CASAA: New study confirms that chemicals in electronic cigarettes pose minimal health risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Default CASAA: New study confirms that chemicals in electronic cigarettes pose minimal health risk

PHILADELPHIA, Aug. 8, 2013/PRNewwire-USNewswire -- E-cigarette users can breathe a little easier today. A study just released by Professor Igor Burstyn, Drexel University School of Public Health, confirms that chemicals in electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) pose no health concern for users or bystanders. This is the first definitive study of e-cigarette chemistry and finds that there are no health concerns based on generally accepted exposure limits.

E-cigarettes are devices that heat a nicotine solution to create an aerosol (called “vapor”) that the user inhales, similar to smoking a cigarette. They are used as a low-risk substitute for smoking by millions of former smokers, and their increasing popularity seems to account for the current downward trend in smoking in the U.S. and some other countries. While experts agree that the risks posed by e-cigarettes are significantly less than those posed by smoking, there had been some debate about how much lower the risk was.

By reviewing over 9,000 observations about the chemistry of the vapor and the liquid in e-cigarettes, Dr. Burstyn was able to determine that the levels of contaminants e-cigarette users are exposed to are insignificant, far below levels that would pose any health risk. Additionally, there is no health risk to bystanders. Proposals to ban e-cigarettes in places where smoking is banned have been based on concern there is a potential risk to bystanders, but the study shows there is no concern.

This was the first study funded by the by The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives (CASAA) Research Fund. CASAA, the leading consumer advocacy group promoting the availability and use of low-risk alternatives to smoking, is an all-volunteer, donation-funded organization. CASAA President Elaine Keller said of the study, “Over the years, there have been a lot of small studies of e-cigarette liquid and vapor, but those studies were either ignored or misinterpreted. Those that showed even the slightest contamination were used for propaganda by those who object to e-cigarettes because they look like smoking. We realized that an expert review was needed to give an unbiased explanation of the available scientific evidence for our membership and policy makers. We reached out to our membership and they enthusiastically donated to make it possible.”

[FONT=Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif]Read full story >[/FONT]

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
This wasn't a test of e-liquids. It is a review of "over 9,000 observations about the chemistry of the vapor and the liquid in e-cigarettes." Meaning, he took the plethora of existing research and analyzed it to determine what the "chemicals," "toxins" and "carcinogens" really meant regarding health risks.

Reactions: subwayaznm

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
This wasn't a test of e-liquids. It is a review of "over 9,000 observations about the chemistry of the vapor and the liquid in e-cigarettes." Meaning, he took the plethora of existing research and analyzed it to determine what the "chemicals," "toxins" and "carcinogens" really meant regarding health risks.

Gotcha...

-----

ZeroDisorder

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
Oklahoma
Read it all. I didn't look at the specific sources I read. He's primarily comparing it to occupational work area exposure limits, which is a pretty good comparison. The air I breathe at a metal manufacturing area at work is far more harmful than vaping.

He also suggests manufacturers do testing on their products, which should be done already

Last edited:
I don't think it would have to be specific to any e-liquid. That MIGHT come next as people move further into the e-cig community and move away from analogs. If there are already cheap knock-offs of the batteries and the like, then I am certain that liquids will also eventually become not only more dangerous to the user, but to the general populace as well.

I am hoping this doesn't become the case, but let's look at reality and face facts. Things can and do happen. Flip side of the coin is usually not pretty and I'm hoping that CASAA can at least help prevent this.

lopemac

Feb 17, 2016
Unfortunately our senators and other representatives don't care about facts. They mostly care about money. I've signed up with CASAA and sent out emails to senators and their canned replies show that they dont care. I received a reply email today from Hawaii Senator Brian Schatz who supports the FDA's efforts in treating vaping as tobacco products. He also seems to think there has been no testing done on vaping devices and juices. I replied back informing him that, that is not the case. Probably fell on deaf ears. Senators just keep saying they will keep our thoughts in mind. Not very reassuring. I will keep fighting for vaping though. People deserve safer options to smoking and making those options costlier and more difficult to acquire is not justified.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
Unfortunately our senators and other representatives don't care about facts. They mostly care about money. I've signed up with CASAA and sent out emails to senators and their canned replies show that they dont care. I received a reply email today from Hawaii Senator Brian Schatz who supports the FDA's efforts in treating vaping as tobacco products. He also seems to think there has been no testing done on vaping devices and juices. I replied back informing him that, that is not the case. Probably fell on deaf ears. Senators just keep saying they will keep our thoughts in mind. Not very reassuring. I will keep fighting for vaping though. People deserve safer options to smoking and making those options costlier and more difficult to acquire is not justified.

we dont like playing Debbie Downer and yet you are so right on, we need to find a way to shock the ....e for our cause!
I get downed out too...been there, already had that Tee Shirt...canned responses and even personal ones show they dont have a clue..and often dont have a brain either. Facts require thought and decisions.IF you're so fortunate to have a representative capable of these, let us know.
Meantime, 100 heads are better than one. CASAA needs perhaps to be outrageous, to be attention grabbers. Other "Activist" groups over the years have done this, from A to Z as far as making noise. IN the old days of anti war and anti wall street demos, we might take a lesson...see what got the spotlight, and lets do it again.

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2016
USA
Good deal that you're up to the necessary fight; same here and you gave me an idea.
I just joined CASAA and haven't written any emails as yet. But I think what I'll do this week when I do. Is attach a Study or two for proof backing my belief.
So that way they can ignore if they choose, however in all that's right. They can't state that they did know that there was evidence of the benefits of Vaping verses Smoking.
Thanks for lending me that thought through your words.
Vape on and enjoy the journey:)

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2016
USA
I don't think it would have to be specific to any e-liquid. That MIGHT come next as people move further into the e-cig community and move away from analogs. If there are already cheap knock-offs of the batteries and the like, then I am certain that liquids will also eventually become not only more dangerous to the user, but to the general populace as well.

I am hoping this doesn't become the case, but let's look at reality and face facts. Things can and do happen. Flip side of the coin is usually not pretty and I'm hoping that CASAA can at least help prevent this.

Good point, all the more reason to beware of where you purchase your eLiquids and the Flavors from. Good thing we're in an Election year, because maybe they will be more willing to at least hear our side out. We are a good percentage of Voting America;) Electoral College yeah; I get it, but they want our Vote. So Voters voice be heard. So WE can Vape on the American way; FREE
:headbang:

California/girl

May 17, 2019
May I ask what data did you provided the senator?

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread