In'Ax MkIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaya

ECF Veteran
Oh, man. Got home today, decided to get back on the horse. Immediately found success... i mean stark, raving success! This is a GREAT atomizer and I finally have its quirks and eccentricities figured out! Every new atty brings with it significant challenges... but what a 'high' it is to conquer that self-imposed Mount Olympus during your bleakest hour :)

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
Looks like a beauty Vaya!!!! I love the center post wicking on the in ax gear. It's very unique. My in ax carto beat me up for a couple hrs lol, but now works well

I'm glad you figured it out! I bought one for my Billet Box and IBTankeds and can't for the life of me get it right! I'm trying for a 1.8ish ohm coil and can't get it above 1. No matter what wire I try, how many wraps, then hot spots randomly pop up. I get them all worked out, and once I juice it another one pops up somewhere else!

Give me some pointers please! I'm no slouch when it comes to gennys. I used a Zen for months. What is your mesh cut measurements, and what size wire do you recommend? I have 30 and 32g.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

300fury

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2013
Rochester mn usa
I am using 32, I had stability issues for a while. Not sure about the mesh dimensions I know it is a little shorter than the positive pole. I like to use micro coils on most things but this does NOT work on this atty. my coil is a 3, 4 wrap very evenly spaced it comes in at 1.5 ohms. The thickness of the rolled mesh has to be loose in the wick hole for proper wicking. Hope that helps!!! Good luck

Reactions: Vaya

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
I am using 32, I had stability issues for a while. Not sure about the mesh dimensions I know it is a little shorter than the positive pole. I like to use micro coils on most things but this does NOT work on this atty. my coil is a 3, 4 wrap very evenly spaced it comes in at 1.5 ohms. The thickness of the rolled mesh has to be loose in the wick hole for proper wicking. Hope that helps!!! Good luck
Thanks for the info. I know the "recommended" piece of the mesh you cut was like 20mm by 50mm or something like that but I found that was WAYYY to thick once rolled up to fit down into the slot and ended up having to cut it like 20 x 40 or something like that to get it to fit. I'll keep trying, cause I love the device and it wasn't cheap! I want to be able to use it!

Reactions: 300fury

Vaya

ECF Veteran
I'm glad you figured it out! I bought one for my Billet Box and IBTankeds and can't for the life of me get it right! I'm trying for a 1.8ish ohm coil and can't get it above 1. No matter what wire I try, how many wraps, then hot spots randomly pop up. I get them all worked out, and once I juice it another one pops up somewhere else!

Give me some pointers please! I'm no slouch when it comes to gennys. I used a Zen for months. What is your mesh cut measurements, and what size wire do you recommend? I have 30 and 32g.

Any help would be appreciated!

I'd be more than happy to help! The In'Ax is a little finicky but once 3 main points are addressed, its been an absolute dream.

1.) the wick must be slightly elevated on the center post such that it is not touching the base of the atomizer.
2.) the wick must be not so fat such that it is not pressing, at all, into the walls of the wick hole in the build deck.
3.) the wick must be placed in such a way that the top of it is not touching the grypstick or threaded nut (depending on which centerpost you're using).

I did a lot of digging the next morning, after the disastrous first attempt, and literally took notes and collected pictures LOL. Here are some that illustrate what I mean by the wick's placement relative to the nut (or grypstick):

And based on the successes of others, these are the exact measurements and materials I used in my setup (i'll do this step by step):

**Before I begin: After I posted this I scrolled up and read through the rest of the comments. Those wick measurements are *way* too much (30 x 45, 20 x 50, etc.). When i first made these cuts, I looked at them and said to myself 'theres no way this is sufficient! This is so small!" I decided to proceed anyway, and I cant recommend strongly enough to just follow the measurements I took down from others. Suspend your disbelief!

Step 1:
Cut a 10mm (height) x 20mm (width) piece of #200sf
Step 2:
Cut a 7mm (height) x 10mm (width) "upper sleeve" of #300 mesh
Step 3:
Torch each on both sides for a total of 10 seconds.
Step 4:
Roll the #200sf into a full length wick around the provided rolling pin.
Step 5:
Roll the #300 mesh as an upper sleeve around the 200sf wick that is still around the rolling pin. Roll the whole thing fairly tightly, although not 'stiff.'
Step 5:
Remove from rolling pin and torch for 5 seconds.
Step 6:
Drench the wick in e-liquid (I used 100% PG), light it on fire and let it burn off by itself (hold it away from your face, it may 'spit' as it burns). Repeat this three times.
Step 7.
Place wick on centerpost, orienting it how I've described (slightly elevated from touching the atty base, slightly below the grypstick or threaded nut [refer to pictures for this part])
Step 8:
wrap your coil using 4 wraps of 0.3mm (28g) kanthal wrapped counter-clockwise. At this point I have the atomizer on a mech mod, am holding the wire length trapped at the positive end out to one side, and rotate the mod itself as I 'release,' in small spurts, the wire from my hand (like spinning on a loom).
*Prior to wrapping the coil, I straightened the wire with a drill, and then annealed its length briefly with a chef's torch to reduce springiness and reduce hot spotting.
Step 9:
Loop negative lead into the groove and trap it with the negative secure nut.
Step 10: Work out hot spots.
*At this point I moved the atomizer from a mech mod onto a box and began at 5W. Rapidly moved to 7, and had it working great by the time I hit 10W.
I used ceramic tweezers to lightly 'brush' the coil from top to bottom and bottom to top while firing it in order to even out its conductivity. Working out the hotspots pretty much took less than 60 seconds (after FIVE HOURS OF FAILURE the night before!!!)

There you go! I hope this helped you as much as it did me!

Vaya

ECF Veteran
Yes, I'm pretty sure the length I used was around 35 or 40. Keep at it , it's great to bring carto tanks to life again!!! Billet box=jealous. @Vaya didn't mean to hijack the thread . Just love to talk gennies and mesh

I'm the same way brother, hijack away!!!!

Reactions: 300fury

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
I'd be more than happy to help! The In'Ax is a little finicky but once 3 main points are addressed, its been an absolute dream.

1.) the wick must be slightly elevated on the center post such that it is not touching the base of the atomizer.
2.) the wick must be not so fat such that it is not pressing, at all, into the walls of the wick hole in the build deck.
3.) the wick must be placed in such a way that the top of it is not touching the grypstick or threaded nut (depending on which centerpost you're using).

I did a lot of digging the next morning, after the disastrous first attempt, and literally took notes and collected pictures LOL. Here are some that illustrate what I mean by the wick's placement relative to the nut (or grypstick):

And based on the successes of others, these are the exact measurements and materials I used in my setup (i'll do this step by step):

**Before I begin: After I posted this I scrolled up and read through the rest of the comments. Those wick measurements are *way* too much (30 x 45, 20 x 50, etc.). When i first made these cuts, I looked at them and said to myself 'theres no way this is sufficient! This is so small!" I decided to proceed anyway, and I cant recommend strongly enough to just follow the measurements I took down from others. Suspend your disbelief!

Step 1:
Step 2:
Step 3:
Step 4:
Step 5:
Roll the #300 mesh as an upper sleeve around the 200sf wick that is still around the rolling pin. Roll the whole thing fairly tightly, although not 'stiff.'
Step 5:
Step 6:
Drench the wick in e-liquid (I used 100% PG), light it on fire and let it burn off by itself (hold it away from your face, it may 'spit' as it burns). Repeat this three times.
Step 7.
Place wick on centerpost, orienting it how I've described (slightly elevated from touching the atty base, slightly below the grypstick or threaded nut [refer to pictures for this part])
Step 8:
wrap your coil using 4 wraps of 0.3mm (28g) kanthal wrapped counter-clockwise. At this point I have the atomizer on a mech mod, am holding the wire length trapped at the positive end out to one side, and rotate the mod itself as I 'release,' in small spurts, the wire from my hand (like spinning on a loom).
*Prior to wrapping the coil, I straightened the wire with a drill, and then annealed its length briefly with a chef's torch to reduce springiness and reduce hot spotting.
Step 9:
*At this point I moved the atomizer from a mech mod onto a box and began at 5W. Rapidly moved to 7, and had it working great by the time I hit 10W.
I used ceramic tweezers to lightly 'brush' the coil from top to bottom and bottom to top while firing it in order to even out its conductivity. Working out the hotspots pretty much took less than 60 seconds (after FIVE HOURS OF FAILURE the night before!!!)

I screenshot the instructions and will try it tomorrow! Thanks for the help! I'll let you know how it turns out!

Thanks again!!

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

bgmat58

Verified Member
Nov 29, 2013
Austin, TX

Step 1:
Step 2:
Step 3:
Step 4:
Step 5:
Step 5:
Step 6:
Step 7.
Step 8:
Step 9:

Firstly, I want to thank Mr. Vaya for his help in successfully building two gennies! I bought a Nextasis to replace my in'ax based on his glowing review for it. I contacted him once it arrived and we spent a few (4 maybe?! lol) hours back and forth messaging helping me out with every speed bump I encountered. Needless to say after a very frustrating evening trying to get it operational, I finally got it!

With my new tips and tricks I learned last night, I decided to put all of that into a new build for the In'ax. I followed the above directions precisely except I used #325 mesh as I did not have any #300. Those wick measurements are perfect, PERFECT! Not loose, not tight.. just right! And the topper idea I had heard of but never attempted myself. It's genius!

Anyone looking to get a proper build on their In'ax needs to try this build, vaya has so kindly put it out there for all of us. He did all the legwork to find the perfect build, there is no guessing involved!

I was planning to sell it prior to trying this build but there is no way I am letting it go with the awesome flavor I am getting from it now with a proper build.

Vaya, your knowledge is indispensable and your willingness to help others is what makes forums like these so awesome :)

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Vaya, a question please mate.

You said cut the inner mesh to 10mm X20 mm and roll the wick, and then put a 7mm x 10mm top section on it.. I am not using a Mk3, so i don't know, (But i intend getting one as you know).. which way round do you roll the wick? is the 10 mm the height of the wick or is it the 20 ml side the height of the wick.. i.e. how long is the MKIII center post mate?
same for the small outer wick? is the height 10mm or 7mm please?

I know on my MkIIR i use a wick of 17mm height which seems to fit nicely..

Cheers mate.. have been looking today at these... the wife will kill me!:eek:

Reactions: thetrucker

Vaya

ECF Veteran
i think i noted above, but 10mm is the height, and 20mm i the width of the wick. :)

When cutting your mesh, you'll see there natural vertical lines running up and down the square or sheet of mesh. Make those vertical lines the 'height' of the wick. If you're unsure of what I mean, please let me know!

Reactions: thetrucker

Vaya

ECF Veteran
Wow.. 10 mm is a short wick..much shorter for this model than any of the others then...That's why i was a tad confused which was the height mate.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Vaya...looking forward to trying one of these out..

it looks EXTREMELY tiny when you make it, but @bgmat58 will attest that it's simply the perfect height... at least for the MKIII, but I cant imagine it would be that drastically different from the MKIIr especially with the same threaded centerpost that you've said you just got!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread