e-Cig ad on TV, nicotine needed for health!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altmed

Jul 20, 2010
S. California
I have no idea who this company is, and it IS one of those "Free kit" offers we're warned about, but it is in the media on a channel on Dish TV according to a friend who sent me this link...
http://www.smokeassist.com

It says, "It's the healthy alternative" & "The smoke you are exhaling is just water vapor".. "water vapor, not smoke", so have to wonder how they can do this on TV with some companies being harassed about their ads online???

It makes one wonder why some states are targeting certain companies, as well as the FDA???

This ad has been running on TV for quite a while.

Has anyone else seen this?

I have to wonder if this company is also getting the same treatment as some of these others... Says, "Must be 18 years old to purchase." under the "place order" button. The commercial doesn't seem to mention an age limit at all, yet they may do this if you order..

Says "free", but then with a purchase of cartridges at around $79, and I'm sure + shipping.

It looks like e-cigs are here to stay, so why are certain entities in the government wasting tax $$$ trying to fight e-cigs, when tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc. are known to have nicotine in them AND nicotanic acid or niacin or Nicotanamide or vitamin B3 - same thing!) is a known, necessary B vitamin? If so, in addition to the nightshade family, mushrooms, tuna, tamari, halibut, salmon, venison, lettuce, turkey, mustard, squash, peanuts, fennel, cantaloupe, etc. are at the top of the list nutritionally being listed by some sites as being highest in nicotanic acid.

So, are we going to ban these foods as well as the entire nightshade family? We'd have one VERY unhealthy population if we did!:unsure:

Yet food additives that contain even "nicotine" are OK according to some government agencies?

There are some interesting studies on the metabolism of nicotine from plants being converted metabolically to niacin or nicotanic acid...
http://www.jbc.org/content/235/12/3536.full.pdf 1960 study - Michigan State University...

INFLUENCE OF CERTAIN AMINO ACIDS AND OF NICOTINIC ACID UPON THE NICOTINE CONTENT OF TOBACCO LEAVES
NIH study...

It seems our bodies need nicotine at some level to maintain good health!

After much reading, I have to wonder if those that are supposedly "addicted" to cigarettes may not instead have a vitamin deficiency?

From reading a number of studies, some old, some newer, USDA & FDA funded, it seems that nicotine is some form is a necessary nutrient for mitochondrial and other health, such as is needed fr proper sleep, and of all things serotonin production....

Can it be any wonder that when the anti-smoking ads started that the use of Prozac, SSRIs and SNRIs was on the rise, and that syndromes such as CFIDs & Fibromyalgia or FMS were on the rise?

Seems to me that the whole attack on smoking started a whole new generation of illnesses.

The Merck Manual has some additional info that seems interesting at Niacin: Vitamin Deficiency, Dependency, and Toxicity: Merck Manual Professional

I don't agree that dietary tryptophan in a normal person's diet can compensate for a niacin deficiency, as many dietary sources high in tryptophan also increase acids that can flare up gout & other chronic pain problems, thus many people who are already in pain may avoid foods high in tryptophan, such as turkey, etc.

I also don't agree that pellagra is isolated to 3rd world countries any more, and may never have been, yet it is not tested for generally here in the US all that much.

It seems nicotine is necessary for a human's health, in one form or another, in yet one country (see my previous post) is considering banning the entire nicotania family of plants because it may give validity to e-cigarettes or even smoking? Again, these are plants like tobacco, peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, potatoes, and so on.

With the financial crunch in medicine, it seems to me that more problems are being created by making bans on natural substances, such as tobacco & e-cigs than were ever stopped, and the focus has been on smoke from cigarette smoking and not where it prolly should be, where nicotine is a necessary part of cell metabolism. eCigs, like the tobacco they are made from & foods that are high in vitamin B3 or niacin or nicotanic acid, etc. might just be necessary for health! eCigs seem to be no worse than eating tomatoes, tuna, potatoes, etc. and may just be the answer to those who don't tolerate those foods well, or who simply don't like them or need a supplement & who may not absorb this vitamin from foods like other people do, so switch foods or vape on an eCig... not really much difference. AND it may keep you out of the doctor's office too!

eCigs should have no more regulation than foods we eat!

Other articles suggest that smokers or us e-Cig users may do so, and be considered "addicted" to nicotine, when it seems clear that cancers that were associated with smoking analogs, as well as cig or e-cig cravings may be due to the inability to metabolize niacin or nicotinic/nicotanic acids from our diets...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1764355
Most pellagrins respond to niacin combined with a high-protein diet, although other concomitant vitamin deficiencies may prevent the use of niacin. Clinical pellagra should be considered in the differential diagnosis of patients with chronic alcoholism, malnutrition, and amino acid imbalance.

and to clarify... article on Necrolytic migratory erythema
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necrolytic_migratory_erythema
In this article, they say the cause is," unknown, although various mechanisms have been suggested. These include hyperglucagonemia, zinc deficiency, fatty acid deficiency, hypoaminoacidemia, and liver disease." That seems odd with the other research that has been done.

Cancers & other health problems associated with smoking seem to have little if anything to even do with smoking analogs even, although if one doesn't absorb nicotine through the gastric system, they might just have developed throat cancer from a vitamin or nicotine deficiency, and not from smoking at all.. It seems clear that eCigs might just be the answer for many of us who've been on NSAIDs, which are harsh at the very least, on the digestive system - at worst, they can cause the inability to absorb vitamins properly, including the very necessary nicotinic/nicotanic acids, which may account for the cravings, the same as food cravings when our bodies need a certain nutrient, or group of synergistic nutrients.

One more link of interest from the Linus Pauling Institute...
http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/niacin/
Shows the need of niacin (or the US RDA revised in 1998) to be 16mg/day for adult males, 14mg/day for adult females (& starting from age 14.) It is no wonder with our fast food & processed diets that many kids start smoking around this time of their lives - some even earlier. See the chart on the site. We start as babies needing about 2mg/day (mind you, the US RDAs were set up as average minimums), and this increases as we get older. Metabolic rates and quite a number of other variables need to be accounted for. The chart also shows that it takes 16mgs of tryptophan to meet the equivalent of 1 mg of niacin!

It also states that deficiencies can lead to a plethora of cancers (one study above shows that a deficiency particularly leads to cancers of the throat & mouth, NOT the use of nicotine products! I have to wonder if the cigarette companies knew this when the lawsuits against them were in session?) Those same cigarette companies may not have had access to these statistics, and they may have been actually helping these cancers, not creating them!

eCig companies, I hope, will be aware of these facts... It seems like some countries are trying to sell drugs & kill people.

I hope those at Smoking Everywhere & other companies are aware of these facts.

Just my $0.02:2c:

-Altmed

Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
There is a company developing medications that target nicotinic receptors...........

You can add to the list of ills that began besetting us as the campaign against smoking heated up:
Obesity
Hypertension
Diabetes

At one point, I gathered the information on smoking and obesity from 1965 to around 2007 or 2008. Around 1965, something like 42.5% of the population was smoking and 13.5% was obese. Lately about 21% are smoking and 34% are obese. When you graphed the data over the four decades, there was a direct correlation between the increase in obesity with the decrease in smoking rates. By 1987 44% of the population that had ever smoked had quit. I think that number is now up to about 60% of the entire US population or appx. 75% of the ever smokers. The crossover to where obesity became more prevalent in the population took place in the early 90s.

The mid 80's were when the anti movement really gained momentum and the indoor smoking bans started showing up. I'm not making an assumption of a direct relationship between decreased smoking and increased obesity. However, when you look at them graphed, you'd think you were watching synchronized swimming.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Not disputing your facts, but I think a more apparent correlation to the increase in obesity since the 60's can be made to the ever increasing fast-food establishments and additives in supermarket foods.

I wouldn't argue that point either. It's an entire cultural thing. I don't think the majority of Americans gets near the exercise that people got over the last forty years for a lot of reasons. Longer work hours make it so much easier to stop and pick up fast food, although I don't know how people can afford it. There's nothing cheap about the prices these days. Plus video games have also moved a lot of people from exercise to the couch.

One thing that is for sure, mortality is definitely catching up. In 2000, the quoted number was only 100,000 lower than the smoking number and, depending on where the government wants to assign numbers, it could have caught up already. They currently have 80% of the population in the ever smoker category and the primary push has been on attacking tobacco (maybe because that's where the money is).

If the money starts getting diverted to obesity, watch how fast mortality numbers grow in that sector.

jeanblackwood

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2010
Fort Pierce Florida
I have no idea who this company is, and it IS one of those "Free kit" offers we're warned about, but it is in the media on a channel on Dish TV according to a friend who sent me this link...
http://www.smokeassist.com

It says, "It's the healthy alternative" & "The smoke you are exhaling is just water vapor".. "water vapor, not smoke", so have to wonder how they can do this on TV with some companies being harassed about their ads online???

It makes one wonder why some states are targeting certain companies, as well as the FDA???

This ad has been running on TV for quite a while.

Has anyone else seen this?

I have to wonder if this company is also getting the same treatment as some of these others... Says, "Must be 18 years old to purchase." under the "place order" button. The commercial doesn't seem to mention an age limit at all, yet they may do this if you order..

Says "free", but then with a purchase of cartridges at around $79, and I'm sure + shipping.

It looks like e-cigs are here to stay, so why are certain entities in the government wasting tax $$$ trying to fight e-cigs, when tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc. are known to have nicotine in them AND nicotanic acid or niacin or Nicotanamide or vitamin B3 - same thing!) is a known, necessary B vitamin? If so, in addition to the nightshade family, mushrooms, tuna, tamari, halibut, salmon, venison, lettuce, turkey, mustard, squash, peanuts, fennel, cantaloupe, etc. are at the top of the list nutritionally being listed by some sites as being highest in nicotanic acid.

So, are we going to ban these foods as well as the entire nightshade family? We'd have one VERY unhealthy population if we did!:unsure:

Yet food additives that contain even "nicotine" are OK according to some government agencies?

There are some interesting studies on the metabolism of nicotine from plants being converted metabolically to niacin or nicotanic acid...
http://www.jbc.org/content/235/12/3536.full.pdf 1960 study - Michigan State University...

INFLUENCE OF CERTAIN AMINO ACIDS AND OF NICOTINIC ACID UPON THE NICOTINE CONTENT OF TOBACCO LEAVES
NIH study...

It seems our bodies need nicotine at some level to maintain good health!

After much reading, I have to wonder if those that are supposedly "addicted" to cigarettes may not instead have a vitamin deficiency?

From reading a number of studies, some old, some newer, USDA & FDA funded, it seems that nicotine is some form is a necessary nutrient for mitochondrial and other health, such as is needed fr proper sleep, and of all things serotonin production....

Can it be any wonder that when the anti-smoking ads started that the use of Prozac, SSRIs and SNRIs was on the rise, and that syndromes such as CFIDs & Fibromyalgia or FMS were on the rise?

Seems to me that the whole attack on smoking started a whole new generation of illnesses.

The Merck Manual has some additional info that seems interesting at Niacin: Vitamin Deficiency, Dependency, and Toxicity: Merck Manual Professional

I don't agree that dietary tryptophan in a normal person's diet can compensate for a niacin deficiency, as many dietary sources high in tryptophan also increase acids that can flare up gout & other chronic pain problems, thus many people who are already in pain may avoid foods high in tryptophan, such as turkey, etc.

I also don't agree that pellagra is isolated to 3rd world countries any more, and may never have been, yet it is not tested for generally here in the US all that much.

It seems nicotine is necessary for a human's health, in one form or another, in yet one country (see my previous post) is considering banning the entire nicotania family of plants because it may give validity to e-cigarettes or even smoking? Again, these are plants like tobacco, peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, potatoes, and so on.

With the financial crunch in medicine, it seems to me that more problems are being created by making bans on natural substances, such as tobacco & e-cigs than were ever stopped, and the focus has been on smoke from cigarette smoking and not where it prolly should be, where nicotine is a necessary part of cell metabolism. eCigs, like the tobacco they are made from & foods that are high in vitamin B3 or niacin or nicotanic acid, etc. might just be necessary for health! eCigs seem to be no worse than eating tomatoes, tuna, potatoes, etc. and may just be the answer to those who don't tolerate those foods well, or who simply don't like them or need a supplement & who may not absorb this vitamin from foods like other people do, so switch foods or vape on an eCig... not really much difference. AND it may keep you out of the doctor's office too!

eCigs should have no more regulation than foods we eat!

Other articles suggest that smokers or us e-Cig users may do so, and be considered "addicted" to nicotine, when it seems clear that cancers that were associated with smoking analogs, as well as cig or e-cig cravings may be due to the inability to metabolize niacin or nicotinic/nicotanic acids from our diets...

Pellagra and pellagralike dermatoses: etiology, di... [Semin Dermatol. 1991] - PubMed result
Most pellagrins respond to niacin combined with a high-protein diet, although other concomitant vitamin deficiencies may prevent the use of niacin. Clinical pellagra should be considered in the differential diagnosis of patients with chronic alcoholism, malnutrition, and amino acid imbalance.

and to clarify... article on Necrolytic migratory erythema
Necrolytic migratory erythema - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In this article, they say the cause is," unknown, although various mechanisms have been suggested. These include hyperglucagonemia, zinc deficiency, fatty acid deficiency, hypoaminoacidemia, and liver disease." That seems odd with the other research that has been done.

Cancers & other health problems associated with smoking seem to have little if anything to even do with smoking analogs even, although if one doesn't absorb nicotine through the gastric system, they might just have developed throat cancer from a vitamin or nicotine deficiency, and not from smoking at all.. It seems clear that eCigs might just be the answer for many of us who've been on NSAIDs, which are harsh at the very least, on the digestive system - at worst, they can cause the inability to absorb vitamins properly, including the very necessary nicotinic/nicotanic acids, which may account for the cravings, the same as food cravings when our bodies need a certain nutrient, or group of synergistic nutrients.

One more link of interest from the Linus Pauling Institute...
Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University
Shows the need of niacin (or the US RDA revised in 1998) to be 16mg/day for adult males, 14mg/day for adult females (& starting from age 14.) It is no wonder with our fast food & processed diets that many kids start smoking around this time of their lives - some even earlier. See the chart on the site. We start as babies needing about 2mg/day (mind you, the US RDAs were set up as average minimums), and this increases as we get older. Metabolic rates and quite a number of other variables need to be accounted for. The chart also shows that it takes 16mgs of tryptophan to meet the equivalent of 1 mg of niacin!

It also states that deficiencies can lead to a plethora of cancers (one study above shows that a deficiency particularly leads to cancers of the throat & mouth, NOT the use of nicotine products! I have to wonder if the cigarette companies knew this when the lawsuits against them were in session?) Those same cigarette companies may not have had access to these statistics, and they may have been actually helping these cancers, not creating them!

eCig companies, I hope, will be aware of these facts... It seems like some countries are trying to sell drugs & kill people.

I hope those at Smoking Everywhere & other companies are aware of these facts.

Just my $0.02:2c:

-Altmed
WOW ! Great post . My sister has crones disease and she was told to eat foods high in nicotine to help her symptoms . She also uses the e- cigarette now because when she smoked anologs she felt better so she couldn't quit . Now she can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread