Status
Not open for further replies.

crashtestjeep

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wilmington, NC
www.myspace.com
I have issues from a prior (extremely severe) car accident, but no new cavaties, but a crack they may have very well already been there from said wreck has become very noticeable....I cannot blame it on vaping tho bc I honestly dont know if it was already there before and just didnt notice or it got worse over time. I had to get almost all of my molars crowned due to damage from wreck except this one and now I am noticing the crack and it getting worse.

Vaping can cause dry mouth and dry mouth CAN cause damage, so I usually drink plenty water and suck on sugar-free hard candy to prevent any damage.

On a positive note, I used two tubes of rembrandt brand tooth paste -its exspensive but my teeth have remained VERY white since. I even notice coffee stains while drinking coffee and brush them away! Never noticed the huge difference as a smoker.

I have vaped since June 2009

Last edited:

AlphaTau99

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Hot Springs, Arkansas
I'm going on about a month now, and had some pretty nice gum damage in my bottom front teeth. While they've recovered nicely, I'm pretty sure I remember my dentist saying that the process can't be totally "reversed." However, they *can* heal fully, recover somewhat, and get strong again; just not to the point had you never smoked. In other words, the sooner one quits smoking, the better. I believe it's similar to your lungs: they can heal and recover, but they'll never be like they would have had we not smoked in the first place.

Xanax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
East Coast
I never had any problems from smoking, but I had a small dot that 6 months ago my dentist wanted to watch, fast forward 3 months and it's a cavity that needs to be filled asap, although I can't really predict that if I HADNT started vaping it would already have needed filling by now too. I do associate the cavity growing quicker with vaping, my dentist doesn't though. There was a thread about this exact thing, a rather long thread in fact. I'll try to get the link for you

tribalmasters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2008
United Kingdom
I was just thinking the same thing after my dental surgery this morning and here I am at this thread! That link your be very useful as the google search has stopped working for me.

I have cut anything with sugar out of my diet apart from the odd diet coke at meal times at most once a day and the cavities are all fixed up, defore the surgery they didn't get any worse whilst I was vaping so there is hope!! My dentist had never seen a PV before so she couldn't help me much.

Having some tooth extractions soon and I have heard on here its best not to vape for 48 hours after to avoid dry socket! I'll be snuffing that day then :D

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
It's fairly well known that cigs play absolute havoc on your mouth as I've learned from personal experience.

Have any long-term vapors noticed any negative effects on their teeth? Or have any cigarette induced maladies such as receding gums reversed themselves (if that's even possible)?

My gums started receding after I quit smoking and started vaping.
Did vaping cause it? I can't say. Vaping is not the only thing we do.
But I never had problems with my gums in 35 years of smoking 2+ppd.

If you search the forum (in the lower left corner box), you will find posts in other threads. Several from people that left shortly there after. And many post that their teeth and gums improved dramatically.

Your experience will be your experience.

Murdock Ruml

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
Alaska
i know my teeth improved. teeth are whiter. gums have a healthy color to them and have started filling in around my teeth. i caused alot of damage from years or dipping. lost two teeth because of it, thankfully they were in the back. but yeah i a can tell drastic improvement. and i have been vaping and dip/ smoke free about a year

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
I've always been prone to cavities, whether smoking, vaping or not; ever since childhood I've had cavities. I even had my molars coated, did that help--No, and I do brush/floss often.

The biggest issue I see from vaping is dry mouth. Some people are prone to it while others are not. I've been using Biotine mouthwash and it's helped a bunch. They make other products like toothpaste, gel, etc. There's also suggestions on the thread quoted above.

There was a dentist that came in a while ago that vaped himself that seemed to think it was safe. I think it's easy to blame problems on the unknown but it's good to be aware of sudden changes.

I have had recent teeth problems but it was a tooth that was bothering me long before vaping. I continue to monitor it and I think the best thing to do is to keep your dentist visits up and practice good oral hygine.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My dental hygienist and my dentist both remarked that my gums were sealing to my teeth normally and the hygienist didn't know I was a smoker. She says that she can always tell a smoker because the edge of the gums next to the teeth are grayish instead of pink and mine looked like a non-smoker.

My gums puffed up and sealed to my teeth. She was amazed when I told here I'd been vaping only 6 weeks (at the time of the cleaning). She is going to encourage her brother to try vaping.

tribalmasters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2008
United Kingdom
Thanks Mickirette.

And tribalmasters. Sometimes I wonder how many people think I'm female on here... Lolol

Ohh no it must have been that lovely hair of yours! Mind you, I do bat for the other side hehe :D

Aanyway, I wonder if the combination of vaping causing a dry mouth and eating sugary food and drink would casue the cavities. What if there was no sugar in the diet would there be some in the vape? I'm sure its been answered in the other thread so I'll find it :)

Here is a great site to learn about teeth and gums with some info on how teeth decay and some good stuff about various dental issues and the things dentists can do Ask Doctor Spiller, A Dentist With over 30 Years Experience

It says there that even if the patient didn't brush ever, there would be no cavities if there was no sugar involved! Of course, the gums wouldn't be too happy with having not been brushed hehehe!!

tribalmasters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2008
United Kingdom
My dental hygienist and my dentist both remarked that my gums were sealing to my teeth normally and the hygienist didn't know I was a smoker. She says that she can always tell a smoker because the edge of the gums next to the teeth are grayish instead of pink and mine looked like a non-smoker.

My gums puffed up and sealed to my teeth. She was amazed when I told here I'd been vaping only 6 weeks (at the time of the cleaning). She is going to encourage her brother to try vaping.

I noticed the same thing too!! My gums look much better and the dentist say they are in good shape :) I must admit I am scared of the dentist so didn't go for a few years so when I was finally brave enough to jump in the chair I had already given up 2 years and I had a few cavities and some teeth cracked!! Now I am on the mend and not so afraid, the cavities are fixed and I have new fillings! When all the dental work is complete, she may even let me have them professionally cleaned :) In the meantime, I gotta keep chewing to keep the saliva flowing and keep up my no sugar diet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread