing pin in my TRA, it has the new adjustable 510. Is it done the same way with the new 510 as it was with the old 510? Remove the nipple, swap firing pins, replace nipple and done? The reason I ask is because the nipple on this Reo doesn't seem to want to budge and I don't want to force it in case I'm not supposed to turn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread