Sony VTC5A 2500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a fantastic 25A battery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These cells were purchased by me for the purposes of testing. To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 26650, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bottom Line
    The Sony VTC5A is a fantastic 25A 2500mAh battery. It runs at a higher voltage than the Aspire 1800mAh, VTC4/5, 25R, and HD2C and runs for almost as long as the VTC5. I want to do some more comparisons against other cells but this is probably one of the top three best 18650's.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.png

Pulsed-Current Test Results
    image.png image.png

Comments
    • At 10A continuous it reached a bit more than 2300mAh. This is average performance for a 2500mAh cell at 10A so I am rating this cell at 2500mAh.
    • At 15A continuous the temperature rose to 61°C. This is significantly below the average temperature of a cell running at its continuous discharge rating (CDR).
    • At 20A continuous the temperature rose to 73°C. This is a few degrees below the average temperature of a cell running at its CDR.
    • At 25A continuous the temperature rose to 83°C. This is the upper limit for the temperature of a cell running at its CDR and is an indication that this is the cell's true rating. There's no sign of extra sag in the discharge curve that would indicate that the cell was being operated at above its rating.
    • At 30A continuous the temperature rose to 92°C. This is way above the average temperature of a cell running at its CDR and is an indication that we're above the cell's true rating.
    • At 35A continuous, what some feel is the VTC5A's rating, the temperature rose to 105°C. This is a ridiculously high temperature and is above my 100°C safety limit. The voltage has also sagged considerably. This is absolutely not a 35A cell.
    • I am setting a CDR of 25A for this cell. Operating at that level would bring the temperature of this cell up to the upper limit for a cell operating at its CDR. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current level causes damage to the cell, I would expect decent cycle life from this cell at 25A continuous.
    • I have included pulsed discharges but I haven't set pass/fail standards for pulse testing yet. The discharges were done at 5sec on/30sec off, down to 2.5V. One chart shows the entire discharge at each level. The other chart is zoomed in to show the first 5 minutes to make it easier to see the voltage sag at different current levels.
    To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18350 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum
    26650 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Does anyone know who carries these batteries and how to differentiate them from a VCT5?

Check the pictures I have in my test reports for both. Each are marked with their own model number.
    I bought the VTC5A's I tested from www.nkon.nl in the Netherlands.

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    Check the pictures I have in my test reports for both. Each are marked with their own model number.
    I bought the VTC5A's I tested from www.nkon.nl in the Netherlands.
    That's where I buy most my batteries as well :)

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mooch

BobC

Reformed Squonker
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 11, 2013
    Downtown Charleston, SC

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015

We have to wait until someone sells off their surplus and the cells enter the gray market before we have access to them though. Until then they could all even be going to just one customer.

Reactions: MikeyConti
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread