Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I did get several sample packs from my first order of ReadyXwick (which comes with all three sizes) and I am out of the 3mm until my new order comes, since that is what I have been using-- so I may try to build some micro-coils with the thin wick I have until I have some more wick in, so thanks for these tips! I'm intrigued. Will look this over more carefully and try soon. The juice I am using is all VG.

I'm primarily a VG user myself due to a slight sensitivity. But I've adapted somewhat to PG. Listen, do look over posts here and the two threads I mentioned on winding with strain. It builds rigidity into the coil so its absolutely tight when you pulse it (low-voltage) or uniform if spaced. Even strain distribution really helps promote a likewise development of oxidation which is what gives tensioned m.c.'s the very consistent thermal output end to end which makes RxW shine. Not to dissuade you from other tools, I use many. If a coiler at 2.5 is your jolly, have at it. I use a broader variety of devices and more juices than most. So my repertoire is at least a 1/2 doz diameters just for RDA's depending on temp I'm opting for on different juices. You have a single form factor and less variety, then winding options get simpler. Still balanced strain in your wind and install will make a big difference. On contact pressure, yeah Nextel likes it. Think garden hose and you get the idea. Tighter and you limit flow but increase its speed tending to less juice volume but faster vaporization, more diffusion. Looser, more juice and slowed but denser vaporization and slightly cooler. Tensioned coils will run slightly cooler as you'll get more efficient vaporization for the power applied. So you can drop res slightly for greater production. Or settle there and enjoy the slower batt draw. All good reasons to consider diameter alternatives.

Along with the the excellent advice you'll receive here have a look at the "Coil Wrapping" tab on Steam Engine main page | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators. An indispensable tool for predicting the performance of your build.

Good luck show.

:)

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
If you are using the 3mm ReadyxWick you need to use the 2.5mm coiler - this way it allows the ReadyxWick to "fill" the coil touching all around the coil. I love the stuff - use it in 99% of all my rebuilds - even the Spheroids :)

Also, you can stick a small flat head or sewing needle (something small) through the middle of the RxW when it's inside the coil to create a small hole through the center of the RxW and making sure its touching to coil surround.

I use a .055" drill rod through the center of 3mm RxW, works great.

Reactions: MsLoud

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
In reading back thru a few pages, I think I'm picking up that you use a 2.5mm coil for the 2.7mm reg RxW, and the 1.7mm RxW in a 1.5mm coil, is this correct?
Correct... I have to say one of the best things about using RxW is I only have to dry burn it once a week and if I am satisfied with my build, it lasts on average of about 6 months or longer... No daily rewicking of cotton at all. Don't miss those days at all. Love the simplicity of RxW.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
Well I'll be darned. I went rummaging thru my sample wicking drawer and found 1' of RxW. Looks to be the 1.7mm size, and I apparently ordered this and into the drawer it went, and I forgot all about it. Guess it's time to try it, LOL! Do you just thread it into the coil, juice it up and let it sit for a few minutes?
Gonna go make a 1.5mm coil and see how it goes. :)

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
Ok, I made a 1.5mm dia. coil on the Coil Master, and tried cutting the wick to a point, and threading it thru. Ain't no way it's going, but I didn't try wetting it with juice, so will go do that.
One more question before I get to that point, is, as this wick is stiffer than the rayon, how long do you cut the wick say for a RM2, or cyclone, so it will bend down to touch the deck, and not want to straighten back up?

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Keep in mind there will be a breaking in period for RxW for taste and absorption. Mine takes about 1ml or so to break in. I have heard others to take longer. As Rudy pointed out, cut tip on an acute angle and screw it into the coil. Be sure to screw with the direction the coil was wrapped. If it is a right hand coil, you screw it in to the left. The coil will actually grab it after you are into it and it will feed pretty easily. Also keep in mind not to cut the wick until you have screwed it into the coil.

Reactions: rudy4653

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
Ok, got it into the coil. Now, with the Rayon I cut the wick short to just reach the deck, and since the Rayon is pretty flexible when wet, the ends stay in contact with the deck. The RwX is stiffer so I'm assuming I need to cut it longer, so it will lay on the deck. I am wicking this on an RM2.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
Ok, got er goin. At first I was getting an odd taste, but after a few squonks that went away. Now I guess it's just giving it time to break in.
I put this on a Grand that I use a pretty dark colored juice in that gunks up a lot faster than the others, so will see how easily it cleans up.

Mommay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2014
Arkansas
I started using the ReadyXWick when I was using a couple of Nicoticket juices that were coil killers/gunners. Don't take your wick out when you clean it. Just blot off he extra, dry burn & go. If mine is really nasty, when I dry burn, sometimes I let it catch on fire and completely clean it. Just be careful if you have fragile insulators.

tobarger

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2010
NorthCoastOhio
1.7mm(2mm)"Slim"ReadyXWick
1/16"0.0625"1.59mm(PG) 5/64"0.0781"1.98mm(VG) ID coil - Recommended by RBA Supplies
16g(0.065"1.65mm OD) LuerLockNeedle - Verified by some users
1.5mm0.059" - Verified by some users
#50 DrillBlank).07"1.778mm - Best Size(ECF/MacTechVpr)

2.7mm(3mm)"Regular"ReadyXWick

7/64"0.1094"2.78mm(PG) 1/8"0.125"3.17mm(VG) ID coil - Recommended by RBA Supplies
3/32"0.0937"2.38mm - Best Tight Size(ECF/MacTechVpr)
2.5mm0.0984" - Best Loose Size(ECF/MacTechVpr)

From my vaping notes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread