Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Yeah okay, that's making more sense, one other thing, when making your own juice how do you know where to start with % of flavour, I wanna make a sour apple but don't know where to start with % of concentrate
First thing I do is look at the website where I purchased the flavoring and see if they list a suggested starting point, then look at the reviews(sometimes posters will list what they have used). Failing that, look the the manufacturer's website and see if they list suggestions(some do, some don't).
Then smell the bottle....lol....see if it has a strong type of scent or faint one. This can determine how dominate the ejuice can be. If it is a stand alone flavor, you are usually pretty safe starting @5% and adjusting to taste. If it is to be the main ingredient(but not the only one) then it needs to be more than the others you add.

You can also go to the website the other poster listed and see if any recipes listed appeal to you.
Hope this helps.
:)

nedwood

May 28, 2016
Worcestershire
First thing I do is look at the website where I purchased the flavoring and see if they list a suggested starting point, then look at the reviews(sometimes posters will list what they have used). Failing that, look the the manufacturer's website and see if they list suggestions(some do, some don't).
Then smell the bottle....lol....see if it has a strong type of scent or faint one. This can determine how dominate the ejuice can be. If it is a stand alone flavor, you are usually pretty safe starting @5% and adjusting to taste. If it is to be the main ingredient(but not the only one) then it needs to be more than the others you add.

You can also go to the website the other poster listed and see if any recipes listed appeal to you.
Hope this helps.
Thanks buddy helps loads :) just wanna start saving some money and I'm spending at least £60 a month on juice lol

McAnythingReally

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2015
Albany, NY
Your best bet also is to try each of the flavors that you have at varying percentages by themselves. I usually start at 5% and go up or down from there. I try to find the maximum before the flavor diminishes and becomes almost chemical like, and the minimum where it only becomes an accent. There is a lot of trial and error involved in starting DIY, but its all part of the journey. Its always best to start with a recipe or two and make those exact, to give yourself some confidence. Then branch out from there. Best of luck to you my friend! and just know you can always ask questions here and we will do our best to assist!

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Just my 2c as you've already gotten a lot of good advice, but when making your own recipes it's really just trial and error and figuring out roughly what percentages are good with each flavor. It doesn't take as much time as it might seem up front. I also always recommend finding some recipes online that you think look good and ordering based on those. I'm sure you could find a sour apple recipe (or 100 of them) to start with and if they're not to your liking, tweak as needed.

This still requires a certain amount of experience in terms of recognizing when something is particularly strong or weak, but a good way to test flavors when first getting them is by putting a drop or two into a shot glass of water and swishing it around in your mouth. Any flavor you use for vaping will (or should) be food-safe so can be swallowed, but I usually swish and spit with a new flavor.

Squidward

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
United States
What happens if I don't add the sour or koolada. Simply because I have all the flavor but those. Sounds good tho :thumb:

Personally, I don't care for Koolada so I don't add it to this recipe, and I've dialed the sour back to 1% so I don't think leaving it out would do much damage either, but I'm going for more of a Dragonfruit/Pomegranate nectar and less of a citrus punch quality, so I'm also pulling the Citrus Punch back a bit as well.

I'm on my fifth minor revision and like this blend quite well:

TFA Citrus Punch 4%
TFA Dragonfruit 8%
TFA Pomegranate 9%
TFA Sour 1%

I'd definitely try a small test batch without the sour and if you like the flavor, add a bottle of TFA Sour & TFA Koolada to your next order and see what it does for you.

dv8t

Moved On
Jul 30, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Multiple accounts are not permitted on ECF.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I'm on my fifth minor revision and like this blend quite well:

To be fair, looking at what you posted it's almost a completely different concoction based on my recipe. Not that there's anything wrong with that!! But, and correct me if I'm wrong, I've got to imagine with that amount of pom and dragonfruit, that particular recipe tastes more like a blend of the two with a citrus kick? Whereas the original is more the opposite. TFA's Citrus Punch is fairly strong though. I tend to have trouble when the TFA dragonfruit exceeds 7-8% in any recipe; it just doesn't hold up well for my tastes but of course that is subjective.

All that said, obviously a huge point of DIY is getting to do what works with you, so I love it when people play with my recipes :)

I agree there's no real issue leaving out the sour, but for me adding a pinch does make a big difference. It's more of a flavor enhancer than a pucker. leaving it out surely wouldn't be horrible though.

Squidward

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
United States
To be fair, looking at what you posted it's almost a completely different concoction based on my recipe. Not that there's anything wrong with that!! But, and correct me if I'm wrong, I've got to imagine with that amount of pom and dragonfruit, that particular recipe tastes more like a blend of the two with a citrus kick? Whereas the original is more the opposite. TFA's Citrus Punch is fairly strong though. I tend to have trouble when the TFA dragonfruit exceeds 7-8% in any recipe; it just doesn't hold up well for my tastes but of course that is subjective.

All that said, obviously a huge point of DIY is getting to do what works with you, so I love it when people play with my recipes :)

I agree there's no real issue leaving out the sour, but for me adding a pinch does make a big difference. It's more of a flavor enhancer than a pucker. leaving it out surely wouldn't be horrible though.

My real purpose in replying to Vape1000RR was just to encourage him to give it a try without the Koolada and sour, just to get a taste of how delicious the recipe is and to see if it was to his liking before he ordered up the rest of the ingredients.

Your original recipe was my first taste of Koolada and while I found the sensation interesting, it really wasn't to my liking. Perhaps I'll develop a taste for it over time, but the rest of the recipe was so tasty that I elected to go Koolada-free with it. Babies and bathwater, as it were.

But the main reason I'm playing with the recipe is that something in it kind of catches in my throat about half the time and makes me want to cough, so I'm progressively dialing up the DF/Pom while dialing down the tart and trying to warm it up a little to find my sweet spot, while retaining at least some of the complexity of the original recipe.

I didn't realize that this was actually your recipe - very nice! Where can I find more of your recipes?

Love the Futurama quote in your sig, by the way... that's one of my favorite Futurama moments/episodes.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
7% TFA Citrus Punch
3% TFA Dragonfruit
4% TFA Pomegranate
2% TFA Sour
1-3% TFA Koolada

Shake and vape. Steeping helps a little as always, but good to go immediately.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention that this is a "tank version." This is OK for RDAs and I do use the same juice for both sometimes, but it might be too much for some. Only you know your taste sensitivities. I have also enjoyed this same recipe cut down by a quarter or half, with the latter being a fairly lightly flavored vape for me.
Mixed this up and am vaping now. Thank you dd. I plan on making a much bigger batch when I do the others I like and have in my daily rotation. I only mix maybe once every few months, but when I do, its for all big bottles, usually 250ml or 500ml. That way I have juice for months and don't have to worry about running out. When I find a new recipe I like, usually mix 15ml for a couple of tanks for a run through then if I like it, do the bigger bottles.

Steelgirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Houston, Tx
Glad I ran across this today, as I'm about to mix up my usuals. Will be good to try something new. Sadly I don't have any pom, so I'm gonna try it with raspberry as a sub. I'll add pom to my next order from tfa so I can try this recipe as it was intended. I vape primarily using rda's, so I did cut back a bit on %s.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
@Sugar_and_Spice the way you do things is so smart! I've been mixing a long time but tend to make things as I go most of the time. I have one recipe I use 90% of the time so I keep a huge bottle of premixed flavoring and make 20mL as I need it... But your way sounds so much better. Glad you like it!!

As for your other question, blueberry and watermelon and koolada, yes I do think raspberry would be good with those. You could also try some strawberry. There's a recipe floating around for "aqua berry blast" that I really enjoy and is watermelon, blueberry, strawberry, koolada, and a bit of sour if I remember right!

@Steelgirl yes I think raspberry would work just fine. :)

@The Real Squidward that all makes sense. Like I said, I wasn't taking issue with you fixing up my recipe or advising someone else whatsoever! Just commenting on the differences :) and yes I don't post recipes unless they are 100% mine or else heavily doctored from found recipes. Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like some more. I just haven't posted many but I'm not trying to keep them private or anything :) I've got a few more I've been meaning to post.

If you look for "Cabana Boy" on here, that's my recipe and my ADV... But I can't 100% remember if the thread on here is my most recent/best iteration of that juice. It's an orange/pineapple/peach/strawberry mix. Koolada makes an appearance in a lot of my fruit recipes, as does sour, but I consider both pretty much always optional. The sour is more important than the koolada to me (in general) because I feel like even really small amounts can just make the right recipe really shine.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
@Sugar_and_Spice

As for your other question, blueberry and watermelon and koolada, yes I do think raspberry would be good with those. You could also try some strawberry. There's a recipe floating around for "aqua berry blast" that I really enjoy and is watermelon, blueberry, strawberry, koolada, and a bit of sour if I remember right!
Thank you so much. Searched and easily found in the DIY thread. Posting here so others can see. Definitely giving this one a try. :)

AQUA BERRY BLAST

9% Watermelon (TPA)

7% Blueberry (TPA)

4% Strawberry (TPA)

2% Menthol or Koolada

1 Drop per 3ML (Tart & Sour)

This is a great Sweet/Sour Fruit with a cold blast!

By buzzbait

eta...Also gonna put some raspberry in there to see if it adds anything.

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
@Sugar_and_Spice the way you do things is so smart! I've been mixing a long time but tend to make things as I go most of the time. I have one recipe I use 90% of the time so I keep a huge bottle of premixed flavoring and make 20mL as I need it... But your way sounds so much better. Glad you like it!!
Thank you so much but the truth is I do it this way for a couple of reasons

First, it drastically cuts down my mixing time if I do it all in one or two days. I simply can't devote the time it takes to do a little at a time so this just works for me.

Second, it any of the mixes need steeping they have plenty of time to do so.

Once in a while, the mood to find a new juice strikes me and I can play around with the flavors and not have to worry if it is gonna turn out ok. Having juice already prepared and ready to vape relieves the pressure and I don't feel pushed to hurry up. LOL

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm almost the opposite. I can't sit and work on juice for hours... I mean I can certainly sit and focus for a while with it when I need to, but I guess it does kind of work for me to devote tiny little flashes of time to make my juice most of the time, and just sit when I want to sit and feel the urge to play around.

Not having to worry about how it turns out, I definitely get. That's how I feel having my ADV mix always around. I know I ALWAYS have that as a back up if something turns out cruddy, and it tastes good as a shake and vape but since I have the mix premade it steeps anyway.

I honestly just love hearing about other DIYers patterns/methods, I always pick up on something! And I think the trick I learned from you is to stock up on some bigger bottles and keep more like 5-6 bottles of my favorites around, premixed. With the amount I use my ADV, most of those would last me for months and then they're ready to go ASAP. I honestly can't believe I didn't do that sooner since I already do it with one, but I think it's truly just that every time I make an order I run out of money before I can get to "extra" (storage) bottles. Now I'll remember!

Do you tend to put the amount of premixed flavoring needed per 10mL right on the bottle, or do you just go into your recipes and check? I mean of course I'll do whatever works best for me in that regard, just curious :)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm almost the opposite. I can't sit and work on juice for hours... I mean I can certainly sit and focus for a while with it when I need to, but I guess it does kind of work for me to devote tiny little flashes of time to make my juice most of the time, and just sit when I want to sit and feel the urge to play around.

Not having to worry about how it turns out, I definitely get. That's how I feel having my ADV mix always around. I know I ALWAYS have that as a back up if something turns out cruddy, and it tastes good as a shake and vape but since I have the mix premade it steeps anyway.

I honestly just love hearing about other DIYers patterns/methods, I always pick up on something! And I think the trick I learned from you is to stock up on some bigger bottles and keep more like 5-6 bottles of my favorites around, premixed. With the amount I use my ADV, most of those would last me for months and then they're ready to go ASAP. I honestly can't believe I didn't do that sooner since I already do it with one, but I think it's truly just that every time I make an order I run out of money before I can get to "extra" (storage) bottles. Now I'll remember!

Do you tend to put the amount of premixed flavoring needed per 10mL right on the bottle, or do you just go into your recipes and check? I mean of course I'll do whatever works best for me in that regard, just curious :)
Yes I do put some of them right on the bottle, but that is usually the ones with only 1 or two flavors. On the ones that take 3 or more flavors, I have them in writing in my note book. I really need to re-organize them soon cause pages are getting worn and they really should be put online or at least on a flash drive.
I have made it a habit that if I am ordering from a DIY vendor to always check their supply of bottles and caps that they offer. Usually, if the price is right, I will pick up a couple at a time. Seems to have worked out for me so far. Depending on what I have on my mind determines whether its glass or plastic.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Yes, I always order bottles when I'm ordering flavors and VG/PG etc., but I almost always only order "usable" bottles, i.e. ones that I will carry around with me. Storage bottles are usually a little pricier than should be on the 2-3 places I pretty much always order from, so I've gotta make a note for myself to go Amazon or elsewhere.

And yeah, I do most of my recipe work in a notebook. I just transfer the ones I know are good into a word file. Growing steadily!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread