Basen Black 40A 3100mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...shame on you Basen, a 10A battery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These cells were donated for the purposes of testing. Thank you! To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Disclaimer
    The statements, conclusions, and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have elected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

I image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

A note regarding current ratings and my testing
    If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuous. Otherwise they would have listed the current rating with two numbers as other companies have done. Or they would have labeled the rating on the wrap as "pulse" or "burst". Battery buyers should not have to hunt down what the number on the wrap means. I will be testing batteries at the rating listed on the wrap and pointing out when they fail to meet that listed rating.

Bottom Line
    In my opinion this is a 10A cell. Its appearance and performance are identical to the 10A LG MJ1. Its temperature rose to 104°C/219°F at only 15A! Testing was aborted after doing the first 15A discharges. To rate this battery at 40A is truly shameful behavior by Basen. Imren and Efest did the same thing with their high capacity cells.

15A Basen vs MJ1 Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.png

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18350 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Safety Grades -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum
    26650 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum

jstrong

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 7, 2014
    Virginia
    2 of the B&M's near me sell these to people to put in a mech mods :shock: I have got into a few arguments in both stores that these were not 40A batteries but probably only 20A at best because there isn't a stable 40A on the market and they of course shun me away. It really is eye opening seeing all these tests and for reviewers and shops to still sell these batteries and not caution people with safety. I really feel B&M's aren't very educated about anything and the bottom line is money and not safety. One day someone is gonna blow their face off and a law suit is gonna happen because these shops don't take time to educate themselves and their employees.

Could your source for the Basen's have given you counterfeits ?

I have two sets of these from b&m who order them directly from Basen in China.

First set I bought the wrap claims 3100mAh @ 40A. Does not say Pulse or Cont.
    Second set the wrap claims 2800mAh @ 80A (insert laugh). It states 80 is pulse rating.

Both sets I have used as low as 0.08 - 0.15 in a few tube mechs and even a noisy cricket @ 0.4 - 0.7

Never has either set got "uncomfortably" or noticeably warm / made me worry about them, even during hour long chainvaping.

Should I be putting these away and just using my 25R's for now?

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    What would be the point in counterfeiting a battery that is a re wrap of another manufacturers cell?

There really is no telling what cell or what quality cell is under the wrap until it is tested, could be yours are a different cell altogether.
    That is the problem with 're wraps' never know what cell you're gonna get under the wrap.

Odd we call them re wraps when most if not all are bought bare by the companies that wrap them & make erroneous amp claims.

Reactions: KenD

VapieDan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 30, 2013
    Flint, Michigan, United States
    Wow, you have to ask what the hell these manufacturers/suppliers are thinking. Anyone dripping with a mech would think these were prime batteries. When are they going to learn that over rated batteries exploding are part of the problem.
    doh.gif

That is part of the problem. We are not getting feedback about these incidents. Is it poor battery quality? Damaged batteries? Misuse of Hybrids. They just do a flash propaganda story and then nothing more is heard. IF we knew for sure over rated batteries were part of the problem some pressure would be placed on the manufacturers.

Reactions: Marc411

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Could your source for the Basen's have given you counterfeits ?

I have two sets of these from b&m who order them directly from Basen in China.

First set I bought the wrap claims 3100mAh @ 40A. Does not say Pulse or Cont.
    Second set the wrap claims 2800mAh @ 80A (insert laugh). It states 80 is pulse rating.

Both sets I have used as low as 0.08 - 0.15 in a few tube mechs and even a noisy cricket @ 0.4 - 0.7

Never has either set got "uncomfortably" or noticeably warm / made me worry about them, even during hour long chainvaping.

Should I be putting these away and just using my 25R's for now?

Mine were sourced from a vendor who "gets them direct". I found out yesterday that there are two versions of the 2800mAh and 3100mAh Basen's. The other version of both are on their way to me now.

If yours aren't getting hot, and you're not having any problems, it sounds like you could keep using them. I can't give any definite answers though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread