Basen Black 50A 5000mAh 26650 Bench Test Results...an untestable battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These cells were donated for the purposes of testing by Basen. Thank you! To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 26650, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This Basen showed a huge range of performance between the four cells I tested, including one which was essentially a dud. In addition, it appears that the cells were either in storage for a very long time or they weren't "formed" (initialized) at the factory properly because they needed three cycles to stabilize near their final performance levels...which were all over the place. I am unable to rate this battery and cannot recommend buying it.

The 26650 ratings table has been updated to include this cell.

Continuous-Current Test Results (first cycle)
    image.png

Continuous-Current Test Results (third cycle)
    image.png

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18350/18500 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum
    26650 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    These cells were donated for the purposes of testing by Basen.
    Bottom Line
    This Basen showed a huge range of performance between the four cells I tested, including one which was essentially a dud. In addition, it appears that the cells were either in storage for a very long time or they weren't "formed" (initialized) at the factory properly... I am unable to rate this battery and cannot recommend buying it.
    One would think that if a battery manufacturer was donating their product for review, that they would insure that they were sending that reviewer the best examples of their product for the best chance for an acceptable review.

It appears that Basen failed to do that. Someone at the company needs to answer for error.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    One would think that if a battery manufacturer was donating their product for review, that they would insure that they were sending that reviewer the best examples of their product for the best chance for an acceptable review.

It appears that Basen failed to do that. Someone at the company needs to answer for error.

Someone should answer for sourcing such lousy cells and trying to sell them to us too. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread