Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Unless I missed something only one No was voiced and the majority were silent. So the majority of OUR REPRESENTATIVES don't even have a clue what was being discussed. And the discussion Never Touched on the Prohibition that it supposedly contains. All I got from those with doubts on the bill was the Typical We Don't Know. So these folks Still Believe The Earth Is Flat and they are representing Us? Really? Granted I am not in or from Fla but If this was in anyway representative of how govment is supposed to work, OMG! We are Offically in the World Of Shi*.
Just Sayin'

The most obscene of legal principles I've ever heard has overtaken us…"government interest". As if. It seldom is, in us.
peace-quote.jpg

Good luck all. :)

J MacLeod

Unregistered Supplier
Jul 21, 2011
Florida USA
www.wizardlabs.us
Where are we with this now ?
It has passed the Health Quality Subcommittee.
It is now referred to the Business and Professions Subcommittee.
Looking at the timeline of some of their other bills, HB 1143 should be getting added to their agenda within the next two weeks.

If it passes that subcommittee it will move on to the Health and Human Services Committee last.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
This abomination should be killed, but here it stands, passed Jan 16, 2016 by the HQS…

Florida House of Representatives - Bill Vote

Consent comes from an integrity of legislative consensus for which language, in its authenticity, provides its indispensable force and purposes. Without this law may only evolve amorphous and pliable in its objectives, the unlawful expression of arrogant autarchy.

Since the remaining committees tasked to review the subject bill have only the authority with respect to its enforcement, I don't see how there would be further consideration as to the legislative and constitutional basis of the bill's propositions. Not familiar with FL process but it would not come as a surprise to see this bill as speedily submitted to the floor and as quietly voted upon to make it law as it stands. Never mind that the last time there was such a taking of the individual right it took years and a constitutional referendum to produce the current statute. It in no way or form gives the state Congress the right to expand its scope and purposes per my plain reading.

Florida's citizens are frightfully uninformed as to the ramifications of this legal leap. For one, it effectively defers to the federal government as the tier of authority (FDA, etc.) to define (by abdication) the ultimate shape and form of vaping business within the state. Outlawed, an independent e-cigarette industry in FL with one swift semantic wave of the hand. That's not in the FL constitution either. Few of our lawgivers thereafter will even wonder when or how nicotine became tobacco or vaping the equivalent of smoking without combustion. But I'd wager that in short order others will quickly follow suit.

The agenda has changed folks from one of burdening us in regulation to the ban, effectively prohibition. At the state level, to catch up no doubt with imperatives already decided upon in Washington. Florida it would appear is the chosen example.

Our problems are not limited to vapor or tobacco. We are being used just as in the past. This is no longer the Florida government I once respected and expected to defend us.

Good luck all.

:)

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
If you go to Calendar for 3/15/2016 - The Florida Senate you can create an account where you are able to tag specific bills for tracking. If it rears its ugly head again, you can be notified by email. It's under the "tracker" tab.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
You have this legislative session. If it comes back it will be in 2017.

Thanks for the news Daddy. Not familiar with the rules of the respective chambers. Was there some "ticker", timeframe or other stipulation that was exceeded? Do you know how that works?

In any case, thank you!

Good luck. :)

Reactions: Daddy

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
Thanks for the news Daddy. Not familiar with the rules of the respective chambers. Was there some "ticker", timeframe or other stipulation that was exceeded? Do you know how that works?

In any case, thank you!

I haven't followed this particular legislation that closely, but in order for a bill to become law it must be proposed and sponsored then pass a series (usually 3) of committee hearings and then is open to a floor vote. During the committee hearings members of the public may testify before the committee in favor or against specific proposed legislation or parts of the proposed bill - for example a vaper could have testified before the committee in favor of the bill but urged the committee to remove the vaping language from the bill. Once on the floor the bill is debating openingly among the members of the respective chamber and voted on, usually the same day as the debate. If passed the bill is sent to the other chamber and the process pretty much repeats itself.

If I am not mistaken this particular bill only passed through one committee hearing before being killed - killed means the bill was not brought up again during the current legislative session effectively killing the bill by not allowing follow up committee hearings or the floor debate/vote.

In order for this to come up again, the bill will have to be proposed and sponsored and sent to committee to begin the entire process again next legislative session, which begins in January 2017 I believe.

Reactions: B2L and LaraC

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
I have also heard that a vaping ban is being added to the Medical Marijuana initiative on the ballot in November 2016. The wording on the ballot is such that if you vote FOR Medical Marijuana you are also voting FOR a ban on vaping.

I have not personally read this proposal anywhere but I have heard from my local B&M owner that it is so, and he is usually spot on with vaping legislation, so I find him reliable.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I have also heard that a vaping ban is being added to the Medical ......... initiative on the ballot in November 2016. The wording on the ballot is such that if you vote FOR Medical ......... you are also voting FOR a ban on vaping.

I have not personally read this proposal anywhere but I have heard from my local B&M owner that it is so, and he is usually spot on with vaping legislation, so I find him reliable.

Well then we will really have our hands full this election cycle. But a good opportunity to clean house of the deviously inclined regulation lovers. Let's start tagging them now!

Reactions: B2L and Daddy

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
And current session end Mar 11, I believe. Gotcha. Thought it was longer. Is for 2017.

Thx and good luck. :)

I'm having a hard time finding a schedule to see when exactly they come back. There probably is a limited summer and fall session with this being an election year, but I would not count on this being proposed and going through the motions again until after the election.

Reactions: LaraC

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
Well then we will really have our hands full this election cycle. But a good opportunity to clean house of the deviously inclined regulation lovers. Let's start tagging them now!

Indeed. I find myself in a peculiar spot with this current legislature. I am somewhat active in multiple political schemes that often have the same players on different sides. I find myself positively pushing a particular Senator for one piece of legislation and then find we are on opposite sides on others. I've only been in FL for 4 years and find the political landscape challenging at times.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I'm having a hard time finding a schedule to see when exactly they come back. There probably is a limited summer and fall session with this being an election year, but I would not count on this being proposed and going through the motions again until after the election.

Calendars - The Florida Senate

Committee's only? That's what I gather.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Indeed. I find myself in a peculiar spot with this current legislature. I am somewhat active in multiple political schemes that often have the same players on different sides. I find myself positively pushing a particular Senator for one piece of legislation and then find we are on opposite sides on others. I've only been in FL for 4 years and find the political landscape challenging at times.

We've had a huge influx of folks from all over the country. It's affected the political and philosophical demographics. Also, as we can plainly see we've contracted the common infectious predilection for oppressive regs. But FL has a long track record of preempting (local) authority for itself on contentious and significant issues since the Regan era. Particularly as regards smoking and tobacco. So it puts the possible ne'er do wells in a tight little circle of a bullseye.

Good luck and aim right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daddy

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
We've had a huge influx of folks from all over the country. It's affected the political and philosophical demographics. Also, as we can plainly see a predilection for oppressive regs. But FL has a long track record of preempting authority unto itself on contentious and significant issues since the Regan era. Particularly as regards smoking and tobacco. So it puts the possible ne'er do wells in a tight little circle of a bullseye.

Good luck and aim right.

Yes, Florida has a wide range of folks from all over the country.

What confuses me the most is how people in particular political groups can argue so vehemently amongst themselves and then wonder why nothing gets done.

I follow a wide range of political issues in Florida from firearm rights, water quality (we live on the St Lucie river) to vaping. In every single group you have people who you would think are totally against you. In the environmental stuff I've seen flat out smear campaigns against members who are working towards the same goals, clean water. The firearm groups are full of people who claim "it's better then where I came from" and settle on poor legislation or sacrifices. The vaping community is full of the "do you really need to blow clouds bro?" people.

I swear if people would stick together under good leadership things would really get done down here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread