Status
Not open for further replies.

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Well, been busy designing at my 3D Workstation- decided to design a few box mods.

Almost the most fun design job in 23 years as a Senior Mechanical Designer - the Jurassic Park II Mobile Command Center was first! Used to be a designer for Fleetwood way, way back. I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

The first mod
27988122285_259f11c6d8_c.jpg

Stainless Steel Faceplate & Buttons shown.
27948759286_4ea9233dd0_o.jpg

View of the PV "chopped" in half, exposing the inner structures.

Modeled in a single block of Oak for the moment. All USA parts, US designed and manufactured.

I have partnered with a good friend of mine who was an electronics tech in the Coast Guard. His specialty was circuit board and micro-electronics soldering - perfect for this purpose.

The parts used include the Evolv DNA75 chipset with temp control & much more, a Fat Daddy's 510 Woody connector and a Keystone battery sled.

Part of the design includes a handful of 3D Printed parts including the chipset mount/button pusher; the battery sled holder & the Faceplate.

So far, I've created three different Faceplates. A flat, featureless basic Face; a flat version "Ohm" Faceplate (shown above), and a Faceplate with a contoured surface that provides a buildup around the buttons to prevent accidental firing:
27704081290_476fbfe74b_c.jpg

The Faceplates (and buttons) will be available in Plastic, Stainless Steel & Brass (shown above). The brass is pricey comparatively speaking. 4x the cost of SS.

This MOD is the first design - a single 18650 DNA75 made as reasonably small as possible:
1-1/4"w x 1-5/8"d x 4-3/8"h. The battery access door is on the edge opposite the Faceplate, slides open and closed, and uses magnets to hold the closed position.

I have an animation of the complete PV coming apart & it shows the door sliding out. For whatever reason, I can't post it - I get an oversized graphic saying something about a capcha, but can't seem to get past it. It's on Flickr here.

An raytraced frame from the animation:
27988089385_ce25b6920d_c.jpg

The doors are cut from the block early in the production process, so they will match the grain when in place. Three different versions of the bodies will be produced - single species solid block; multi-layered, multi species laminated blocks (like our vape stands); and stabilized wood/resin blocks similar to:
s-l1600.jpg

This is from one of my favorite sellers on FleaBay.

As said, this single 18650 version is the first design. A very similar dual 18650 version with the sliding door on the side is currently on the drawing board. A third, Side by Side style is also in my head and waiting to be designed after the dual battery MOD is designed next.

Also considering looking into 26650 possibilities too. Well, whatever I can finalize designs on and have available for order by August 8th...

I still have to order some 3D printed parts to test out sizing and looks before we can build the initial test units. Need to test machining methods and work out proper order of operations, etc...

The protos will actually be two DNA40's from dis-assembled new PV's (bought for this) and one with a new DNA75 chipset. Probably one in Oak or Padauk with a plastic faceplate, multi lamination version, and I have a pretty cool purple, blue, slate and orange piece of stabilized maple burl I will probably utilize for one of them.

Pricing has not been determined yet, but should start out under $200, possibly less - for a DNA75 MOD that is 100% US made, parts and labor ;)

I've even been playing around modeling some custom fire buttons, too...
27704080980_f78979b46d_c.jpg

More updates as they happen-

Rick

Last edited:

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Here's a quick animated gif of the 2x 18650 MOD - this time in a laminated body-
28031497210_2d27b54d25_o.gif

The design is 99% complete, and there are two new 3D printed parts to be test run. Size of the MOD is 1-1/4" x 2-1/2" x 4-1/2". It could be wired in parallel (3.7v) or could use a DNA200 (running @ 133w) if wired in series.

The computer is currently working on an animation of it showing all the parts "exploding" apart. Should have that in a few hours... hopefully ;)

I'm working on a wood Side by Side with a partially enclosed tank area. Looking pretty cool so far - I'll try and get some early pics of just the body soon.

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Hey everyone,

Been busy designing again -
27916035833_0210ba4c8f_c.jpg

This 18650 device will be christened the Model IV or MOD IV. The MOD III is still "on the drawing board", but imagine this MOD with a larger diameter on one end for a 26650 battery and the same sized diameter as this one on the tank end, a bit of a wedge shape. More to come...

Modeled in "Oak" for the moment, but will probably be produced in stab wood or laminated exotic species (actually, whatever you want). It features a Side by Side design; 18650 SS Fat Daddy's battery tube; shorter side mounted faceplate with display and control buttons; top mounted 16mm Bulgari fire button (looking for a US button of same quality). Dims are 2-3/4"w x 4"h x 1-1/4" thick. Stainless steel bottom that will be embossed with the serial number, and can even have your name or other text embossed in it at no additional charge.

There are a few new 3D printed parts I am prepping, and will prepare an exploded animation of this device as well.

In other news, I've almost finished machining a Walnut body for our MOD I device, and have prepped an awesome Caribbean Rosewood & African Wenge laminated block to be the body of our MOD II design. I'm still waiting on a shipment of 3D printed parts to begin assembling our first two designs!

When we've prepped the website for sales, there will be a configurator that will allow you to select several options with all the mods. Wood choices, SS, Brass or plastic hardware such as faceplates, buttons and connectors. Every MOD will be hand made for each customer, and carry a six month warranty.

Thanks,

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Nice work! What are software are you using to model and render?
Thanks - It's Autodesk Inventor 2017, borrowed from my son in college. I used Inventor & AutoCAD mainly when I was working. Some 3D Studio work as well.

I have the body for the first physical prototype ready for the final finishing step - then we can assemble it and I can get you guys some pics of the first real thing.
27999390384_a7ddc1feba_c.jpg

It's a Model I, the smallest single 18650 we make. Not in the model is the thumb well. The door fits so nicely, I had to "tap" or "pack" the MOD like a pack of cigs to get it to slide down (remember doing that?). It slides easier now. Magnetic door holder (not shown).

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
I'll have to look into that. I teach Maya for game design. Haven't used AutoCAD since v12, I think. I'm guessing Inventor supports .stl export for 3D printing?

Maya - cool. I think Autodesk owns Maya now, and Alias. Yes, .stl export - plus it does FEA that helps with failure analysis. Handy for flexible parts.

I found a great free alternative for AutoCAD that is so close to it, I can run it with my eyes closed practically. Same shortcuts, interface looks almost the same - it's called DraftSight. It's limited because there is a paid for "Pro" version, but I have never ran into an issue with anything I wanted to do with it. All the 2D drawings were done with it.

Rick

Last edited:

Zipslack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2013
Wesson, MS, USA
I have seen DraftSight- it seemed to be pretty good alternative to AutoCAD. Autodesk has an education option which basically allows schools to have 125 (or more) licenses to most of their products for free use in the classroom. Students with valid school email addresses can also get free 3-year licenses for about 26 different products. Since they started that, I haven't used Blender or looked further into DraftSight.

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
I have seen DraftSight- it seemed to be pretty good alternative to AutoCAD. Autodesk has an education option which basically allows schools to have 125 (or more) licenses to most of their products for free use in the classroom. Students with valid school email addresses can also get free 3-year licenses for about 26 different products. Since they started that, I haven't used Blender or looked further into DraftSight.

Blender is an amazing piece of software for free - also PovRay is fun with a GUI.

Yes, the assembly demo was done on my son's 3yr edu license copy. I've done the modeling on my work computer at my previous employer. Actually, I've had access since I left and can remote into a workstation still!

For my 2D, DraftSight is great - better than shelling the bucks for Acad light.

I'm playing with a free 3D cad modeler at the moment. I can always lease AD software by the month, but unless major changes occur, nothing to design after 8/8.

Luckily, a vape stand is an accessory, and does not fall under the Deeming- 2D is fine there in most cases.

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
It took some doing, but we finally have the Box MOD section inserted into the Absolute website - we have pull down menus to choose practically every option we have - there are some kinks to work out I'm sure - but it's fully operational! And, before 8.8

US Made Box MODs

upload_2016-8-4_22-22-13.png

Hand made in US box mods with many options
ABSOLUTE-WOOD.COM

Whew! Finally!

Rick ;)

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Hey Everybody-

Got the body of the first proto clear coated, and handed it over to Jim for electrical & assembly. Here's a pic of the body and door before clear coat:

MOD I WALNUT-001

Machining for the second Proto, a Model II in Caribbean Rosewood & Wenge:

Cutting the body cavity - you can see the cutter is cutting through the Wenge, leaving Rosewood under and to the left of the bit. It almost hurts to turn so much Rosewood into wood chips...

The purpose of prototypes are to see and learn from what you forgot, missed, screwed up on, etc... I learned I need to cut the full door detail on the body before I cut the body cavity out. When clamping the body after the cavity is there, the top edges actually bend over somewhat unevenly and caused the match between the door and the opening to gap at the top of the door - lesson learned. Same with the door, it's only 1/4" thick and can't be clamped too tightly or it bows up in the center causing issues trying to make it flat and of even thickness across.

The set, ready to be sanded-

MOD II PROTO MACHINED

Going to work on one more MOD to try and get on the website before Monday. Probably won't make it - but that just means I can't sell it online, I can still make it ;) (ya know, for ME...) Going to be a single 18650 with a battery tube, and more curved and shapely than the boxes or the Side by Sides - trying to get it as small as possible. Sure I'll have pics at some point...

Cheers,

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Had a busy time the last 24 hours...

In "Just Under the Wire" news... Yesterday, we had four mods. Today, we have six! I was hoping to finish one more, but managed to create two new bodies that use battery tubes:

Mod V
MOD-05b
Both utilize a Fat Daddy's SS Battery tube (18650 shown). The 26650 version will have a slightly larger body. These allow the choice of an exposed tube, or not - up to the owner.

Mod VI
MOD-06b
These two MODs differ from the others in that they employ extensive "large drum" sanding - gives them an "hourglass" shape. I'll get more pics up shortly, but have to spend most of today revising the MOD page-
Got the other pics up!

Light 'em Up!

Last edited:

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Love what you're doing here! I'm partial to the model in your OP but I wouldn't mind owning any of these.

It seems like a bad time to get in the business based on your location though. Are you planning to apply for FDA approval and actually produce these or are you more just a hobbyist/ daydreamer?

Thanks for the kind words-

Luckily, my Vape Stands don't fall under FDA rule. I've been up and running since 2012 doing that. I'll continue to make stands, and probably expand to other products like coffee table i-Pad stands and such.

I've been asked in the past to make PVs based on the woodworking in the stands. I've tried soldering dozens of times and read up a little, and I'm still dismal with it. There were plenty of Modders making awesome products, so I didn't see the need. But with Deeming...

If it's available for sale tommorow or before, it gets to stay on the market until the pre market evaluation data gathering time period is over in two years (I've read something about 135 days?). That's when it all goes away if nothing changes. I certainly can't gather about a million dollars for each product to continue selling - with all the options, there would be dozens of sku's. I'll stop selling officially and online when the day comes.

But I'm sure I'll stay in contact with all my new family members, friends and acquaintances for many years to come. ;)

The age verification starts tomorrow. I'm looking at services, but it appears you can do it on your own for the moment. I feel sorry for customers because it's going to be a pain in the bung hole - I have to give you a "code"; you take a selfie holding your picture id and the code written on a piece of paper; make a photocopy of your id and send both pics to me.

Now I know it's you making the order. The services basically automate this process and add databases to strengthen the identification.

I understand the need, but what a pain-

Rick

Reactions: OhTheAgony

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
Oh hey, I didn't realize you're the same fellow that makes those beautiful stands as well.

I hope you guys get things sorted out sooner rather than later. It would be such a shame to see small operations like yours disappear all together. Hopefully we can laugh about this some day and maybe even be able to buy those designs of yours ;)

The age-verification thingie was just introduced on our side of the pond as well but there seems to be a lot of confusion about it. Some stores outside of the country but in the EU stopped selling to other countries entirely until they have a system in place while others don't even check your age and appear to get away with it, it's a bit of a mess.

Hang in there!

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Hopefully we can laugh about this some day and maybe even be able to buy those designs of yours ;)

I have a feeling that many of us are/will develop more "pen pals" and forums will see the number of PMs start climbing higher and higher.

Our government doesn't seem to understand that we are a family, & you don't break a family up - it's not right - we'll just continue, but behind closed doors.

Reactions: B2L

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
I am diggin these.

Will the squonker have the RDA inset or cage thing on the III and IV models?

On the Model IV can it be made without the scalloped cutout under the button?

And of course finally, what time frames are on these?

Thanks-

Yes, the design will look essentially the same with added bottle hole(s). Of course, the connector changes.

No problem with deleting the exposed battery tube. I need to add a pulldown to choose this option.

As far as a time frame, we are working on the first two proto's now, a Mod I & II. I expect those to be operational in the next week or two.

I'll start on the III & IV next, and can make one as a squonker - it's a good idea anyway, thanks. So, expect to see posts starting about the Side by Side proto(s) in the next 10 days or so. May only make the one - both are very similar. Could start a V or VI at the same time...

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread