Explosion at my local shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownManVapes

Sep 24, 2015
so what happened was one of the owners was checking out a tuglyfe box mod clone that was brought in by a friend who frequently suggests products to carry. I know they only carry authentic so it seemed odd that he even considered it. Anyway he had no atomizer on it and he put a single battery (purple imren) and it immediately blows. Someone was next to him when it happened and damn near had his manhood blown off when it dropped. I use only regulated devices so I'm curious as to how this happens. Especially without having both batteries in the device.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
so what happened was one of the owners was checking out a tuglyfe box mod clone that was brought in by a friend who frequently suggests products to carry. I know they only carry authentic so it seemed odd that he even considered it. Anyway he had no atomizer on it and he put a single battery (purple imren) and it immediately blows. Someone was next to him when it happened and damn near had his manhood blown off when it dropped. I use only regulated devices so I'm curious as to how this happens. Especially without having both batteries in the device.

Broke Rule one - Never stick a Battery in a New mechanical device(or any device) without first fully inspecting.
I meter every Mechanical Mod I purchase, including Switch test, before installing a battery.

Now, BLOW - as in Exploded - Or violently Vented? o_O

Short started the split second the Battery +/- contacted the Mod.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
What's the point of mech mods? Is it a "cool" thing to do? Is it all about "chucking clouds"? Can't you chuck clouds with regulated devices? I really don't understand why or what the benefit is.
Reliability, for one. A mech mod is just a battery tube (or box) with an atomizer connection and a mechanical switch to complete the circuit. With no electronic parts to fail, there's very little that can "go bad" on a mech mod. As long as it's well cared for, a mechanical mod should last a hundred years or more. You're not likely to get that kind of service life from any regulated device with a Chinese-made PCB in it (or any PCB, for that matter.) I enjoy my regulated box, but I do have a couple of mechs in my arsenal in case of Vapeocalypse, and I plan to get at least a few more of each before that time comes...

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
What's the point of mech mods? Is it a "cool" thing to do? Is it all about "chucking clouds"? Can't you chuck clouds with regulated devices? I really don't understand why or what the benefit is.

Dependability, durability, simplicity, lack of restrictions, ease of maintenance, total control in the hands of the user, ability to customize the vaping experience beyond preset levels, and lastly, it's a different vape.

Mechanical

image.jpg

Regulated
image.jpg

pappcam

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2015
Canada
Simple, Complacency.
CR said it, meter it. Nobody has x-ray vision, and dead shorts cant always be seen. Mechs should be respected much like loaded weapons, check and clear before doing anything else.

Sooo... put a loaded weapon in my mouth. Got it.

I still don't get it but I think my first guess may have been right. At my age I'm way past needed to be accepted as cool. Anyway, to each their own and your mileage may vary and all that stuff.

pappcam

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2015
Canada

BeerGolfClouds

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2014
Orange County, CA, USA

I still don't get it but I think my first guess may have been right. At my age I'm way past needed to be accepted as cool. Anyway, to each their own and your mileage may vary and all that stuff.

VHRB wasn't responding to your post, he was responding to the OP. Mech mods, in educated hands, are nowhere near "loaded weapons". Also, with the advent of 200w+ regulated mods and subtanks, mech mods seem to have lost their "cool" factor with the hipster types.

In all reality, a mech mod is one of the best tools an experienced vaper can have in his box. They are the ultimate in reliability, the vape can be infinitely customized based on your atomizer and build, and they just plain look and feel good in your hand.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
There really are a number of reasons to like mechanicals. To my mind, the key is simplicity. It's also a challenge to build your atomizers well, so they vape where you want them to, when used on a mech; you can't just push buttons and bulldoze your way through. In truth, though, they are now become a niche market. Hobbyists like them, the kind of people who enjoy futzing around with coils and such. They are required for use in cloud competitions also. And because they are, all the "clouds, bra" kids who want to blow cloud because it's cool want one because their local hero uses one. That gets people hurt. I don't like it insofar as it's bad for vaping in general, but insofar as it's Darwin in action, I strongly support this. The people who know what they're doing don't blow themselves up. The people who blow themselves up don't know what they're doing.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md

:blink:
I'm 62. Started Vaping to prevent to premature Death and improve health. I rarely ever see another Vaper and never Flaunt my gear.
I've never been a Cloud chaser, though my X cube/TFV4(contest win) Can get insane.
Even with 2 Dozen Mechanical mods, I rarely Vape below .8ohm and that will not Stress a Battery.

Per your comments, I worry even a Regulated Mod may be beyond your safe understanding. :oops:

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
Naw,

Mechanical =

standard.jpg

Regulated =

standard.jpg

(Photos used with permission, LOL)

Whatever floats your boat or lights your wick. To me, screwing on a atty to a regulated mod is just a bit boring, but some like the ease of use and simplicity. Its all good, as long as you know what you are doing.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Dunno. To each their own, I guess. I've been using mechanicals daily for over 4 years. I've never had a mod get hot, auto-fire, or had to toss one out into the yard. But I took the time to learn things like Ohm's Law, safe battery discharge rates, proper coil building, and basic mod and atty maintenance. I don't own a regulated mod, and have no intention of owning one in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread