the most simple way to vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yusunoha

Mar 10, 2010
the Netherlands
firstly I want to say I'm a non-smoker, so I don't have any experience with things related to smoking and vaping.

secondly I'm creating this topic to ask for help regarding vaping. my mother is the only one in the family who's smoking, and it just keeps getting more expensive and troublesome with the year for her to keep smoking, so I thought she could give vaping a try.

but my mother is very bad with technology and things like that, so I'm looking for an e-cigarette that's simple to use, simple to refill and, if possible, low to no maintenance required.

there probably isn't an e-cigarette with no maintenance out there, so with that I'd like to ask the question if perhaps in the near future there might be an e-cigarette like that.

I do know there's simple throwaway e-cigarette which are basically an 1 time use type of thing, but I was hoping of finding an e-cigarette that could last for atleast a year before having to buy a new one.

sorry if it's all a bit confusing, if anything needs to be clarified, just ask and I'll try to answer as best as possible.

Yusunoha

Mar 10, 2010
the Netherlands
Halo cigalikes with prefilled cartos?

a friend used to use an e-cigarette like that, but he said his cigarette broke very fast.
though it was probably a cheap knock-off, but how long would you say an e-cig like that would last?

and how expensive would the cartridges be, if you'd have to buy new ones each time?

Reactions: bnrkwest

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I suggest not even trying the e-cig "cigalikes" (cigarette size battery devices). The batteries are too small, don't last long per charge, and basically a waste of money.

There are two types of starter setups she could try. One setup uses what is called an Ego battery, about the size of a cigar. The other setup uses a small battery box a little larger than a BIC lighter. The second setup would be more durable for the long term, but is slightly heavier and bulkier.

My%20Vape%202%20007_zpst1e620rm.jpg

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper
  • Typical starter setups recommended for a new vaper. Includes a video on the use of an eGo variable voltage battery/clearomizer and of the iStick and MVP mods.
Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder
  • From cigalike batteries, to eGo's, to mods. Another picture dictionary of terminology and form factors for beginning vapers. Includes videos.
Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices
  • A picture dictionary for beginners with descriptions of clearomizers, nano's, drip atomizers, bottom feeding mods, cartomizers, cartotanks, and RBA's (rebuildable atomizers). Includes video demos/reviews of all devices.
I admit there is a lot of information to go over and learn. However, the actual practice of vaping is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. There is plenty of information above, and plenty of helpful people here on ECF that are more than willing to help anyone who is having problems. Good luck.

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined. Below is information regarding beginning vaping. I would recommend to stay away from a tank to begin with. Cartomizers are very simple.
Might like to read:
Beginner | Guide To Vaping
ECigarette Academy: Essential Need to Know for New Vapers
One Stop Reference Shop For New and Experienced Vapers
The Vapers Table
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
(4) Good Starter Setups for a Beginning Vapor | E-Cigarette Forum
I was hoping of finding an e-cigarette that could last for atleast a year before having to buy a new one
Not sure this is possible. Nothing that I know comes to mind in a inexpensive configuration. The closest (near zero cost upkeep) would be an Eleaf Istick 40w TC with a magma RDA. This device is for mid to advanced vapers only, who know how to replace and build their own coils (2 ohm coil). You would have to learn DIY to keep the cost of liquids near zero.
How hard is it to get in to DIY liqiud?
Vaping has a huge learning curve in order to get it right. Suggest finding a local brick and mortar Vape shop and talk to those folks. Some shops will allow free vape testing of their liquids.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
firstly I want to say I'm a non-smoker, so I don't have any experience with things related to smoking and vaping.

secondly I'm creating this topic to ask for help regarding vaping. my mother is the only one in the family who's smoking, and it just keeps getting more expensive and troublesome with the year for her to keep smoking, so I thought she could give vaping a try.

but my mother is very bad with technology and things like that, so I'm looking for an e-cigarette that's simple to use, simple to refill and, if possible, low to no maintenance required.

there probably isn't an e-cigarette with no maintenance out there, so with that I'd like to ask the question if perhaps in the near future there might be an e-cigarette like that.

I do know there's simple throwaway e-cigarette which are basically an 1 time use type of thing, but I was hoping of finding an e-cigarette that could last for atleast a year before having to buy a new one.

sorry if it's all a bit confusing, if anything needs to be clarified, just ask and I'll try to answer as best as possible.

hi and welcome,
Just a quick question,
Does Mom WANT to switch/quit? If she is NOT motivated...
If you have buy in from Mom, try some of the Njoy bold or kings disposables.
Sometimes you need
to just plant the seed...

Cheers
I

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
A simple solution might also be an all in one device such as the eGo AIO. A quick Google search for the Netherlands (I'm in the US, just looking for something close to you) found The Pipeline Store (I can put the name in without an actual link the situation, can't I?) which has an item they call the Pipeline eGo AIO, which is simply a re-branding with their name of an item available here as the Joytech eGo AIO, which is a nice starter. It's easy to fill and maintain. Batteries may last through 300 charges, so depending how often it needs recharging and how much your mother uses it, it will last a while, but I doubt 1 year (OK maybe). It's relatively inexpensive so if it does require replacement it's not a large investment.

Good luck and hope you can find a solution for your mom that works.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Not appropriate for Simple Solutions

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The most simple way I've yet found is a sub-ohm genny on a mech.
:facepalm: Please fellow vapers. Let's use some common sense here.

Always keep in mind who you are giving your recommendations for. We're talking about "Mom" here.

Please don't be advising BRAND NEW vapers to use SUB-OHM MECHANICAL MODS. This is an advanced setup only for experienced and informed vapers. We don't want "Mom" to blow a hole in the roof of her mouth, now do we? A Genesis-style RBA is the last thing I'd recommend to a new vaper. No, I take that back, I would NEVER recommend a Genny to a new vaper. And yes, I'm quite familiar with Genny's.

:danger:

Last edited:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
. The other setup uses a small battery box a little larger than a BIC lighter. The second setup would be more durable for the long term, but is slightly heavier and bulkier.
Great setup, an eLeaf iStick 30 watt (mod or power source not much bigger than a bic lighter) with an Aspire Mini Nautilus (tank that holds the e-liquid). Videos below.
Picture of the Mini Nautilus on the iStick 30 watt (available in 4 colors)

4f4a37f5-cac4-47a0-94b9-31b2900fd6b6_zpsqab8njbe.jpg

Yusunoha

Mar 10, 2010
the Netherlands
hi and welcome,
Just a quick question,
Does Mom WANT to switch/quit? If she is NOT motivated...
If you have buy in from Mom, try some of the Njoy bold or kings disposables.
Sometimes you need
to just plant the seed...

Cheers
I

my mother has indicated that if the cigarettes get any more expensive here in the Netherlands than they already are, she needs to quit, but both the family and she herself knows she can't quit, because she has a mental condition where smoking actually helps her get more calm.

so quitting isn't an option, so that's why I thought of trying to find an alternative for her.

welcome to ECF @Yusunoha ... I noticed you joined this forum 6 years ago and are just posting now.

good luck

yup, I registed years back when I was also looking around, and I posted just now because I'm starting to look more into vaping.

and thank you all very much for all the information. with this I'm sure I can make a start and start looking for a beginning to vaping for my mother, hopefully she likes it and perhaps she can switch to that.

Yusunoha

Mar 10, 2010
the Netherlands
alright, after having spend most of the morning reading up on all the information, I think I'll probably start with a Joyetech eGo AIO, as that one seems the most simple to maintain and simple to use.

I do have a question about it though that I'd like to ask. in the discussion topic for the AIO I read that people have been having problems with the head burning out too quickly. it seems you need to learn the best way to use it otherwise you'll burn them really quickly, but I'd still like to ask the question about how long a head like that will last. I'll probably go for the standard head, which is the 0.6ohm coil head, and my mother smokes about 10-13 cigarettes a day. would that head last for a week?

in the topic they also discussed a bit about the Eleaf iJust Start Plus and the Innokin Endura T18 as altneratives, but I'll probably still go for the Ego AIO, unless someone has a reason why one of the others might be a better choice.

Marina2

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2015
USA
alright, after having spend most of the morning reading up on all the information, I think I'll probably start with a Joyetech eGo AIO, as that one seems the most simple to maintain and simple to use.

I do have a question about it though that I'd like to ask. in the discussion topic for the AIO I read that people have been having problems with the head burning out too quickly. it seems you need to learn the best way to use it otherwise you'll burn them really quickly, but I'd still like to ask the question about how long a head like that will last. I'll probably go for the standard head, which is the 0.6ohm coil head, and my mother smokes about 10-13 cigarettes a day. would that head last for a week?

in the topic they also discussed a bit about the Eleaf iJust Start Plus and the Innokin Endura T18 as altneratives, but I'll probably still go for the Ego AIO, unless someone has a reason why one of the others might be a better choice.
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the AIO. Super simple operation and a very satisfying vape.
  • Simple liquid chamber rather than a tank. Unscrew top to fill and to change the coil.
  • The stainless steel coils give great taste and excellent vapor production. A coil lasts me well over a week of use vaping about 10ml a day. A 5 pack of coils costs about 8.00 usd
  • Mouth-to-lung vaping suited to new vapers.
I never have a problem with burnt coils but I don't chain vape or take long, hard draws either. Always prime the coil well before use. Eventually, I experimented with enlarging the holes on the bottom of the coils using a nail to pry them open a bit. Just slightly larger (barely noticeable difference) gave me much better juice flow to the coils and the ability to take longer, more frequent draws, although it wasn't necessary for me to do that.

I haven't used the Endura or Ijust but they have separate tanks which take away from the simplicity. The Endura has a 1000 mah (smallish) battery compared to the AIO, 1500 mah. The Ijust appears to be more of a direct-to-lung, sub ohm device. I don't know how well or if it can be closed down for MTL vaping. Probably nothing wrong with them but I don't see how they'd be better for a beginner that's looking for the simplest device to operate. The learning curve of a device can make or break success for some and there's no denying that the AIO is the simplest of the three. The AIO doesn't sacrifice vape quality for simplicity, either. Taste and vapor production are excellent.

Good luck to you and your Mom!

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Either the AIO, or iStick & Nautilus set ups above would be perfect starter sets. You should get 2 sets. One battery will be in use while the other is charging to be ready to switch to when the battery she's using needs to be charged. She won't want to wait to vape because her battery is charging. 2 tanks will let her rotate 2 flavors of juice at one time. Vaping one flavor gets old quickly.

I'm a 61 yo "mom", vaping for 2 years as of August 1st this year. I had both of the Nautilus tanks in the beginning & they are very simple to use. There are 2 coils available for them. I recommend the 1.6 coil. It will cover a better range of battery powers than the other.
I also recommend getting the Hollowed Out tank for the Nautilus if you choose those. The Nautilus comes with a glass tank that breaks easily. The HO replacement tank is the solution it also makes it even easier to change coils & refill.
She's only smoking about 1/2 a pack a day which is really good, imo. She'll need a nic level that is the equivalent to that. I was a dedicated pac a day or more smoker when I switched to vaping. I started at the 24 mg level & stopped smoking the same day. That level satisfied my desire to smoke. At her 10 13 a a day she'd probably be good with 12mg nic if that is available for her there. If it's not, she'll just vape a little more than she was smoking, which is fine. The right flavor is important in the beginning, also. It has to taste good enough to her to make her brain prefer it over the taste of cigs. Don't assume it will be a tobacco flavor. "Tobacco" flavored juice might not taste like actual tobacco to her.
HTH, & good luck!

(Da Mom w/Hex Ohm's, Kayfun's & Magma's.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread