Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleOralFix

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
The last few days on and off I have had chest pains. Yes I am going to see a Dr about this. At first I thought maybe an anxiety attack but stress has gotten better the last few weeks and I am not prone to chest pains. The hardest and longest one hit me a few nights ago after vaping more than my normal all day. It went from 2am-6am. I was up all night. I tried to read in bed but the pain was distracting. It did finally let up. It was not horrible, but annoying and right under my breasts and hitting my spin. I was in hopes it was some kind of odd gas pain or something but that high... I know it is not heart burn (been pregnant 5 times and I know ever shape of that fun!)

So now I am thinking maybe it is my vaping. :( This would be tragic.

I have no heart conditions, I am 29 years old and thus I do not think it is an emergecy right this moment. Think I should set an appointment and vap a lot in hopes I can cause it and so the Dr can actually see it? Or?

Blessings,
lil

teardrop88

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
USA
I'm glad you are going to go see a doctor. Chest pains are nothing anyone should ever ignore. If you notice chest pain/tightness related to vaping, it could be any number of things (e.g. heartburn). What nic level do you use? Might suggest you cut it down your existing supply with VG or PG. Remember that nicotine is a stimulant that causes an increase in blood pressure and could be exacerbating a preexisting condition (already high blood pressure, etc.). Also, it could be an allergic reaction.

Regardless, I would not suggest you keep up the level of vaping just to get a diagnosis from your doc. It might be something serious. So I'd error on the side of caution and instead mention it to your doc and explain what e-cigs are and what is contained in the e-liquid, and that you noticed your symptons when you started using your vaporiser.

40oz

Mar 7, 2009
California
I definitely wouldnt go vaping like crazy before going to the doc. Im sure that it would jack your heart rate up and possibly make him think its the ecig even if it is something else. I would for sure let him know about your device and perhaps offer a demo but i wouldnt try to force something to happen through excess vaping. Just explain your symtoms as they are, and maybe do as others said and cut your nic level down a bit.

Please give an update, it worries us all when we hear one of our vapers is getting weird ailments.

dex3210

Apr 3, 2009
I am so glad I am not alone with these chest pains, I have a very tight chest at the moment and have never felt this bad in all the time I was smoking.

A couple of days ago I saw a private doctor in reference to a lung matter from years ago, he gave me a really good going over and stated that there is nothing wrong, lung function and blood pressure are all fine...so why am I in so much pain...even thinking of going back to smoking...was much better off!

Mohave

ECF Veteran
My goodness this sounds a lot like unstable angina, which can often be a close precursor to a heart attack. Maybe it is not, but please be sure to get a lipid panel (cholesterol levels testing the blood for heart disease) done right away and possibly a follow-up cardiac stress test if your doctor finds risk factors for coronary artery disease. It may very well be nothing, or at least not that problem, but if it is then sudden death can ruin your whole day. If you experience any numbness in your arm, neck, or shoulder, accompanied by chest tightness and/or lightheadedness or nausea, then don't wait for your appointment, get to the emergency room, and don't drive yourself. Seriously. Please.

BARENETTED

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2009
NEW JERSEY, USA
Please do not attribute chest pains to vaping. Since I quit analogs on January 5th, my wheezing and coughing have stopped, so have my heart palps. It could just be coincidence that yours started when you began vaping, but none of us is qualified to diagnose you over the net, even if we were an MD. Please go to your doctor and tell him what you are doing. It is for your own good! Feel better and good luck.:sleep:

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Heart Attack Symptoms and Warning Signs

"If you think you're having a heart attack, call 9-1-1 or your emergency medical system immediately.
Some heart attacks are sudden and intense — the "movie heart attack," where no one doubts what's happening. But most heart attacks start slowly, with mild pain or discomfort. Often people affected aren't sure what's wrong and wait too long before getting help. Here are signs that can mean a heart attack is happening:

Chest discomfort. Most heart attacks involve discomfort in the center of the chest that lasts more than a few minutes, or that goes away and comes back. It can feel like uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain.
Discomfort in other areas of the upper body. Symptoms can include pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
Shortness of breath. May occur with or without chest discomfort.
Other signs: These may include breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness

As with men, women's most common heart attack symptom is chest pain or discomfort. But women are somewhat more likely than men to experience some of the other common symptoms, particularly shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting, and back or jaw pain.

If you or someone you're with has chest discomfort, especially with one or more of the other signs, don't wait longer than a few minutes (no more than 5) before calling for help. Call 9-1-1... Get to a hospital right away."

I have had chest pains on and off for years. I find if I drink soda pop and belch the pains in my case go away. This last year, prior to vaping, they got so bad and frequent I saw my doctor had an EKG and a Stress Test, both came out fine, but the cardiologist informed me that if the pains became a problem to me then he could prescribe some medicine to alleviate them.

Ok, well I have some chest pains too, and I think I know why.

I recently ordered a 36mg E liquid, and without thinking, I started vaping like it was nothing, and probably vaped a good ml of it by the end of the day.

E cigs have never given me any problems, until today.

I think its the nicotine, because I had some slight pressure on my head, wasn't painful, but felt like my head was shrinking. I also felt very dizzy, and had a hard time concentrating on what I was doing half the time. A few times I would see flashes if I turned my head to quickly.

Then the chest pains started.

I am having them as I am typing this. I found this because I wanted to know what was going on.

However, I notice that when I swallow, It hurts.
Only when I swallow, do I get such a pain.

I'm 19 years old, this isn't something that ever happens to me, I never get chest pains unless someone literally punches me in the chest.

I think it might be the nicotine. Too much of it can cause this.
My heartbeats seem a little uneven, but that might be because I can't think straight.

AND DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT TO DO FOR THIS?

Everyone always says, "Go see a doctor right away!!"

Thats cool, but what happens If I can't see a doctor right away? and what exactly is my doctor going to do when I tell him I have chest pains that I think are related to nicotine? Is he going to cut my chest open and do surgery on me? probably not, and from what I am hearing, most doctors just tell you what it could be, and to come back if it keeps happening.

So no one knows what to do in an emergency situation?
I guess if you are having chest pains stranded on an island, you just die?

I am going to continue to stay up, because the pain is rather annoying, keeping me awake. If anyone has any good information, other than go see a doctor, let me know.

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Xtian, Please, don't be upset with everyone who says to see a doctor, because in reality a doctor or more specifically a cardiologist is the only one who will be able to determine what is really going on.

Also, as you have already learned, never vape the strong concentrations. 36, 24, 18, 16mg, IMHO, are only availabe to be cut with non-nic ejuice or non-nic DIY.

However, in answer to your question, here is a link Kate used to post:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/health-safety-e-smoking/3598-nicotine-safety.html
(Inside this thread in blue type there are many more important links that will assist you)

Last edited:

Chris From Cali

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
You know it's funny this post came up because I thought I was just being a cry baby, I have also had chest pains since I started vaping, not really bad, more on the left side than anything. Also if I smoke my Penstyle and take "fat drags" my chest will sometimes get really tight. I'm using 24mg nic leve, maybe I should step it down a bit. It doesn't always do it, just sometimes.

picello

Mar 25, 2009
Michigan
I have noticed dizziness and lack of concentration with the higher nics, but no chest pain. I suggest you stop vaping anything until these side affects stop.
Also I have noticed that at times I am not treating this thing like a cig, I mean to say I am holding it and vaping longer than I would a normal smoke, this leads to the dizziness. I have to remember to put it down.

milo

Mar 21, 2009
I don't think its the nicotine, people who use nicotine in other forms do not have this problem. I think its the liquid build up in the lungs.

I've been wondering the same thing. Sometimes when I inhale the vapor I get, for lack of a better way to explain, burning sensation in my lungs. It's very similar to smoking a really strong cigarette or cigar but different. I can't really express the feeling but have been wondering if it wasn't the lungs fighting back against the vapor whereas the smoke doesn't have that effect. I also get a sore throat from it sometimes.

I try not to inhale the vapor deep into my lungs but it doesn't seem to matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread