Beginner questions of a non-smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallbreaker

Jan 21, 2016
Good morning everyone.

My name is Filip and yesterday I found myself researching about E-Cigarettes because it highly interested me for absolutely no reason. Actually, it may be because of my fascination for the process of "smoking" or "vaping", just to exhale a thick cloud of white goodness fills me with relaxation.

Just to give you guys a quick profile of myself, I'm a non-smoker, never smoked regular cigarettes in my life. Although I've tried some other smokable stuff (yes, the obvious answer) and switched to vaping in that region for long-term health reasons. At that time I wasn't too excited about the process of vaping per-se, because my vaporizer doesn't produce that much vapor to do anything, also the flavor is kinda... meh. So I've always played with the thought of starting with E-cigs, but I am kind of scared to do it, because (from the things I've seen) many people switch to vaping BECAUSE they were cigarette smokers in the first place. I am on the different side, I want to start vaping although I am not a regular cigarette smoker.
So basically I have the standard beginner questions, you could say:
1. I've read into different forms (and the different components) of vapes, and I like the idea of a "blocky" battery and a tank on top of it, since my other vaporizer looks similar (without the atomizer/cartridge of course, the heating chamber was "integrated" into the battery). That's where I would like to start. But of course, I don't have a clue which product is best for me. Usually, I love to browse through products and find the one that is best-suited for me, but because I currently have a lot of work to do, I don't find myself browsing through vape-vendor-sites. So my question is: Which products can you recommend for a non-smoker? Even if it is a range of products, that would be enough for me to research when I find the time.
2. Since I'm a non-smoker, I wouldn't like to start with nicotine consumption. I know that there are 0g-nicotine E-Liquids out there, but are the flavors mostly centered around smokers? I guess what I'm trying to say is, is there even a "place" for non-smokers who want to get into vaping without nicotine, or will I be a fringe-group that has to search vigorously for a no-nicotine flavor?

If you are still here, I thank you for reading through all my problems. :) I would greatly appreciate an answer.

Have a good day,
Filip

Clydde26

Jan 20, 2016
Hopkinsville
Almost all ejuice flavors come in a 0mg nicotine variant so you are covered there. But if your looking to get into vaping to quit the other habit you had technically your still in the right area. Since (other stuff) inhales are usually a lung and airy draw I would recommend you start with a sub ohm setup.... As far As block mod devices there are several and it all depends on what you want out of your vaping experience. I recommend a starter kit just to see if you in fact will like to get into the vaping scene and then as you find more time research devices to suit your needs if the kit didn't suit you.... The kanger top box mini kit or smok micro one kit is nice.... Joy e tech vtc mini kit is also a nice start.

Last edited by a moderator:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Good morning everyone.

My name is Filip and yesterday I found myself researching about E-Cigarettes because it highly interested me for absolutely no reason. Actually, it may be because of my fascination for the process of "smoking" or "vaping", just to exhale a thick cloud of white goodness fills me with relaxation.

Just to give you guys a quick profile of myself, I'm a non-smoker, never smoked regular cigarettes in my life. Although I've tried some other smokable stuff (yes, the obvious answer) and switched to vaping in that region for long-term health reasons. At that time I wasn't too excited about the process of vaping per-se, because my vaporizer doesn't produce that much vapor to do anything, also the flavor is kinda... meh. So I've always played with the thought of starting with E-cigs, but I am kind of scared to do it, because (from the things I've seen) many people switch to vaping BECAUSE they were cigarette smokers in the first place. I am on the different side, I want to start vaping although I am not a regular cigarette smoker.
So basically I have the standard beginner questions, you could say:
1. I've read into different forms (and the different components) of vapes, and I like the idea of a "blocky" battery and a tank on top of it, since my other vaporizer looks similar (without the atomizer/cartridge of course, the heating chamber was "integrated" into the battery). That's where I would like to start. But of course, I don't have a clue which product is best for me. Usually, I love to browse through products and find the one that is best-suited for me, but because I currently have a lot of work to do, I don't find myself browsing through vape-vendor-sites. So my question is: Which products can you recommend for a non-smoker? Even if it is a range of products, that would be enough for me to research when I find the time.
2. Since I'm a non-smoker, I wouldn't like to start with nicotine consumption. I know that there are 0g-nicotine E-Liquids out there, but are the flavors mostly centered around smokers? I guess what I'm trying to say is, is there even a "place" for non-smokers who want to get into vaping without nicotine, or will I be a fringe-group that has to search vigorously for a no-nicotine flavor?

If you are still here, I thank you for reading through all my problems. :) I would greatly appreciate an answer.

Have a good day,
Filip

Hi,
BEST ANSWER:
Go to a local vape store.

You don't know what you don't know.

Best of luck
I

Wallbreaker

Jan 21, 2016
First off, thanks for all the answers. Really nice and responsive forum :)

Almost all ejuice flavors come in a 0mg nicotine variant so you are covered there. But if your looking to get into vaping to quit the other habit you had technically your still in the right area. Since herbal inhales are usually a lung and airy draw I would recommend you start with a sub ohm setup.... As far As block mod devices there are several and it all depends on what you want out of your vaping experience. I recommend a starter kit just to see if you in fact will like to get into the vaping scene and then as you find more time research devices to suit your needs if the kit didn't suit you.... The kanger top box mini kit or smok micro one kit is nice.... Joy e tech vtc mini kit is also a nice start.

I think I didn't make myself very clear in my first post. My intentions are not to quit smoking (other stuff) , because that's fun in its own way, and I do it 1-2 times per month at maximum. I just like the idea of smoking/vaping, the consumption method. Also, If I would get a vape in the future, I wouldn't use it frequently (e.g. on a day-to-day basis), but rather on a weekly basis, practicing smoke tricks, or just for the flavor. Also: I am very intrigued in a sub-ohm setup, but I don't know if I can handle the heat that would be produced by the vape. Can you maybe give me a little insight on that, e.g. on a low to medium watt setting?
And I'll definetly check out the products you linked. Thanks!

I'd be reluctant to give you advice - if you are a non smoker I wouldn't recommend even taking up vaping. I don't believe vaping is a gateway to smoking btw.

That's what I was kinda hoping for :) A critical voice that gives you a different take on the scenario.
Can you explain why? Apart from the "health risks", that is coming from non-smoking to non-regular smoking.

Hi,
BEST ANSWER:
Go to a local vape store.

You don't know what you don't know.

Best of luck
I

I'll definetly do that next week or the week after that, but I thought I'll ask the Internet in the meantime. :)

Clydde26

Jan 20, 2016
Hopkinsville
There are not many health risks when it comes to vaping if your venturing into the 0mg nicotine avenue...as long as you do your research on the flavors you buy and make sure they dont contain diacetycl which has been linked to a lung disease all other ingredients contained within e juice can be found in normal day to day products we consume on their own... As long as you maintain your on a weekly basis you will be fine, no real risk for dehydration. Some people have reactions to Propylene glycol which causes irritation to ones mucus membranes...but you would notice that within a few attempts....higher VG juices would make the irritation become far less in the forefront and due to you being what we term " a cloud chaser" the max VG juices is what you would be interested in anyways. Temp control coils tend to produce a cooler vape, so that could be a possible avenue you could try to pursue however some have discovered that they have reactions to nickel or are scared to vape with nickel due to the health concerns that have been brought up. Essentially with sub ohm vaping the more air you can produce through your device the cooler the vaping experience so it might not be as hot as you percieve it to be. I would recommend possibly going with maybe a Subvod Kit or a Top Box mini kit... or possibly even a Joy e tech Vtc mini kit... all are around 75 watt devices and are sub ohm capable. They are decently priced so if you decide it isnt for you, your not out a big chunk of change.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Hi Wallbreaker - I cannot preach at anyone given my own smoking history nor would I wish to do so. What was in my mind was that being young you've probably got the best body and pair of lungs you'll ever have so why spoil things? Personally if I had my time over I think I would have gone for not smoking in the first place. I know well that vaping isn't smoking...but none of us know what 50 years of vaping will do to anyone... Most of us here I think are using vaping as a way of not smoking or reducing the harm we would have done ourselves by continuing to smoke. Just my random thoughts.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome. :)

If you want to vape, give it a go. I'd suggest not using Nicotine, but some people believe Nicotine addiction is highly unlikely without the 'smoking' element. (We don't tell people to not drink Caffeine, for example)

2 comments from me.

Get advice, seek friendly help, take is easy.

Do NOT trust yourself to search the internet for 'brands'. This I cannot stress enough.
More than half of everything out there about e-cigarettes is fake, untrustworthy, biased, skewed.... it's taken as accepted that a lot of the Pro and Anti propaganda is not reliable. Well, guess what? Over 300 review websites (not forums) are completely faked to promote certain brands and certain products.
When people poke fun (in a jokey way) and/or detract from the so called "best brands" they do it for a reason. They are NOT the best brands. They are the brands that PAY to be seen as the best.

... and people thought tobacco companies were evil? (Yes, they are now at it was well)

The #1 rated brands are rip-offs specializing in marketing BS and exaggerated claims.
Even the #1 online magazine is FAKED to make them money from your pocket.

You'd better believe it.

Who wants to pay $159.99 for a kit worth $22?
Who wants to pay $119.99 for a $24.99 e-cig?
Who wants to pay $11 for $1.72 e-liquid?

QED. I rest my case. :)

Reactions: AndriaD

johnjub

Verified Member
Dec 29, 2015
Rolling Meadows Illinios
Welcome, I have to agree with Falconeer. I myself used vaping to beat a 40 year 2 pack a day habit ( been cig. free since 10/27/14 ). Why put anything in your lungs at all. I fought for many years to stop and that is the reason I vape. Remember it is just my opinion. I wish you luck in finding what you are looking for.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
There is a place for non-smoking vapers if they want to be. Like a number of others, I don't recommend it if you're not using it to keep off tobacco; and definitely don't use nicotine if you can avoid it. Nicotine is miserable: trust me on this. If you want to try, a good place to start would be with something like the Kanger Subox kit.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
It irks the hell out of me to see adults trying to tell other adults what to do or not do.

Vape if you wanna! [removed] You're a grown-up! Your life, your consequences, positive or negative! I just flat out hate bossy people and control freaks -- that's how the ANTZ (anti-nicotine and tobacco zealots) operate, and it infuriates me!

Someone did point out that sometimes PG can be irritating. What they did not say is that sometimes VG can make you feel like you have a hairball in your chest you can't cough up, which makes breathing difficult. So I would second the advice of, go to a vape shop; try some flavors; try to find an ejuice that's 50/50 PG/VG, and see how it affects your mouth, throat, and breathing; if it irritates, feels like a chemical burn, gives you a sore throat, then you should use less PG and more VG. If, after a few days of vaping it, it makes your chest feel tight, heavy, congested, feel like you need to cough up but can't, then less VG and more PG.

And enjoy it, no matter what control-freaks may say about it.

Andria

DenseVaper

Jan 23, 2016
Kansas, USA
On variable watt devices the hotness of the vapor depends on how high the watts (20w=cooler vape where 50w is warmer) if your new to vaping stay away from temp control. I would start with something like the kangertech top box. It has decent power and the subtank is a good tank with lots of coil options and decent airflow.
On your juice all vendors offer 0mg nic option. More VG makes more clouds more PG gives more throat hit and flavor. That being said if your using a tank you would probably want somewhere around 70vg30pg or 50vg50pg the max vg juices will make bigger clouds but they don't wick as fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread