Travel and Vaping How to take ecig through security?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmiVin

Apr 23, 2016
I just returned from a trip to Europe today. I packed the batteries separate, in plastic cases, and the mods loose in the carry on. I had no issues through security or customs in either direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean can you put your mod (without batteries in it) in the checked bags (not the carry one). :)

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
Ah, so the mods by themselves are also prohibited?

From the way they worded it it I would say yes, keep them with you for security reasons. Anymore you could get held up for hours for no good reason if you pack them in your checked baggage.

Reactions: AmiVin

AmiVin

Apr 23, 2016
From the way they worded it it I would say yes, keep them with you for security reasons. Anymore you could get held up for hours for no good reason if you pack them in your checked baggage.

Alright. Thank you for the replies. I'm just worried to have anything taken, as it's certainly not cheap! I'm going to Alaska and that's the main thing I'm worried about. Alaska is a bit more strict with ecigs so I'm just a bit on edge.

Reactions: YoursTruli

gin828

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
PA, USA
I have always carried my batteries in battery cases in my carry on. I have put devices in my checked baggage but never any with batteries in them.

I use to travel a lot internationally never had any issues except for once, I was told to take my device apart, reassemble it and vape it.

I had two friends that were not allowed to take their batteries with them because they didn't have proper cases to store them in.

AmiVin

Apr 23, 2016
I have always carried my batteries in battery cases in my carry on. I have put devices in my checked baggage but never any with batteries in them.

I use to travel a lot internationally never had any issues except for once, I was told to take my device apart, reassemble it and vape it.

I had two friends that were not allowed to take their batteries with them because they didn't have proper cases to store them in.

So when bringing my batteries through security it's required to have them in a battery case? (I mean, that certainly makes sense for safety reasons.)

gin828

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
PA, USA
So when bringing my batteries through security it's required to have them in a battery case? (I mean, that certainly makes sense for safety reasons.)

I can't say for certain that every airport requires it but JFK and Duelles do check it. Batteries stick out big time on X-ray machines. 99 cent case can save you a huge headache :)

AmiVin

Apr 23, 2016
I can't say for certain that every airport requires it but JFK and Duelles do check it. Batteries stick out big time on X-ray machines. 99 cent case can save you a huge headache :)

I wouldn't have time to order a battery case, so do you know anywhere that sells them? I mean, vape shops obviously but do you know if places like Walmart or anything of the sort sells them?

gin828

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
PA, USA
I wouldn't have time to order a battery case, so do you know anywhere that sells them? I mean, vape shops obviously but do you know if places like Walmart or anything of the sort sells them?

Walmart, radio shack, Best Buy

lawyers

Moved On
Jun 23, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Ah, so the mods by themselves are also prohibited?

a mod with no battery is just a box which is of no interest to security

'These devices are battery powered and have a heating element that vaporizes liquid (that may or may not contain nicotine). These devices are prohibited in checked baggage and may only be carried in the aircraft cabin (in carry-on baggage or on your person).'

This applies to the mod plus the battery imho. I dont see how it could be interpreted any other way. Much of this wording and the regs themselves is/are outdated and apply mainly to cigalikes etc I think...For many airlines, any batteries have to be installed in the device and the device switched off for example...Spare batts in a proper case should be fine.

Dopefish

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
I've traveled by plane a couple times with my box mod, just put them in your carry on and pack the batteries separate in a safe container, I've never been hassled by airport security doing this.

Also, it is a good idea to remove your batteries from your mod when you're flying even though the FAA doesn't explicitly tell you to do so. There is always a chance, however small, that something could go very catastrophically wrong with your mod and an airplane is one of the worst places for that to happen

Last edited:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
This applies to the mod plus the battery imho. I dont see how it could be interpreted any other way. Much of this wording and the regs themselves is/are outdated and apply mainly to cigalikes etc I think...For many airlines, any batteries have to be installed in the device and the device switched off for example...Spare batts in a proper case should be fine.

However, even if you were to put a mod in your checked luggage with no battery present, do you want to take the chance of your luggage not showing up when you arrive at your destination? They could very easily pull it aside for more detailed scrutiny, allowing it to miss your flight. Or worse yet, you arrive to find someone took a liking to your mod that was in checked baggage.

To be on the safe side, always carry your mod in your carry-on.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
However, even if you were to put a mod in your checked luggage with no battery present, do you want to take the chance of your luggage not showing up when you arrive at your destination? They could very easily pull it aside for more detailed scrutiny, allowing it to miss your flight. Or worse yet, you arrive to find someone took a liking to your mod that was in checked baggage.

To be on the safe side, always carry your mod in your carry-on.
Its a fair point but I think you would be very unlucky if this happened! I have certainly never suffered that fate and I do about 100000 miles a year! Maybe my time will come lol!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread