Not open for further replies.

rangerrobin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Northern California
Hello,

I'm a new owner of a previously loved Reo LP and looking for a little help.

I'm using brand new AW IMR 18650s and my builds are .5 ohm. The firing seems weak compared to my regulated devices. The device has been cleaned and maintained as recommended.

I've watched tons of videos where folks are pulling huge clouds from the same devices, batteries and builds.

Is there something I should be doing differently?

I appreciate any direction you can provide.

Thank you kindly.

element77

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Atl, Ga
Hi Robin and welcome!
I get very different experiences from regulated to non-regulated devices.
I find an initial lower powered hit on mechanical mods vs the same full throttle hit every single time on a regulated device.
My REO however catches right up to the same vape as regulated in a couple toots.
My builds are .7-.8ish

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Maybe tell us a little about your setups for comparison. Specifically...

* what atty are you using on the reo?

* what atty are you used to previously on the reg device?

* what power setting(s) are you used to with the reg device(s)?

* have you used mechs before?

Variations of these things can really throw off an apples to apples comparison.

rangerrobin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Northern California
Thanks for the warm welcome! :)
I might suggest cleaning the contacts with some rubbing alcohol and then applying some Noalox or Deoxit Gold. Those usually help me out quite a bit. Good luck and welcome to REOville!
Did that 1st thing! :thumb:
Maybe tell us a little about your setups for comparison. Specifically...

* what atty are you using on the reo?

* what atty are you used to previously on the reg device?

* what power setting(s) are you used to with the reg device(s)?

* have you used mechs before?

Variations of these things can really throw off an apples to apples comparison.
I currently have four bf atties: Hastur, Vector, Marquis and the Velocity Mini.
What I use on my regulated devices: Tugboat, Steamboat, Kennedy, Goblin Minis, Mutation RTA and Herakles.
My wattage varies depending on build and if in TC, but generally 28-30 watts.
I tried a dual battery mech before, but didn’t care for it. I’m giving sqounking a shot because my favorite vapes are my drippers, which is becoming a pain for chain vaping.
Welcome to the family Robin!!! Since this REO is previously loved, does it have the gold contact and spring? Also the new adjustable 510?
Yes! :D

Last edited:

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Thanks for the info on your gear.

So, a couple of thoughts...

* Your top fed drippers are all pretty airy, whereas really only the Vector of your bf atties is comparable (maybe the baby velocity, as well). If it's clouds you're after, vector wide open would be your best bet. It's not like you have a shwack of tootle puffer atties, though, so you should be able to get a lusty, rich vape off of your REO (just not likely as much as with, say, the Kennedy).

* Although a fully charged battery gets you 4.2V, you've got voltage drop and charge falloff to consider, so 3.7V is a pretty good assumption for voltage to the coil(s). That gets you 27-ish watts for power - a tad lower than you normally vape at on the reg devices. This would explain some of the performance fall off.

* Depending on some build parameters - notably, wire gauge and wraps (i.e., metal mass) - it might take a longer fire to heat the coil(s) up to what you have with the reg setups. You might want to take the build resistance down to .4 or so to decrease the heat ramp. Alternatively, you might want to use a higher gauge wire (lots of ways to get to .5ohms) to get closer to the "instant on" you're getting in the reg world.

rangerrobin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Northern California
@Papa_Lazarou - Thank you for explaining this in a way I can understand! I have thicker gauge and will try that, as well as a .4 build and report back. :2cool:
....and if you haven't done it yet
unscrew the negative spring screw, clean the hole and screw with alcohol, apply Noalox or DeOxit
Being a used REO, it may not have been done in awhile.
Brand new install and clean.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Unless I skimmed past it, I don't think you said how you're reaching 0.5 ohms.
Me, I like an insta-hit - more important to me than monster clouds. I want some vapor, and lots of flavor, but if there's a heat-up delay, it bugs me.
So my builds run "lean". I tend to go for about 0.4 to 0.5, and often it's a simple dual of thinner wire (5 wraps of 28, or 5.5 wraps of 27) getting me there. Less wire to heat up. That could be part of it if you've got big chunky builds...

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Actually, the advice was to go to a higher gauge (thinner wire - so something like 28g). As Train pointed out above, it heats up more quickly.

Buuuut... if you're happy with the 26g in your latest builds, hey, fill your boots.

Note that going below .4 or thereabouts means more maintenance - cleaning the contacts, applying deoxit gold more regularly. A .2 ohm build is doable, but it gives you little headroom in terms of a short and make sure your batteries have a good max amp draw rating. Factor on pulling about 20+ amps, so with safety margin, you're going to need something rated very high.

Reactions: rangerrobin

rangerrobin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Northern California
You didn't mention which battery. An AW 1600 is more powerful than a AW 2200 or even a AW 3000 it may have more to do with that than anything else. the 1600 pushes 24 amps where as the 2200 and 3000 pushes 20 amps.
Oh, I didn't know that, thanks! I thought the higher mah batteries were the ones to get, so the batteries are 2200. I'll get some 1600s pronto. :2cool:

Last edited:

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
Welcome Robin to Reoville! As you can see, you've just inherited a helpful, fun gang that is always ready to help. Share your findings because we are always learning.

BTW, small world. We share the same name and county. I live in the Guerneville area. Lucky or what: So. Co. AND a Reo!

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread