Travel and Vaping How to take ecig through security?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I flew from Puerto Rico to the Dominican Republic last week (19 June 16), went through US customs and TSA - no problem. However, returning today from the Dominican Republic (DR) - security confiscated my MVP and clearomizer. They said that electronic cigarettes were not allow to be on a plane leaving the DR. When I asked the supervisor to define electronic cigarette - he couldn't or wouldn't give me an answer. I told him that I did not have an electronic cigarette because I did not have any cigarette substances in my vape. My device does not have any nicotine - just menthol for my aroma therapy. And that the battery was just that, a battery. I showed him the USB port and the output switch that I used to charge my cell phone - which also had a battery in it. I did tell him that if he wanted to confiscate the clearomizer, I would not have a problem with that - they can keep the 3 mils of the menthol only juice. But he would not budge so - he kept everything. I really wanted to break it so no one else could use it - but he wouldn't let me - so I accused him of stealing from me without proper authority. My wife grabbed my arm and said to leave quickly before I was thrown in jail. So I would say - if you want or must go to the DR take the cheapest disposable vape gear with you - knowing that you won't be able to leave the country with it. Don't plan on buying it there - it's way too expensive.

Reactions: Earthtograce

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Looking for any update/experience on this for travel inside the U.S.

Reading this thread, and others, I currently understand that everything goes in the carry-on. But,

- batteries are removed from the mod and stored in a plastic battery case
- Any extra batteries are stored in a plastic battery case
- No juice in toppers
- Max amount of juice in carry-on and in labelled bottles is ????.
- Mod and toppers in zip-lock bag or separate bags ????. I will have 2 mods and 4 RTAs.

I will have new new coils in each topper, but wick will be in toiletries bag since they look like make-up application pads. Mini scissors and Kanthal wire will be in checked bag and separate from each other.

Thanks

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Liquids Rule

The TSA rules on liquids also apply to e-liquid.

As for the mods, take the batteries out (or if fixed, ensure it's off). Toppers, if empty, nothing needed. If you're carrying them with liquid in 'em, leave room for liquid expansion (putting them in a ziplock bag is probably a good idea, just in case).

Lacit1707

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2014
CT
quick question, ill be traveling to Norway in a few weeks, with transfer in Amsterdam. it looks like the regs are the same as here but i have a question since most on here are talking about mods with external batteries.

i have an eleaf istick 50w, built in batteries which obviously cant be removed. Are they going to give me a hard time since the batteries cant be removed?

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
quick question, ill be traveling to Norway in a few weeks, with transfer in Amsterdam. it looks like the regs are the same as here but i have a question since most on here are talking about mods with external batteries.

i have an eleaf istick 50w, built in batteries which obviously cant be removed. Are they going to give me a hard time since the batteries cant be removed?
No... Just remove the topper and ensure the device is "off".
EU.JPG

Have fun
I

73neb

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2014
N. California Bay Area
appreciate the replies...

so no juice in the tank either huh.... also, i can just pack as much juice in my checked baggage, right?

I just flew to Iowa and back last week. I took two squonkers,emptied of juice and batteries, batteries in cases, and juice in 50ml bottles in a quart ziploc. I also took a tesla stealth mod with a Gemini rta full of juice, ready to vape, and put it in the ziploc with no issues going through security. This way, I had something to Vape as soon as I got outside, and didn't have to wait while I put juice and a battery in one of my good mods.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Okay, I re-read everything. Good info.

My next question is based upon situation. I am flying out of the country without a return. I am going to a very isolated place. I can only get so much into my carry-on. Going to an isolated, foreign place, I will need extended vape gear. This is what I need to find an answer for:

Coiler
role of wire
Small scissors
Mini screwdriver
Extra Juice (beyond 100ml that is in carry-on, but max of 100ml more)
Needle-nose pliers

I am thinking to put these in a toiletries bag in my checked bag. Several other items are dual use and will be in my toiletries bag.

I see that all vape-related items are to be carried in carry-on bag, but the situation calls for taking the above items also.

I am looking for input from people that have run into a similar situation and how the airline responded to it, if at all.

Thanks

King_Louie

Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
Southern California
You can carry more than 100ml's, you just have to take great care in insuring that no SINGLE bottle is over 100ml. In fact- if you have the resources- i would play it safe and package up a bunch of 30,50 ml bottles. I may stand corrected, but i dont think theres a 'limit' on fluids, just that you cannot have a single container with over 100ml.

Secondly, unless you are going to korea, tools are fine to carry on with you. wire should prove 0 trouble at all. Just make sure nothing looks pointy and weapon like. The TSA isnt out for vapers, they are out for weapons and terrorists.

I believe it has been said before, but as long as you take simple precautions, and dont act suspicious- answer questions they may ask truthfully, you will be completely fine my friend.

73neb

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2014
N. California Bay Area
I'm not talking about the carry-on. I am concerned with what I put in my checked bag. Since I am going for a long time, the tools are needed.

I was looking for someone who had put items (vaping) in their checked bag and what their experience was. Not an opinion. But thanks all the same.

I carry a small rebuilding kit in my checked bag (scissors, wire, coiler, multi tool, etc.). About half the time when I unpack, there is a notice from TSA that they opened my bag for inspection. Never had anything missing. I've also packed juice in my checked bag without issue. The only thing that I'm aware of that is strictly prohibited in checked bags are batteries. Good luck on your travels.

BTW: I fly about 12-15 times a year, and have been carrying my Vape gear with me for 2-1/2 years.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
Okay, I re-read everything. Good info.

My next question is based upon situation. I am flying out of the country without a return. I am going to a very isolated place. I can only get so much into my carry-on. Going to an isolated, foreign place, I will need extended vape gear. This is what I need to find an answer for:

Coiler
role of wire
Small scissors
Mini screwdriver
Extra Juice (beyond 100ml that is in carry-on, but max of 100ml more)
Needle-nose pliers

I am thinking to put these in a toiletries bag in my checked bag. Several other items are dual use and will be in my toiletries bag.

I see that all vape-related items are to be carried in carry-on bag, but the situation calls for taking the above items also.

I am looking for input from people that have run into a similar situation and how the airline responded to it, if at all.

Thanks

I travel internationally to remote locations. Never had a problem with juice or anything else in checked or carry on bags - I usually carry two suitcases so I put half in one and half in the other - figure if they pilfer one I still am not at a total loss - I use predominately Korean airlines. Batts are limited by total amps being carried (only allowed in carry on) - it is on their site. I think it adds up to about 6 or 8. Since my wife travels with me - I put 4 in mine and 4 in hers. I carry batt recharger, coils, wicks, juice, etc. plus one watch repair kit for tools.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

jhelliwell

Fog master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Sheffielld, UK
I travelled from the UK to Australia recently. I took a freshly wicked atty with no juice in it, 2 batteries in a clear plastic case, and a mod with no atty attached and no batteries inserted. These were all in my hand luggage. Juice was in my checked in hold luggage. I also took cotton and build tools, also checked-in

There were no problems whatsoever.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014

The few times I've been on a plane since starting to vape I carry two mods and two atomizers. For passing through security the atomizers are removed and the mods turned off with 5 clicks. Loose batteries, if any are in silicone sleeves. Early on my vape gear was not familiar to security people, they would study it but pass it. More interesting was security in the Detroit Federal building. I got my vape in the building, for use in the jury room, by wearing a juror tag (I was on jury duty) and going through the employee only entrance.

Tee_Jay

Oct 16, 2015
I fly domestically in Canada a lot. I have a mini eleaf and a COV minivolt. I just put them in the front pocket of my laptop case, which I carry on. No disassembly or emptying of juice from tanks. Never had a problem. I see this as being very similar to carrying a phone or rechargeable shaver.

I noticed in the pre-flight announcements they say: cigarette smoking in the plane is prohibited by law, and Air Canada does not permit the use of e-cigarettes". I take that as "vaping on the plane is not "illegal", however, it is "against the rules". I may even have used the bathroom in the plane a time or two, but I've decidedly not made a habit of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread