Vape Canaveral, FL
20150529_224306.jpg

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Correct... I have to say one of the best things about using RxW is I only have to dry burn it once a week and if I am satisfied with my build, it lasts on average of about 6 months or longer... No daily rewicking of cotton at all. Don't miss those days at all. Love the simplicity of RxW.

+1 on as easy as it gets, +1 on it lasts forever.

Not really "thread" thru coil more like "screw" it in the coil. Cut end sharp angle so pointed, dip in juice to moisten, little squeeze to moisten end, then screw it thru in direction of coil wind.

I roll RxW in cling wrap, makes it easier to get started without cutting a point on it, easier to screw in.

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Now that you have it in place don't mess with it.
Just dry burn when needed depending on your juice. I do DIY unflavored so I only give it a dry burn about once a week. Dark, thick juices do more often. Keep pulsing until wick turns white again! :) If it flames up while dry burning, not a big deal. You'll be amazed on how nice and white it will get. Will look brand new.:thumb:
Sooner or later you will find yourself tempted to change to a fresh wick as force of habit...no need!! As mentioned before, you can run the same wick for months!:vapor:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
About Nextel (RxD) ceramic wicking, its flavor attributes, performance and maintenance...

Nextel's really amazing stuff rudy. Unless you run heavy pigment juice like baccers you don't build up much. Somethin' with a little NET in it might look nasty in days but don't hurt none. Not flow, not taste. If you can't live with it for a few days no worries. Just dry burn it 'till you can easily wiggle it free and torch it (never do less than a month myself, or many). Coil there being more of a criteria. If it starts to build up too fast you're losing some of the surface oxidation I feel (along with the crud burn off). Then its a little bit of a hotter vape as the coil loses integrity (insulation, exposure to erosion and electron jump). You can taste it, feel it in flow and in vapor output. Time for coil change but RxD remains dead on.

Then you want to switch out a flavor, just run a couple VG fills in that dripper, drop the new one in and in a fill or so you're back in business. Resulting flavor is neutral, not colored, unvarnished. Even faster if you gave a quick dry burn and rinse. The dry burn taste, residual of the burn off getting sucked back into the wick with cooling, is usually dispensed with in the course of a single dripper fill. I .....ed and moaned about that with Nextel at first. Then it hit me. This stuff is like an air plant. It's that absorptive. If it is for air, it must be for juice. And it is, awesome.

I love cotton for the flavor nuances it can achieve once it's broken in. The new recipe starts to dominate over the fresh linen taste I can't seem to cancel out. For a good day you can count on good quality directional cotton for great flow and flavor. For the long haul consistent vape, darn ceramic just can't be beat. Precisely why we use ceramic to cook on…for its universality.

Good luck all.

:)

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
Going on 3 days with the RxW on two RM2's, and so far haven't found anything I really dislike about the RxW. I did notice that with one juice that had a slight nutty flavor on exhale, and a slight sweetness to it that I liked, the nutty flavor is gone. May have to up some of the tobacco flavoring the next time I mix this juice up to try and get the nuttiness back, Other than that the wicks are working good. I am getting about the same number of hits per squonk with the 1.7mm wick in a 1.5mm coil as I was with the rayon in a 2.0mm coil.
If I go ahead and RxW my other RM2''s, and Cyclone, and order 2 more feet of the wicking, I should be good for years to come, but I'll give these two a week or two of use, then make that decision. :)

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
You should keep in mind that all atty's weren't designed for use with RxW. Some play nicely and some don't. The secret to a good atty to use RxW in is one that drains exceptionally well. So far in my experience I have only found the O16's, Nuppins', and a 454 V2 Big Block that I modded myself to work for me with RxW. If you don't have an atty that drains 99% or better, I would not suggest using RxW in it if you are using it for out and about use. You will find out quickly it will be you that is wearing the liquid instead of you vaping it... It certainly is not without its own quirks...

Reactions: oplholik

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Going on 3 days with the RxW on two RM2's, and so far haven't found anything I really dislike about the RxW. I did notice that with one juice that had a slight nutty flavor on exhale, and a slight sweetness to it that I liked, the nutty flavor is gone. May have to up some of the tobacco flavoring the next time I mix this juice up to try and get the nuttiness back, Other than that the wicks are working good. I am getting about the same number of hits per squonk with the 1.7mm wick in a 1.5mm coil as I was with the rayon in a 2.0mm coil.
If I go ahead and RxW my other RM2''s, and Cyclone, and order 2 more feet of the wicking, I should be good for years to come, but I'll give these two a week or two of use, then make that decision. :)

Short answer: Higher temperatures with ceramic will increase flow often times pumping up these denser base notes. Not at the expense of the brighter or sweeter. They're simply better expressed in the vapor and so more dominant.

Check: That wind is not too tight. Allow greater flow and less restriction, increase diameter.

Recommendation: The wick/juice needs a higher power wind (more surface contact, density), more watts.

First, let me say it can take a while for Nextel to break in. In a tank it can keep improving for days even weeks for some juices. I believe it's the effect of expanding minute pathways in the media. Rather like recycled ceramic wicks for that very reason. It's in part why I don't think RxD's been as widely excepted is most folks don't use it long enough to see just how good it can get, like a well cured black iron skillet. But I've seen folks bounce the media after a day or so long before it could exhibit its best potential for flow and that's a shame. Second, I found that tight winds like 1/16 for 2mm or 2-3/8 for 3mm were on the tight side for flavor/density builds.

Wondered about muting myself tho early on before realizing this. Why such a difference of the same juice, I thought. And as with all the varieties of wicking I was comparing in my semi-formal study…were certain flavors attenuated? I discovered this is certainly so for some wicks and for a variety of reasons. However, I didn't find that to be the case for ceramic. Rather, that some natural and synth textures have a greater tendency to trap certain pigments due to their geometry. Nextel's not exempt as fiber separation is tight but it flows extremely well. Consider that if the flow is fast it would rather carry more. If a texture is going to be prone to agglomeration its more likely to impede dense globules and that's the very definition of darkly pigmented flavorings like tobacco or other organics which of course would include NET's, natural extracts, certain fruits, some nutty flavors and dense custards, etc. often sweet and/or sour. This forced me to seriously delve into DIY to confirm that postulate regarding neutrality and durability with juices like Johnson Creek, my primary consumer juice test subject which hasn't the greatest rep when it comes to gunking. At the end of the day turns out its more about ceramics neutrality as material than flow itself. I concluded cotton, as much as we rave about it, is the most likely to interrupt flavoring elements than anything else. It thoroughly needs to be broken in with PG/VG before anything is run through it or its starts to stick readily instantly. Think clean cotton shirt and coffee spills.

Conclusion, some juices shined in the bright, juicy, sweet, etc. notes with ceramic. Rather a few seemed to suffer under the heavy notes. But the bright side WERE previously part of the recipe and it turns out these were DOMINANT. So in your case perhaps that nutty base side is too low in the spectrum of detection for you. You might enjoy that flavor more with another media if you enjoy that accent. I discovered as part of my study that I'm ultra-sensitive to extremes of acid (I knew sour). Highly sensitive anyway. So those are my limits. Juices with those characteristics tended to overwhelm other flavorings regardless of media.

Not saying these observations and conclusions work for everyone. There's much variation in sensitivity and combinations. I focused on feedback from a broad middle. — The most of us that enjoy that 17.5W on a Kay, so the focus of perceived flavor could be isolated with respect to comparisons of the wind and wicking media. Point being that power extremes of both cool and warm impact taste significantly as most of us can readily appreciate with experience vaping. Ceramic works efficiently at all power ranges. It will make juices shine with complex compositions. We may taste flavors never before observed. They may end up pushing the base components of the recipe to the background. Perhaps where they were intended.

Good luck all.

Last edited:

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
Check: That wind is not too tight. Allow greater flow and less restriction, increase diameter.

Recommendation: The wick/juice needs a higher power wind (more surface contact, density), more watts.

I wind my coils on a Coil Master, 1.5mm mandrel, and they do not wind tight to the mandrel, so the ID is a little larger than 1.5mm.
I am using 30g wire, 8 wraps, coming out to 1.5Ω +/- .04Ω. This gives me a vape I like.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
So you're prolly comin' up to about 1.7mm anyway which is in the range of optimal for the 2mm of 1.7-1.778mm. Looser will get you more volume flow 'till there (use more power). RxD's a lifesaver for me 'cause there's no way I could keep all of mine goin' on cotton. Too much gear, too little time. Let us know how RxD works out in your rotation. Good luck op. :)

p.s. and btw @oplholik, congrats on wickin' 1.5, 1/16 ain't exactly easy for starts.

Last edited:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
+1 on as easy as it gets, +1 on it lasts forever.

I roll RxW in cling wrap, makes it easier to get started without cutting a point on it, easier to screw in.

When I read this, I stored it in my less than agile mind for when I made my next coil. I re-used my RxW wrapped as you described. It worked like a charm. You are a genius. I have re-used an RxW piece before but found it difficult and sometimes ruined the piece. Not this time. Rolled it up in the wrap and slid it into the coil; it was simple, smooth and the RxW was completely undamaged. I am sure that with a new piece it will be even easier.

Thanks,

CMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread