AOSO Brown 30A 1600mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...only 15A but 2500mAh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These cells were donated for the purposes of testing by @LilWhiteClouder at ECF. Thank you! To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 26650, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This is only a 15A cell with a very exaggerated rating. Its voltage instantly plunged to below 3.2V when discharged at its 30A rating. What's very weird though is that its capacity in my tests is 2500mAh! My guess is that they are using more than one cell under the wrap and the ones I got are using 2500mAh cells. Its performance is worse than the 2500mAh HE2, HE4, 25R5, and 2600mAh VTC5 so I can't recommend this AOSO cell over those other batteries, or any Samsung/Sony/LG battery for that matter.

The 18650 ratings table has been updated to include this cell.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.png

Pulsed-Current Test Results
    image.png image.png

Comments
    • At 10A continuous it reached 2249mAh. This is way too high for a 1600mAh cell but is average performance for 2500mAh cell at 10A so I am rating this cell at 2500mAh.
    • At 15A continuous the temperature rose to 70°C. This is a few degrees below the average temperature of a cell running at its continuous discharge rating (CDR) but the voltage is already starting to show additional sag. This indicates that we are at or above the cell's true CDR.
    • At 20A continuous the temperature rose to 83°C. This is a few degrees above the average temperature of a cell running at its CDR and is an indication that we are above the cell's true rating. The voltage is showing considerable sag near the start of the discharge.
    • At 25A continuous the temperature rose to 101°C. This is a ridiculously high temperature and is a strong sign that we're above the cell's true CDR.
    • At 30A continuous, the cell's rating, the voltage almost instantly plunged below 3.2V and quickly dropped to the 2.8V cutoff. This is clearly not a 30A cell.
    • I am setting a CDR of 15A for this cell. Operating at that level would bring the temperature near to the average for a cell operating at its CDR. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current level causes damage to the cell, I would expect decent cycle life from this cell at 15A continuous.
    • I have included pulsed discharges but I haven't set pass/fail standards for pulse testing yet. The discharges were done at 5sec on/30sec off, down to 2.5V. One chart shows the entire discharge at each level. The other chart is zoomed in to show the first 5 minutes to make it easier to see the voltage sag at different current levels.
    To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18350/18500 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum
    26650 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 1, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    I am slowly learning that when things seem to good to be true, they normally are;) Thanks for the test results Mooch!! I am really glad I sent these to you before using them in my mechs. Interesting about the mAh. I'll have to pay attention while using them to see if I get something different with the other three I received. Looks like Aoso is worse than Efest when it comes to overstating specs.

Reactions: Mooch

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I am slowly learning that when things seem to good to be true, they normally are;) Thanks for the test results Mooch!! I am really glad I sent these to you before using them in my mechs. Interesting about the mAh. I'll have to pay attention while using them to see if I get something different with the other three I received. Looks like Aoso is worse than Efest when it comes to overstating specs.

Wait until you see the next three AOSO battery test results...smh.
    Thank you for donating the batteries for these tests!

VapieDan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 30, 2013
    Flint, Michigan, United States
    A 15A 2500mAh cell marketed as 30A 1600mAh cell, just no. No no no no

I am getting tired of this. Any battery supplier that overstates the amp rating can't be trusted that you will even get the same rating whatever it is on the next one you purchase since they are all re-wraps anyway. I am so angry at vape shops pushing this junk. It is nothing less than false advertising. I just don't understand it all. One can purchase high quality LG, Sony, Samsung at the same or lower prices. Rant over.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    I am getting tired of this. Any battery supplier that overstates the amp rating can't be trusted that you will even get the same rating whatever it is on the next one you purchase since they are all re-wraps anyway. I am so angry at vape shops pushing this junk. It is nothing less than false advertising. I just don't understand it all. One can purchase high quality LG, Sony, Samsung at the same or lower prices. Rant over.
    False advertising usually means disapointment not 1st degree burns and missing teeth. The way these rewrappers target vapers and put their health at risk should be illegal.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread