Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Early this morning I heard a PSA spot on WBZ radio 1030 AM. It was read by an announcer - no slick production going here - and it is denouncing "sweet candy flavored tobacco products" being pushed by "tobacco manufacturers" as an "enticement for kids" - and more of the usual crap.

They did not call out e-cigs by name, however you know where this is going and where they are pointing the finger.

At the end of the PSA they gave their web site. Said you should "Get Outraged!" over this and visit the web site: http://www.getoutraged.con/ (replace con with com - dunno seems appropriate) That will redirect to the Mass DPH makesmokinghistory site - with their Get Outraged! agenda.

The site is grossly misleading and misfactual, just on the basis of this all being about "tobacco", "tobacco manufacturers" and "smoking". No point in belaboring all the bad here. The question is: Do we need to get out ahead of this campaign and how do we do it?

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
Early this morning I heard a PSA spot on WBZ radio 1030 AM. It was read by an announcer - no slick production going here - and it is denouncing "sweet candy flavored tobacco products" being pushed by "tobacco manufacturers" as an "enticement for kids" - and more of the usual crap.

They did not call out e-cigs by name, however you know where this is going and where they are pointing the finger.

At the end of the PSA they gave their web site. Said you should "Get Outraged!" over this and visit the web site: http://www.getoutraged.con/ (replace con with com - dunno seems appropriate) That will redirect to the Mass DPH makesmokinghistory site - with their Get Outraged! agenda.

The site is grossly misleading and misfactual, just on the basis of this all being about "tobacco", "tobacco manufacturers" and "smoking". No point in belaboring all the bad here. The question is: Do we need to get out ahead of this campaign and how do we do it?

I couldn't like this post. I spent some time on the site and lost my appetite for breakfast. It's not as horrible as CA but it's not pretty. They do mention e-cigs on some of the other pages though with their easy accessibility blah blah blah. There's a twitter page and links to an email for local groups (metro west etc) . The page has a contact us box, but I don't know who it really goes to and doubt it would make a difference. Off to the doctor's office. Hope he understands why my BP may be up!

pineappledan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Dartmouth
Oh yea, come to think about it, so does "tobacco wraps" sold at every convenience store in america.
I spoke on behalf of casaa at the new bedford ma board of health indoor smoking ban back in 2011. It was very clear then that they did not like vapers very much here in massachusetts. I guess that hasn't changed much.

Zipslack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2013
Wesson, MS, USA
Even though I don't live there, I sent a message (polite) with links to CASAA, the UK study, and the previously mentioned John Hopkins study and suggested they take the time to actually research the topic. Also pointed out that they probably enjoy flavors as much as anybody, unless they exist on tofu and water, and nobody is targeting kids.

pineappledan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Dartmouth
their website has a link to a smoking hotline. heres a video for it.

it says "we encourage people looking to quit smoking to have an open mind to anything that will help them quit smoking"
their number is 1800quitnow
I dont have it in me to ask them, but id like to see what they'd say if you called up and asked them about vaping instead of smoking.

Reactions: LaraC

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
their website has a link to a smoking hotline. heres a video for it.

it says "we encourage people looking to quit smoking to have an open mind to anything that will help them quit smoking"
their number is 1800quitnow
I dont have it in me to ask them, but id like to see what they'd say if you called up and asked them about vaping instead of smoking.

This is a NIGHTMARE!
Many of these are funded by Big Pharma....Chantix, Nicorette, Etc..
I just went to the website- nothing on vape.
These guys are out dated...and need to be dragged kicking and scremingcinto the vape century.

Reactions: LaraC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread